Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2007, 03:08 PM   #1

We are looking a different motorhome that would be more suitable for full timing than our current C+. Any suggestions? Looking at 28-30' class A.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2007, 03:08 PM   #2

We are looking a different motorhome that would be more suitable for full timing than our current C+. Any suggestions? Looking at 28-30' class A.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:26 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can't recommend a brand or model for you but I will encourage you to get at least a 33' or larger motorhome. We have a 33' and while we don't yet full time, I wouldn't want to full time in anything any smaller. Another thing I would be looking at is water capacity. The more the better for both fresh and waste. Also any builtins that serve more than one function would be a plus. Such as a counter that can be used as a desk, eating table, computer station, cooking area, etc, would be a plus. You get the idea. I'm sure there are some full timers out there that can give you some good advice.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:55 PM   #4

Hello,

Size is something that only you can decide is it enough. I know a single guy that fulltimes in a 22' class C. We could not.

When you look at fulltime rigs, figure you will need 1200-1500lbs per person of true net carrying capacity. That is after water, fuel, batteries, propane is loaded. No short Class A will give you this. Also look at water capacity, both fresh and waste.

You might want to spend some time on the Escapees RV Club site. It is a club for fulltimmers and there is a lot of info there.

Escapees RV Club

Jim
Old 07-09-2007, 10:39 AM   #5
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by skp_member:
Hello,

Size is something that only you can decide is it enough. I know a single guy that fulltimes in a 22' class C. We could not.

When you look at fulltime rigs, figure you will need 1200-1500lbs per person of true net carrying capacity. That is after water, fuel, batteries, propane is loaded. No short Class A will give you this. Also look at water capacity, both fresh and waste.

Escapees RV Club

Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1200-1500 lbs per person? That strikes me as excessive.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 01:32 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The need for carrying capacity is subjective too, but fulltimers typically carry a lot more stuff than vacationers. That said, most experts say a minimum of 2000 lbs total (not per person).

The difficulty for a new fulltimer is that they dont know what they will want to carry or how much additional space they will need to prevent insanity. It's far better - and less expensive in the long run - to have too much rather than too little. Swapping rigs because you need a bit more is extremely expensive.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:02 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by adj:

1200-1500 lbs per person? That strikes me as excessive. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We (two) have 2800 pounds of CCC and would like to have 3500 pounds.
It's amazing how much stuff weighs and how much stuff you find you want to have when you full time.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:28 PM   #8
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I guess I run a conservative load. When we initially weighed our current full-time coach, we were surprised to find our weight was 150# over the GVWR. I took care of that by draining the fresh water tank, which was full upon receipt.

My curiosity about our self-induced weight load led me to weigh everything we had put onboard. Clothes, pots & pans, electronics, tool boxes, etc., inside and out came to a grand total of 1576#.

This is the reason I thought 1200-1500# per person was excessive.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:11 AM   #9

Bigger is not necessarily better. Our full time rig is a 32' DP. Our CCC is over #5000 due to the diesel chassis. We purposely stayed around 30' to allow entry into a lot of the older national and state campgrounds. We prefer not to travel from full hook up to full hook up campgrounds. One full timer we bumped into would not consider stopping anyplace that he couldn't plug in the on board washer and dryer. That is not our priorities. We can carry 110 gal of fresh water and 90 gal of fuel. I have maximized the storage space by building racks and trays in the storage bins, and modified the closet space by adding shelves.

Basically decide what is going to work for YOU within your budget. What ever you decide, this is a great site to gather information on.

Good Luck, Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:53 PM   #10

Hello Every one,

The 1200-1500 lbs each is what we find is an average, talking to our fulltimming friends.

Some are on the light end and others are at the heavy end.

But, I would rather have the capacity and not need it.

Jim
Old 07-11-2007, 06:40 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
We fulltime in a 25 footer. The best thing about that is that we have the 14500 gvwr and with the smaller shorter coach, My DW can't over load it!!! We are squeaking past the limit almost with the toad!! If it was the same chassis and say 27-29 foot, We would be in so much trouble!!
I know, Method to my madness!!

Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote