Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2010, 11:09 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
"On your second point, that hasn't been true for years. With the exception of the special break for buying a new car or RV in 2009, you can deduct either state income taxes or sales taxes, not both."

That's not exactly accurate. The state tax is always deductible and the state refund is then claimed as income on the next years taxes. The sales taxes (use tax) is additionally deductible if it exceeds a certain amount. Best to check with a tax accountant for the details. There are some deductions that are only for certain states, i.e. in Arizona all our license plate fees are deductible. Our registration fees for cars and motorhomes runs into the thousands here! I use a CPA for my taxes because I want to be sure that I get all the deductions that I am entitled to. Happy Travels, Joe

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2010, 12:27 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
That's not exactly accurate. The state tax is always deductible and the state refund is then claimed as income on the next years taxes. The sales taxes (use tax) is additionally deductible if it exceeds a certain amount.
Not true anymore. At least for 2009 (2010 not published yet). You can deduct one or the other, and if you elect to deduct the sales tax, you can either deduct actual or calculated (and the IRS has a nifty online calculator to use).

Sales Tax Deduction Calculator

joe

Old 10-10-2010, 04:03 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
Not true anymore. At least for 2009 (2010 not published yet). You can deduct one or the other, and if you elect to deduct the sales tax, you can either deduct actual or calculated (and the IRS has a nifty online calculator to use).

Sales Tax Deduction Calculator

Joe
I guess that's why I use a CPA for my taxes. I bookmarked that site, pretty interesting. Thanks, Joe
Old 10-10-2010, 04:36 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
I called the credit union that holds our MH loan. They said that they are well aware of the MH loan interest being deductible and they are sending tax forms out after the year end. The credit union happens to be right in the huge Voyager RV Resort Tucson, AZ. Happy travels, Joe
Old 10-10-2010, 10:00 PM   #33

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
"On your second point, that hasn't been true for years. With the exception of the special break for buying a new car or RV in 2009, you can deduct either state income taxes or sales taxes, not both."

That's not exactly accurate. The state tax is always deductible and the state refund is then claimed as income on the next years taxes. The sales taxes (use tax) is additionally deductible if it exceeds a certain amount. Best to check with a tax accountant for the details. There are some deductions that are only for certain states, i.e. in Arizona all our license plate fees are deductible. Our registration fees for cars and motorhomes runs into the thousands here! I use a CPA for my taxes because I want to be sure that I get all the deductions that I am entitled to. Happy Travels, Joe
To quote the 2009 Federal Form 1040, Schedule A instructions: "You can elect to deduct state and local general sales taxes instead of state and local income taxes. You cannot deduct both."

Seems pretty clear to me.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:09 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlecreek View Post
I guess I opened a can of worms. Neverthless I now have a clear understanding. All I need is documentation from my bank regarding the interest I paid during the year and thats what I need to file.
Thanks everyone for all the good info.
No can of worms. It is actually very simple. Your MH is treated just like your main residence. Deduct the interest paid on a loan. That's it. If you have another "second home", I suppose you would have to choose which one you want to claim as your second home.

Don
Old 10-11-2010, 08:28 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
I already know that both state taxes and sales taxes cannot be deducted. It is one or the other. I misspoke. My CPA handles that. We, here in Arizona, can still deduct the registration fees for all vehicles, including motorhomes...Our MH registration alone cost $2,845. Our sales tax on the purchase was $1,830. OUCH!
Happy travels, Joe