Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2009, 01:32 AM   #1

Motorhome Handling & Redlands Truck and RV Service

We have a 2000 Beaver Monticello with two slides. A well appointed coach and our first. I had always had 5th wheels and never a coach. Driving the Beaver was always stressful with moderate winds, passing trucks and road irregularities making for white knuckles and adrenaline pumping moments. The coach would swerve towards the other lane or towards the edge of the road totally ignoring my corrections in the opposite direction. I went to a place in Albuquerque and had Koni's put on with some relief but still dangerous in my estimation. I'd sit for 15 minutes after a days drive and just stare at the wall and I definitely did not want to drive the beast.
Having never driven another coach it was with immense surprise and delight that I drove a new 08 Monaco Diplomat. A very steady, predictable coach that felt sure footed. Why does my coach not handle like this?!
I had four courses of action, keep and fix the coach, sell the coach and buy another, go back to fifth wheels or just stop RVing. Not being a wealthy man a new anything was out of the question and quitting is not what I am about with this lifestyle.
I decided to fix the Beaver if possible, made sense economically I discovered Redlands by word of mouth,( MM), and an appointment was made.
We arrived Sunday night and plugged in outside Redlands. They have water and 50 amp service available to their clientele. They took us in promptly in the AM and put the Beaver on their drive-up lift. We were directed to a great place for breakfast, and it was not disappointing. Upon returning I was told to get on a creeper and I was scooted under the rig and numerous explanations were offered as to what was needed. Costs were also explained. I approved them and work began, most of which was done in one day.
The Beaver was weighed, aligned and air pressures were determined. The steering wheel was trued and the chain on the slide-out was adjusted pro bono. Motion Control Air Valves were also installed on four of the eight airbags. A seal on the rear passenger tire was found to be leaking and replaced.
We did do a test drive at the end of the second day, managed to run over a curb in the process, but otherwise it went well. I did not want to say anything until I had more miles but we now have over 800 miles and I figure I can speak with an unbiased voice about the results.
First my 10 year old Beaver is not a new coach therefore does not have the new seals and components that a new rig has so one has to place their expectations there. The Beaver is very close to the handling of the new coach. Drivability has gone from 50% to 99% in my estimation.
Passing trucks, wind and truck ruts no longer pose a problem, that simple. Steering response is excellent. Road speeds have increased by 10 mph reflecting the new found confidence I have in it.
Finally I can only recommend these folks for this type of service work. Professional, competent and geared to make it work. If you have something akin to my problems I can only recommend them, (A+),op. here is their website: Redlands Truck & RV Performance Center
Phil

motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2009, 02:41 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another Redlands RV & Truck happy ending. Thats where I take my coach for the heavy work. Next time your through town PM me and I will take you to the best breakfast in town. Happy trails. Jim

Old 12-04-2009, 09:34 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Phil...it's great that you got the handling bugs worked out of your Beaver. That's just too nice of a coach to not want to drive it.

I smiled the whole time I was reading your post. You could search my posts of two years ago and find one virtually identical on the coach was my new Itasca 40FD and the shop was Henderson's Line Up in Grants Pass, Or.

They began the process with their "Road Test Assessment" where there tech goes for about a 10 mile trip with you while he drives the coach and you explain to him what you think some of the handling problems are.

I ended up getting Motion Control Units, new Bellcrank, and the Safe-T-Steer. I couldn't be happier... not only with the handling of my coach now but more importantly because I now know that coaches don't have to handle like battleships!

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:30 PM   #4

It is amazing. We have the Howard Power for Steering and I used to use it as my "lifeline". I have not used it since we visited Redlands! That is amazing considering where we were and where we are at!
Phil
Old 12-05-2009, 12:58 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Moto...I could not in good conscious let you think about having the work done where you had talked about...so I was very glad that you did take my advise and you made the trip west to Redlands.

Everyone I have talked to has been very pleased with the services Redlands has performed and I have seen their work...so I knew I was safe with my recommendation! (the same can also be said for Brazel's in WA...I would have sent you to them if you had been on Oregon!)

It is nice to know that we have quality sponsors here on iRV2 who do quality work!
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:02 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have read many stories posted by folks who have gone to either Redlands or Brazel's.

So far.. I think it's unamanous.. They are good places to go if you need improvements.

I plan on having one of them do a bit of work on my rig some day. If, that is, I ever have a spare kilobuck to spend.. Which is not looking good just now.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:18 AM   #7

I will probably go back to get the motor chipped and do some performance upgrades when the budget allows it.
Phil
Old 12-08-2009, 11:03 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was not having any handling or performance issues with my coach but after reading countless testimonials I decided to see if I could "tweak" some improvements. I took it to Brazel's the end of October and had four Koni's, Safe-T-Steer and new bell crank put on. As for performance I went with an AFE air filter and Aero Turbine muffler. I am reserving judgment on the performance side until I can give it another couple of tanks of fuel evaluation. The thing I did notice right away besides the change in sound was the marked improvements in ride and handling. Drove home last weekend in a pretty good wind storm and had a smile on my face the whole way. The expense was definately justified! I would definately recomend them but the best recomendation I can give is that I will go back if I decide to have the "chip" re-done.