Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2006, 02:33 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have some fairly pushy in-laws who live about 3 hrs. away. They're OK but after about 24 hours at their place, I'm really ready to leave.

Since we got the motorhome, we've always taken it when we visit them. We stay at an RV park about 15 miles from their home. They always whine and say, why don't you save your fuel money and stay with us? Why do you want to bring that 'big thing' such a short distance. I tell them as nicely as I can, 'It's a motorhome thing. If you have to ask you wouldn't understand.' Frankly, I'd think they would appreciate not having to wash extra towels, sheets, etc.

My personal view is unless it is some emergency or work-related travel that requires that I fly , if I can't take my motorhome, I don't go there. Am I alone in this feeling? My DW thinks we should stay with them occasionally to appease them (it's her sister).

We're going to the in-laws next weekend to help a nephew (great guy..love to visit him) start building a garage. He is letting me park the rig in his driveway...has no problem with it.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2006, 02:33 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
I have some fairly pushy in-laws who live about 3 hrs. away. They're OK but after about 24 hours at their place, I'm really ready to leave.

Since we got the motorhome, we've always taken it when we visit them. We stay at an RV park about 15 miles from their home. They always whine and say, why don't you save your fuel money and stay with us? Why do you want to bring that 'big thing' such a short distance. I tell them as nicely as I can, 'It's a motorhome thing. If you have to ask you wouldn't understand.' Frankly, I'd think they would appreciate not having to wash extra towels, sheets, etc.

My personal view is unless it is some emergency or work-related travel that requires that I fly , if I can't take my motorhome, I don't go there. Am I alone in this feeling? My DW thinks we should stay with them occasionally to appease them (it's her sister).

We're going to the in-laws next weekend to help a nephew (great guy..love to visit him) start building a garage. He is letting me park the rig in his driveway...has no problem with it.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:10 PM   #3

Appalachian Campers
If we can't have our MH with us, we don't go!
sense we started traveling in our rig, we have made it clear to all that this is where we stay, we like our own place. Everyone who is able, lets us park in the drive, if not we find a convienent cg. They have all learned not to expect or hope for any other arrangement.
Let your folks know that once you get used to traveling with your home, it's the only way to go.

Tow 2001 PT Cruiser
Colette and Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 03:44 PM   #4

The same with us, we had used our RV's for years when visiting my brother in Tenn. and I believe they don't expect anything else.

We stay at a COE CG called Cages Bend, great place.

Ron

GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 05:13 PM   #5

We just explain it this way... "We prefer our own bed, Fridge, etc. at the end of the day." If they don't understand then it's on them.

Skip
If interested, come visit us in the iRV2 Chatters chat room. We're there just about every evening from about 8:30pm eastern until about 10:00pm. It's a great bunch of folks!

Skip- Kerrville, TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 04:35 AM   #6
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree with Skip Ferguson.
I can't think of anyone, I've known over the years, who dosen't enjoy getting back to thier home and bed after traveling. We have the ability of taking it with us.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 04:48 AM   #7

I too agree with you, and the others. When we visit relatives or friends we take the RV. Those who have had an RV understand.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:27 AM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

Gary, I agree with Skip Ferguson as well....

I also agree with your "it's a motor home thing" explanation...

Since it is Julia's sister, you might just offer a brief explanation IRT having the comfort of sleeping in your own bed and such....

Post 9/11 I've flown twice if that'll help you....taken the coach every other time.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 07:21 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Bob:

Julia has made the same point, especially with our new memory foam mattress. Also, Bear likes his mobile 'house.'

As far as the in-laws, I don't plan to say much other than, 'if you have to ask, you wouldn't understand.' In fact, I think that would make a good bumper sticker for MH owners.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:28 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm with most of the others on this --- I remember what my dear grandmother used to say:

"Fish and company get old in three days"

With our motor home, we, for example, visit our eldest son and his family and stay for a week or two in a park about 10 minutes away--- don't necessarily see them every day, and sometimes they come visit us. We enjoy things more with our own bed, kitchen, bath, etc., and they get to keep their routine . . . win/win!
Old 07-04-2006, 03:03 PM   #11

We prefer to take the motorhome also. Our relatives that live out of the area have a very busy lifestyle and we have a freedom to come and go as we please.
big jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 07:18 PM   #12

We do as much as we can. right now my wifes Aunt from California is staying in it with her kids. House guests are like fish they stink after a few days. The MH keeps the smell down
Old 07-05-2006, 07:13 AM   #13

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Bob,
I would say it's an rver thing not "it's a motor home thing" .
Old 07-05-2006, 07:26 AM   #14
Administrator Emeritus

You're absolutely right Lynn....I had "tailored" my comments toward Gary's owning a MH, but it is truly an RV thing...

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote