Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2014, 03:07 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Motorhome Fire

I drove past this on Friday morning, I-70 Eastbound just East of I-435 in Kansas City, KS, I could see the black smoke from 8 miles away. According to the media no injuries which is wonderful. It appears from the pictures and seeing it live it started in the rear? I personally know how devastating it is to watch your motorhome go up in flames. I wish them luck in recovering from this experience.

RV fire snarls traffic on EB I-70 near 78th Street | Local News - KMBC Home
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	61729  

jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2014, 11:01 PM   #2

I experienced this recently and discovered a weakness in the safety of some dual ac systems. My system has dual ac units, controlled by and Intellitec controller. The Intellitec unit is fused, and the two ac units are on a breaker, but I had a short on one of the control boards inside of the rooftop air conditioner and it shorted the wires between the rooftop unit and the Intellitec controller and started a fire that dripped wire insulation down on the mattress, catching it on fire as well. I'm still making the repairs now, but while doing so, I'm adding fuses in between the main control unit and rooftop unit control board. That way, if there's a short in the future, the fuses will blow, killing power and saving me a lot of work and money. I was lucky. I saw the smoke and caught the fire before it got out of hand and fortunately discovered a weakness in design that could have endangered my family.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:05 PM   #3

My greatest fear is one of our RVs catching fire and losing our four cats. All our material stuff can be replaced - but they're like our children.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:01 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Sounds like there have been three [reported] MH fires already this year. All starting in the rear, not the usual mid-coach place we all love to talk about. At least 2 of these were DP. What are the most common causes of a rear-end DP fire? \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainK-S View Post
I experienced this recently and discovered a weakness in the safety of some dual ac systems. My system has dual ac units, controlled by and Intellitec controller. The Intellitec unit is fused, and the two ac units are on a breaker, but I had a short on one of the control boards inside of the rooftop air conditioner and it shorted the wires between the rooftop unit and the Intellitec controller and started a fire that dripped wire insulation down on the mattress, catching it on fire as well. I'm still making the repairs now, but while doing so, I'm adding fuses in between the main control unit and rooftop unit control board. That way, if there's a short in the future, the fuses will blow, killing power and saving me a lot of work and money. I was lucky. I saw the smoke and caught the fire before it got out of hand and fortunately discovered a weakness in design that could have endangered my family.
thanks for sharing this with us. what make/model/year is yours? isn't a breaker for a/cs which will act in that situation?
Old 04-30-2014, 10:33 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
Sounds like there have been three [reported] MH fires already this year. All starting in the rear, not the usual mid-coach place we all love to talk about. At least 2 of these were DP. What are the most common causes of a rear-end DP fire? \ken
Fuel Leak

rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome