Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2014, 08:20 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duoglide1 View Post
I too have crossed the northern border many times and never had a problem but beware of a new development in Canada. If you have been arrested/convicted of DUI/DWI within the last ten years you cannot enter Canada without first making application to do so and paying the fees. Many airlines have had huge problems landing there and a pilot or flight attendant was not allowed to enter the country. YMMV

2005 Inspire 330 Davinci, #51334. C9
Those with a criminal record being denied entry into Canada is nothing new, it has been that way for as long as I remember. In Canada, a DUI is a criminal offense and therefore does not qualify you for entry. You can apply to have some offences waived but it costs to go through the process and it has to be done before you get to the border.

Could you please quote where the information about "Many airlines have had huge problems landing there and a pilot or flight attendant was not allowed to enter the country." This is something I have never heard about before and I believe you may be mistaken. I would expect there have been cases where airline staff are denied entry, if they have a criminal record, but I have never heard of that happening either.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2014, 08:29 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Unfortunately you have to take many of the horror stories you hear with a grain of salt as many are either false, grossly exaggerated or only telling half the story.

I live a short 28 block from the US/Canada border and until recently retiring, I worked for a US company that required frequent travel to the US and other countries. Yes, I have had an unpleasant border crossing but they are very infrequent and never nearly as bad as some like to portray as the norm. The only folks I have seen who have had significant problems are those trying to break or circumvent the rules and laws and those who appear to feel they personally are above the law.

Be personable, honest and unarmed and you'll be through the border very quickly. If you identify this as your first trip into Canada you may experience a few additional questions and scrutiny as they will assume you are unfamiliar with the laws and requirements.

Welcome to Canada, we hope you enjoy your time here.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:32 AM   #17
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnyClark View Post
I spent the last 7 years traveling between Iraq/Afghanistan and the USA and about 5 years ago registered with the Global entry / Trusted traveler with the TSA which also covers border entry with mexico ad canada - basically it fast tracks you through without hassles it you have american express or have a airline membership like United Airlines they reimburse the cost 100.00 for 7 years - well worth the cost
This is absolutely the best way to enter Canada and Mexico by road. We just hold up our Nexus (Trusted Traveler) cards and passports to a chip reader as we approach the checkpoint. By the time we get to the window the agent has all our information and just waves us through.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:44 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_H View Post
Those with a criminal record being denied entry into Canada is nothing new, it has been that way for as long as I remember. In Canada, a DUI is a criminal offense and therefore does not qualify you for entry. You can apply to have some offences waived but it costs to go through the process and it has to be done before you get to the border.

Could you please quote where the information about "Many airlines have had huge problems landing there and a pilot or flight attendant was not allowed to enter the country." This is something I have never heard about before and I believe you may be mistaken. I would expect there have been cases where airline staff are denied entry, if they have a criminal record, but I have never heard of that happening either.

I am the Chairman of the HIMS committee at my airline. This is a federally funded program that has treated and re-certified over 4000 pilots (US) to return to the cockpit after being diagnosed will alcohol and/or some drug related issues. As such I routinely get called when one of our pilots is denied entry. I also help direct them to contact the authorities involved upon their routine to work. Every year in September the FAA, airline management, physicians, and HIMS committees meet in Denver for three days to speak to current issues. This has been a hot topic for the last 3 years. I'll be attending again starting on the 8th. By the way the latest denial for entry at my airline was about 60 days ago in Ottowa.

2005 Inspire 330 Davinci, #51334. C9
Old 08-22-2014, 08:50 AM   #19

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwright View Post
Hi, I have a 40 ft Monaco and we are planning a trip to Montana and then planned to cross the border and head to the Canadian Rockies and Banff. I heard some horror stories about border crossing. I know you can't travel in Canada with guns, so we are leaving them at home. But I was told they bring in dogs and smell for gun powder even if you tell them you have had them previously in the motorhome but not now. This story told how they tore apart the motorhome and pulled everything out from under the bed and took 2 hours after they let them in to Canada to put everything back together. Has anyone experienced this or have any advise?
Well, in the past two years I have 34 ground crossings into Canada and have NOT had an issue. As the previous poster said, look them in the eye, answer ONLY the question asked, be truthful and enjoy your trip.
thrushl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:45 AM   #20

Also a DUI/DWI does not always show up. Our pilot that was denied had been into Canada several times on prior occasion with no problems. His arrest was 3 years old at the time. YMMV.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:34 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Border officials are no different than any other law enforcement people, there are good ones and bad ones. The readers digest version is any "criminality" which would be an indictable offence in Canada (that's a felony charge in the USA) will deem you in-admissible unless prior to your entry you seek a Ministers permit exemption. A conviction for drug traffic/violent assault/murder/manslaughter will mean you never will be admissible. In Canada, our CBSA policy is that if you disagree with the officer you have the right to seek a Superintendents referral. USCBP officers have even more power as they can "ban" you from entering the USA for life, without explanation. Non-Restricted Firearms for hunting/in-transit are permitted in Canada with the right documents.
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:15 PM   #22

Wow with what Duoglide1 quoted, "4000 pilots have been treated for drug and alcohol issues and returned to the cockpit " (is that just one airline if so not something to advertise) .I'm glad I have my motorhome and would rather drive into Canada than fly....I'll take the inspection rather than risk of an air flight anyday.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:01 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Wow with what Duoglide1 quoted, "4000 pilots have been treated for drug and alcohol issues and returned to the cockpit " (is that just one airline if so not something to advertise) .I'm glad I have my motorhome and would rather drive into Canada than fly....I'll take the inspection rather than risk of an air flight anyday.
Not to discount your preference and I prefer to travel in my coach for other reasons, but I was curious the amount of accidents in air travel and looked up some stats. From this it doesn't seem that road travel is safer. While we all try to be good, safe drivers there are still the other guys out on the road that could cause problems for us.

Total number of plane crashes from 1950 to 2010: 1,111
Source: http://www.planecrashinfo.com/cause.htm

Total number of fatal car crashes in 2012: 30,800
Source: http://www.nhtsa.gov/NCSA
Old 08-22-2014, 01:14 PM   #24

Orangepeel, I totally agree with you, and yes I RV because it's the way I enjoy traveling and seeing the US, just two things stats can work anyway you want them to, and when you put your hands in the safety of someone flying a plane I guess you just expect a little more. Not sure you went apples to apples though, most plane crashes kill a few hundred people at a time, so you would have to multiply 1,111 by whatever that number is. I guess the bottom line is we all have to do our best to make any type of travel as safe as possible.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:32 PM   #25

Quote:
Orangepeel, I totally agree with you, and yes I RV because it's the way I enjoy traveling and seeing the US, just two things stats can work anyway you want them to, and when you put your hands in the safety of someone flying a plane I guess you just expect a little more. Not sure you went apples to apples though, most plane crashes kill a few hundred people at a time, so you would have to multiply 1,111 by whatever that number is. I guess the bottom line is we all have to do our best to make any type of travel as safe as possible.
Here are some apples:

In 2012 there were 794 aviation fatalities. Source: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviat...nts#Statistics
In 2012 there were 30,800 car fatalities. Source: http://www.nhtsa.gov/NCSA

My point was that statistically you are less likely to perish in an aircraft than in a road vehicle. And yes I agree, making any type of travel as safe as possible should be the main priority.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:44 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_H View Post
Unfortunately you have to take many of the horror stories you hear with a grain of salt as many are either false, grossly exaggerated or only telling half the story.

I live a short 28 block from the US/Canada border and until recently retiring, I worked for a US company that required frequent travel to the US and other countries. Yes, I have had an unpleasant border crossing but they are very infrequent and never nearly as bad as some like to portray as the norm. The only folks I have seen who have had significant problems are those trying to break or circumvent the rules and laws and those who appear to feel they personally are above the law.

Be personable, honest and unarmed and you'll be through the border very quickly. If you identify this as your first trip into Canada you may experience a few additional questions and scrutiny as they will assume you are unfamiliar with the laws and requirements.

Welcome to Canada, we hope you enjoy your time here.
RonH, good response, and my take from the other side.

I hope if I was your USA borderguard, I didn't give you a bad time. Usually my inspections of RV's in general were more curiosity of how you liked your RV and your traveling experiences.

I came from the generation of inspectors that were trained to inspect the person, not the method of his or her travel. Within the first few seconds of the inspection we would know if we needed any more information other than your country of residence and your citizenship.

Except for a very few cases, most of the RVer's I personally greeted at the border were friendly and compliant with the regulations and laws (at least the one's we cared about) and their border experience lasted less than 30 seconds (other than the wait time to get to the inspector).

My advice to RVer's crossing international borders is to cross at border crossings with the least traffic even if it adds a few miles to your trip. A lot of the border crossings have travel information and webcams on the internet where you can see the border wait times. Timing is everything and a few hours can make a terrific difference in the border traffic backups.
Less wait time at the border reduces stress on you as a traveler, less stress on your rig, and believe me, less stress on your border inspector.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:53 PM   #27

I guess my point is that if I'm driving my rig then at least I have some control of what happens, even when I drive responsibly something could go terribly wrong. That being said when you are in a plane you have no control of what happens and I'd rather my pilot not have a drug issue. As far as the stats 2012 was the safest year since 1945, but 3 different web sites had different numbers. I guess I just come from a background where we fired employees who had any drug abuse issues the first time, the second dui got them fired, and we did all are work on the ground. And having been in charge of fatal collision investigations before, I agree it is still more dangerous driving, but there should be a zero tolerance for at least drugs when it comes to flying for a major airline..just my opinion( and it doesn't even get me a cup of coffee haha).
Old 08-22-2014, 02:00 PM   #28

Quote:
I guess my point is that if I'm driving my rig then at least I have some control of what happens, even when I drive responsibly something could go terribly wrong. That being said when you are in a plane you have no control of what happens and I'd rather my pilot not have a drug issue. As far as the stats 2012 was the safest year since 1945, but 3 different web sites had different numbers. I guess I just come from a background where we fired employees who had any drug abuse issues the first time, the second dui got them fired, and we did all are work on the ground. And having been in charge of fatal collision investigations before, I agree it is still more dangerous driving, but there should be a zero tolerance for at least drugs when it comes to flying for a major airline..just my opinion( and it doesn't even get me a cup of coffee haha).
2013 ended up being the year with the least fatalities. But even if we count the year with the most fatalities (2001 with over 4000 deaths from 9/11) the statistics stay the same, air travel is statistically safer.

I think we are on the same page as far as personal responsibility and safe traveling; we are just presenting our arguments from different perspectives. :-)

Tags
ada, motorhome