Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2012, 05:07 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Motorhome Garage

I am planning on building a garage to store my motorhome when not in use. Just wondering if anyone would like to share some tips or pictures of your garage. Right now my plan is to build a 30X50 garage to store my 43 ft Winnebago Tour and my 22ft enclosed trailer. Right now my motorhome and trailer are stored outside. The winters in Massachusetts can be hard on vehicles. I would like to get them inside. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Tpflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2012, 05:15 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
here ya go
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/pictu...es-105447.html
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks

I am looking to build a typical wood structure garage. Just looking for some ideas.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:51 PM   #4

My suggestion is that you room to expand the slides and still walk around the coach. Handy when you are moving a ladder to wax and do repairs over the winter. Insulate the sides, rood and roll up door. Roll up minimum of 14 ft. Lights, exhaust vent in case you need to run the generator. Minimum 30 amp Service. Concrete floor. We built all steel and was cheaper than stick built and no maintenance. Money well spent! Good luck with yours.
CHCam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:45 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 46x62 Morton which has 14-foot barn sliders on each end. You want to have 50 amps so you can run your AC (as a test before that big trip to FL!). Also see if you can hook up to the sewer or septic so you have a dump station.

This will be my first winter storing my Tour inside.

And don't forget that the view is as important as what's inside!

RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:56 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Clark thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't thought about the generator exhaust the Aqua hot exhaust. Good suggestion. I was thinking 12X14 door and a 16' ceiling in case I need to jack it up to remove a wheel. 30 amp service should be enough to run everything except air-conditioning. I plan on installing natural gas heat too.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:38 AM   #7

I would increase height of door in case you ever change rig to a tsller one. Also if you use scissor trusses you will gain more height inside. I put 50 amp hookups both inside and outside on mine plus ran sn underground wire to a 50 amp hookup on a post in driveway.
bill2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpflyer View Post
The winters in Massachusetts can be hard on vehicles. I would like to get them inside. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Yeah move to Florida....
Old 10-21-2012, 06:37 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
Building a structure with a nominal size increment of 8' may get you more/less space for less cost. ie 32' X 56'. Consider MH weight wrt floor design/thickness/sub soil. Recommend going with the biggest size you think you may want in the future (not present).

If money were no object;
Long straight approach and exit.
Remote overhead doors.
In floor heat.
14' wide doors.
Water, Sewer, 50amp, wireless network, dish feed, compressed air.
Room to stand on the roof.
Stand up pit in the floor to service the chassis/engine.
Security sustem.

Back up from there to suit your dreams.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:04 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
All good suggestions. I plan to build behind a two car detached garage I have in my back yard. That garage has 100 amp service, compressed air and phone service. I have an artesian well near the garage to supply water to my in ground sprinkler system. Currently it is unheated but it is insulated. Here is a picture on my property. You can see the garage in the back and the motorhome in the driveway. Since we don't have sewer here I would need to add another septic system to accommodate a bathroom or indoor plumbing. Not sure if it is absolutely necessary although it would be great to have a dumping station at home. Right now I have 50 amp service at my driveway and water hookup. I am just aggravated that my sprinkler system hits the motorhome when the wind blows and i end up with water spots on it due to the water hardness. That and the weather is driving me to build a garage to put it in. Next year when I am retired we will probably spend most winters in the south but with family getting older i can see the need to be up north in the winter from time to time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-993779130.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	674.7 KB
ID:	28014
Old 10-21-2012, 08:41 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Mine is 18 x 45 with 13' doors. I wish I would have made it bigger but at the time I didn't know I would be needing it. It works but the 13' door is a problem, needs a 14'. I would make sure it has 50amp service. RV garages are very common in this town, but for the opposite reason, the summers are brutal on anything not steel or ceramic.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:10 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I agree on 14' door. Looks like many or most motorhomes are now 13'9" or something similar which is about the same as the actual opening on a 13' door which makes the 13' door too short for many of the new motorhomes.
slapfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #13

I built mine in 1986, 24 x 48 with 12' ceiling. It was plenty big in 1986, but it seems to have shrunk, particularly the height. Everybody I talked to at the time said that I couldn't build it too big. Well, they were right. One thing I did to save money was build a 4' concrete block foundation and then an 8' building on top of that.
There are some good ideas in this thread, and I can only add that if you have a vague motion that you might need something (exhaust, sewer), at least make providion for it now, it will be much more expensive later.
One big mistake I made was to put it as close as possible to the lot line (5') on one side, eliminating any expansion on that side. Live and learn, as they say.
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #14

I agree with the 14' door. Mine is 12 now I'm limited to what RV I will get next. I don't want one that wont fit inside.
The other thing is go big in overall size
Theres no such thing as too big
I have 40x60 and its too small now

Name:	ForumRunner_20121029_203141.png
Views:	507
Size:	492.3 KB
ID:	28502

Name:	ForumRunner_20121029_203203.png
Views:	783
Size:	316.7 KB