Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2010, 04:22 PM   #1

Motorhome as a 2nd home

I purchased my first 32 ft motorhome this year in April. When I purchased the mh the dealer advised me to treat it as your second home because of the tax breaks etc. Does anyone actually do this and is it legal? If it is what are the steps to take?
He may be egging me on just to close the deal.
What's the deal?
saddlecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2010, 04:36 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The only tax breaks you will get is if you have it financed. In this case you can deduct the interest paid on the loan. Otherwise there are no tax breaks unless you are working out of it. If you check this and other forums you will find quite a bit of information regarding this.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlecreek View Post
I purchased my first 32 ft motorhome this year in April. When I purchased the mh the dealer advised me to treat it as your second home because of the tax breaks etc. Does anyone actually do this and is it legal? If it is what are the steps to take?
He may be egging me on just to close the deal.
What's the deal?
My accountant advised me the interest is tax deductible as a second home unless I already had one. He gave me a copy of the IRS code that establishes certain criteria which was not a problem for me.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:37 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We have deducted the interest on our RV loans for many years. Never had a problem. You must use the 1040 long form and itemize your deductions. If you can meet or exceed the standard deduction, then you can use the interest, etc. Not to become political, but there is talk of doing away with such deductions in the future.

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:03 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Same here. Have deducted the interest on our coach loan... it's entirely legal. I think this puts it on par with the deductions you'd have for a second home with the exception of property taxes... but if your state collects those as a part of your registration fees, you can deduct them too.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:39 PM   #6

Very legal. I deduct my MH and second home. every little bit helps.

Bill
Old 10-03-2010, 06:55 PM   #7
doc

Appalachian Campers
Help me here folks. I paid cash for our last MH, only taxz was sales tax here in Georgia. Is there anyway I could have used the sales tax as a deduction? If there is, I think I messed up big time and failed to use it.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:39 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Help me here folks. I paid cash for our last MH, only tax was sales tax here in Georgia. Is there anyway I could have used the sales tax as a deduction? If there is, I think I messed up big time and failed to use it.
The sales tax is deductible, but certain criteria must be met. The sales tax in Arizona is very high so our CPA deducts what is allowed. Our license fees are deductible on Arizona State taxes only. There are so many tax laws you would have to talk to a tax preparer to get it all legal.
They can file amended forms for whatever deductions you might have missed. Happy travels, Joe
Old 10-03-2010, 07:43 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
We also deduct RV loan interest because it is considered a second home. We have our CPA work out the details. Too complicated for me. Joe
Old 10-03-2010, 08:35 PM   #10

I have been told by my accountant that in the State of Ohio one cannot deduct the motorhome on your taxes or claim it as a second home unless you can prove it is used as a home for a great per cent of the year or it is used in the due course of a business expense.. Interest charges, yes, one can.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:51 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My CPA says the only requirement for income tax deduction is the RV must be fully self contained.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:53 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
MH loan interest is a federal itemized deduction...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzyblueye View Post
I have been told by my accountant that in the State of Ohio one cannot deduct the motorhome on your taxes or claim it as a second home unless you can prove it is used as a home for a great per cent of the year or it is used in the due course of a business expense.. Interest charges, yes, one can.
The MH loan interest is a Federal Itemized Deduction and not an Ohio deduction. Federal deductions apply no matter what state you live in. Our CPA has been deducting the interest on any MH that we have owned for many years. There is no requirement for amount of use during the year. It has nothing to do with Ohio. Might check with a different tax preparer. I believe others will tell you the same thing. Joe

After re-reading your post I note that you might have been talking about some other type of deduction than interest. in Arizona the license plate fee (registration) is deductible on the state form...all vehicle registration fees are deductible on our state forms, not just MH fees. I don't know about Ohio State Revenue Laws. Even though I don't do my own taxes I read every part of the forms that the CPA files. What fees are you talking about?
Old 10-03-2010, 09:10 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wthomas1 View Post
My CPA says the only requirement for income tax deduction is the RV must be fully self contained.
I was told the same thing. Joe
Old 10-03-2010, 09:22 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Good question Joe. Maybe there's confusion regarding exactly what deduction is being talked about here. If that CPA says that interest on a motorhome loan isn't deductable on federal returns... I think a second opinion is in order.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote