Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2014, 09:19 AM   #1

Motorhome dashboard fan stays on with switch off

Hello Everyone,
I joined irv2 today, looking forward to the discussions and good company.

I had been planning to join for months but I was prompted to get on the move today because of a problem I am having. (All things happen for a reason)

I have a Fleetwood Terra on a Ford F-53 chassic. This weekend I noticed that when I turned the engine off the dash fan would stay on. I even took the key out, it didn't matter, it stayed on.

I cranked the engine and turned it off several times and it finally went off like it should.

It's done it several times since and if I cranked the engine and turn it off enough it will finally go off.

Does anybody have an idea what could be going on. Could it be the ignition switch, a fan relay maybe, or a resistor somewhere? Has anyone had this issue before?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2014, 01:11 PM   #2

I will ask a probing/troubleshooting question.... can you increase the fan speed or decrease the fan speed when this ignition off phenomenon is occurring, using the fan speed selector switch? This will tell us if it is that circuit that is being shorted...

Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:21 PM   #3

Yes, you can turn high to low and the fan responds.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:24 AM   #4

Dashboard area issue.... as we guess our way into where to begin troubleshooting. I use my trashy 12v power tester...to start at the fuse box and hunt backwards from a power block. Since we can be reasonably sure that power is at the fuse box during the issue (or fan could not run) that is where I begin. Look to see if someone prior to yourself has wired into or around the fan circuits.... My used Bounders both have had wonderful surprises as I got into resolving electrical problems.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:21 AM   #5

OK, will do. Not looking forward to this but someones got to do it. I don't get around under a dash like I used too.
Thanks
Old 10-01-2014, 10:37 AM   #6
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard. That is a perplexing problem. Best of luck on a solution. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 03:02 PM   #7

I would check the fan switch, but I think you need a new ignition switch.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:05 PM   #8

I might agree with CWIT but lets let the proof be the electrical test tool evidence.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:21 PM   #9

First off, welcome to the forum. If it was your ignition switch other lights or devices would stay on also. On mine, every once in awhile, my stereo light stays on so I have to jiggle the key to get it to shut off. I assume you have an on/off switch or, like mine, a rocker switch. It sounds like the on/off switch might need to be replaced. If you can get to the back of the switch and connect a multi-meter to it you can check for continuity when you move the switch to the different positions. If you still show continuity in the off position you might have a bad switch. Those switches can wear out, get dirty, break contacts inside.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:01 AM   #10

Thanks eveyone for the welcome. I can tell I am in good company.

I Buddy of mine at the Ford dealership checked it out and after calls Ford Tech Center and Fleetwood it was determined to be a Body Builder circuit. So, I've got to make one more stop. I'm getting there.

Thanks Again

Tags
dash, fan, motorhome