Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2011, 10:39 AM   #1

Motorhome choice conundrum

We are seriously considering a motorhome after years with bumper pull trailers. One of the coaches we are considering is a 2011 Tiffin Allegro. It's a nice coach but there are a couple of things that concern us when comparing it with Winnebago's SightSeer or Fleetwood's Southwind. Both the others have dual pane windows, the Allegro does not. And, both the others have the "Power Management System" and the Allegro does not. Should we consider either of those issues as deal breakers? Any words of advice on either side of either of those issues or the coaches in general? Thanks, we're new to the forum but not to RVing.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2011, 10:49 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I don't know if it would be a deal breaker, but if your going to stay in colder climates I would think you would want the double pane windows.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:38 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Jsoguinn,
For me the windows would be a deal breaker. I don't use the coach in the very cold, but double pane windows helps in hot weather too. It also helps keep the interior quiet and the noise outside.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:59 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The double pane windows have one problem that I am aware of. A lot of them start fogging up inside and have to be replaced. Usually when they start fogging up after the warranty has expired. In extremely hot or cold weather we just keep the blinds down to help with the insulation.

Are you sure the Tiffin Allegro does not have a power management system? You can call Tiffin at 1-256-356-0261 to find out for sure. A lot of sales personnel do not know what they are talking about.

Good Luck making your decision,

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:49 PM   #5

No dual pane is a deal breaker

No dual pane windows is absolutely a deal breaker for me. Our last motor home did not have them and the new one does. There is a BIG difference in staying warm in winter and cool in summer. Plus dual pane windows keep a lot more of the noise out.

I am not sure what you don't get without the power management system. If you are talking about auto turn on of generator, I have not bothered to use mine. But I am not sure what you would not get.

I would check to see if dual pane is an option. You want them.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:04 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Dual pane windows are a must in both hot & cold temperatures for insulating (temp or sound) purposes. Yes, they can fail & start fogging up, but the pro of having them outweighs the con IMO.

We really like the Power Management System on our Bounder. When on less than 50A power, there's no need to scratch your head figuring out what you can or can't run at the same time to keep from tripping a breaker. The PMS automatically juggles & sheds loads to keep you within your supplied amperage. We've never popped a breaker, even the time we were on 30A, all our appliances were on electric, both A/C's were going & I put something in the microwave & turned it on. Without missing a beat, the water heater & fridge went to propane & one A/C compressor powered down.

If I remember correctly, friends of ours who got a Tiffin Bus a while back said it didn't have a PMS. Very surprising that high end of a diesel coach wouldn't have one when our lowly gas Bounder did.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:04 AM   #7
paz

Tiffin doesn't provide EMS on any of their coaches, not even on the high-end Zephyr to my knowledge. When we were considering the pruchase of our motorhome, we had the selection narrowed down to Tiffin and Winnebago, and EMS was definitely a plus for the Winnebago. However, in the end, Tiffin won out.

Having had our Tiffin for 6 years now, I can say the lack of EMS has not been that big a deal for us. When we're on 30 amps, we just keep in mind as a rule of thumb we can only run 3 major energy draws at any given time - electric heat for hot water, air conditioner or heat pump, electric space heater, clothes dryer (washer is OK), microwave or convection oven, etc. Without EMS, WE get to choose which one(s) to turn off. If we forget, it means a trip out to the pedestal to reset the breaker. No biggie.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:10 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
No Dual Payne windows would be a deal breaker for me.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:52 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

The entry level Allegro does not come with dual pane windows. However, it has one very thick single pane. It's not subject to the various leaks that occur in dual pane windows but it does not offer the same insulation valuer as a dual pane. My brother-in-law full times in an Allegro 34TGA and they live the coach. However, they are in Texas, not Wisconsin so the cold doesn't get to them like it does up here.

As for the EMS, that only comes in the Allegro Bus and Zephyr - beginning in the 2010 model year.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsoguinn View Post
We are seriously considering a motorhome after years with bumper pull trailers. One of the coaches we are considering is a 2011 Tiffin Allegro. It's a nice coach but there are a couple of things that concern us when comparing it with Winnebago's SightSeer or Fleetwood's Southwind. Both the others have dual pane windows, the Allegro does not. And, both the others have the "Power Management System" and the Allegro does not. Should we consider either of those issues as deal breakers? Any words of advice on either side of either of those issues or the coaches in general? Thanks, we're new to the forum but not to RVing.
The Allegro Bay does come with dual pane windows as an option, at least in 2009 it did, as our 2009 Allegro Bay 37QSB has dual pane windows and we love them. Last summer in the south they helped alot with cooling the coach.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:25 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Unfortunately, the Allegro Bay was discontinued in the 2010 model year. It was a great coach but just didn't sell enough in the prior last two years of it's existence as it's price point moved up.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:14 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
if you live in an area with a number of rv dealers, look around at rigs from those mfgrs-similar model lines that are 5 years old or older to see how they have held up...good indicator on how well they're put together ( or not! )
txdutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:56 PM   #13

Tiffin now has a Energy Management System standard on the Bus and Zephyr.

After 12 years of owning a Bounder with dual-pane windows, I no longer have "dual-pains" as a priority. The fogging issue is just to much of a irritant.
Our Allegro RED does not have them and we do not miss them.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:16 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
I would think that the interior layout of the coach, and it's overall
appearance would be the deal maker. You can work around the
other two issues.

Tags
allegro, power management, windows