Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2014, 07:55 AM   #43

It's a piece of cake. We crossed @ Washington into BC. The officials were very nice!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2014, 09:29 AM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsurette View Post

We travel with three cats and are considering a trip into Canada. We are very careful when going in or out of the MH. We're concerned that if we do get selected for a more thorough inspection, will they be careful as far as our cats are concerned?
I think you have to take the animals with you.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Old 05-25-2015, 06:26 PM   #45

Like Laverne on "Laverne and Shirley" once said, "No one ever fell 30,000 feet from a DeSoto."
Old 05-26-2015, 01:19 PM   #46

We went to Newfoundland with no problems whatsoever. They didn't come in, though they could have and might have found fruit or something like that. We told them we had alcohol - we went right through but never had guns.

Georgetown 328TS Class A 2010 Toyota Corolla
joannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:30 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I've been across the border 4 times with two trips to Alaska and back.

Look the border agent directly in the eyes and maintain eye contact throughout the entire questioning. Be truthful and honest. Remove your sun glasses if you have them on.

ONLY answer the questions asked and nothing more.

Only once I had to pull over at the crossing on the I-15 going into Canada where they had me line up with the commercial trucks to X-Ray scan my coach and trailer.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
This is excellent advice and should be followed to the letter.

We've had similar experiences going to Alaska a couple times and up the Atlantic coast a couple times. Only once did we have anyone enter the coach and that was when we reentered the US on our last trip. Even then the guards were friendly and respectful. They did a cursory "search" for contraband items and sent us on our way. The whole experience lasted less than 10 minutes and there was nothing damaged.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:38 PM   #48

Ford Super Duty Owner
does motorhome have to be in your name ?

as title says our motorhome is in a friends name as we dont live in us
so could we go to canada ? yes or no
Old 05-26-2015, 08:41 PM   #49

Usually a breeze but often there will be long lines. I have little respect for the border guard's as they collectively make the lines long selfishly to protect their jobs. Sorry had to sneak my rant in.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:41 PM   #50

We have crossed the border too many times to recall and never had an issue with the Canadians or the Americans. I have crossed the border many times with my sailboat and had it tossed more times than I can recall. I think the issue is Im not a drinker and dont carry alchohol. Seems to be when I tell them there isnt any they get their hackles up.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:49 PM   #51

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattlePirat View Post
I think the issue is Im not a drinker and dont carry alchohol. Seems to be when I tell them there isnt any they get their hackles up.
Kind of like having Texas plates and saying you don't own guns from what I've been told.
We haven't been across the border since at least 1997 since we had our 1988 Type B MH at the time.
Pretty territory but I haven't seen all the US yet.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:13 PM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom View Post
as title says our motorhome is in a friends name as we dont live in us
so could we go to canada ? yes or no
I would suggest you contact the Canada Customs and Border Patrol for the best answer.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:00 PM   #53

Our experience this year (June). Crossed at Calais/St. Stephen. The wife and I are 54, teachers, pulling a TT. Followed the recommended behaviors and courtesies. We were asked, rather forcefully, 3 times if we had any firearms and the consequences explained in no uncertain terms. We were directed to secondary and 3 officers removed EVERYTHING from our vehicle, searched every box, bag, compartment and crevice of our TV as well as the interior of the TT. I believe this was due to my CCW, which in FL requires a FBI background check.
We had no weapons. I choose to visit your country, I'll honor your laws.
Also received a lecture that Canada has no "Right to Defend" laws. Apparently, if attacked one should be proper about it and allow yourself to be killed.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:06 PM   #54

Hey, could be worst, in some countries if you defend yourself during a B&E, the burglars might sue you! ( http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ired-back.html) Hope you enjoyed the visit in the great white North.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:50 PM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Living in Wa and TX, I cross the borders quite often. Been inspected a few time, they are just doing their job and I am happy they are. I have pulled boats, MGs and RV across Canada and Mexico. I grew up in Chula vista CA and crossed into Baha many times. My Kids with me. I now live and spend the summers 60 miles from Canada. My Son is married to a Canadian and has the work permits for Canada. I spend the winter, less than 7 miles from Mexico. And cross there with no problem. I consider it a great honor and privilege to be able to visit the neighboring countries with so little or no effort. We have the enhanced driver's licence from WA and don't even have to carry our passports.
rgvtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:24 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnlorrie View Post
Our experience this year (June). Crossed at Calais/St. Stephen. The wife and I are 54, teachers, pulling a TT. Followed the recommended behaviors and courtesies. We were asked, rather forcefully, 3 times if we had any firearms and the consequences explained in no uncertain terms. We were directed to secondary and 3 officers removed EVERYTHING from our vehicle, searched every box, bag, compartment and crevice of our TV as well as the interior of the TT. I believe this was due to my CCW, which in FL requires a FBI background check.
We had no weapons. I choose to visit your country, I'll honor your laws.
Also received a lecture that Canada has no "Right to Defend" laws. Apparently, if attacked one should be proper about it and allow yourself to be killed.
I,ve been in Canada all my life,i would like to know were you have to stand there and be killed,Everyone has the right to defend themselves,we have stricked gun laws

Tags
ada, motorhome