Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2016, 10:36 AM   #15
Commercial Member

this is one of those problems that is like the room on or out while leveling. lots of right answers. i wouldnt worry about it. if you do, check the pedestal for correct wiring before plugging in
if thats good. let it go. let it go let it go
if you cant, use the plastic pads.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2016, 10:45 AM   #16

Been rv'ing since 1972, and never had it happen to me or anyone I know.
I'll file this away in a folder next to "what to do if my rv gets hit by a meteor or falling space debris while driving thru a tunnel".
Grumpy

Old 01-28-2016, 11:18 AM   #17

Did anybody read the comments to the article. Seem he got some of it wrong.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:29 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
Been rv'ing since 1972, and never had it happen to me or anyone I know.
I'll file this away in a folder next to "what to do if my rv gets hit by a meteor or falling space debris while driving thru a tunnel".
Grumpy
Being an electrician since 1972 I have run into this problem a few times. Mostly a grounding issue that failed to trip breakers. Some in the RV, some in the pedestal or camp ground electrical feed. Mixing 12vdc in the same areas as 120 vac can be a hoot sometimes.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:42 PM   #19

Generator use does not need the rv to be grounded and hot skin may not be concern same as shore.

The energy path is back to source and source is floating in the rv.

Would believe it would be similar to birds on a power line.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:50 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Put rubber shoes on your jack pads. I bought a pair of these but for another reason but I would think they would make a good insulator since they are made of rubber. Automatic RV Leveling Jack Pads - RV SnapPad
Old 01-28-2016, 02:59 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Being a true Gentleman I always allow the wife to go first.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:03 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Generator use does not need the rv to be grounded and hot skin may not be concern same as shore.

The energy path is back to source and source is floating in the rv.

Would believe it would be similar to birds on a power line.
Grounding Requirements for Portable and Vehicle-mounted Generators Under the following conditions, OSHA directs (29 CFR 1926.404(f)(3)(i)) that the frame of a portable generator need not be grounded (connected to earth) and that the frame may serve as the ground (in place of the earth):

Grounding requirements for generators connected via transfer switches are covered by Article 250 of the National Electrical Code (NEC).

Bonding Versus Grounding Bonding and grounding are separate requirements for generators and other electrical distribution systems. Grounding means the connection, or the establishment of a connection, of an electric circuit or equipment to reference ground, which includes the generatorís frame. Bonding is the intentional connection between the grounded circuit conductor (neutral) and the grounding means for the generator, which includes the generatorís frame. Thus, effective bonding of the neutral conductor to the generatorís frame is also a concern for the safe use of the equipment. As with grounding terminal connections, proper bonding of the neutral terminal of a power receptacle may be confirmed via testing by a competent electrician with the correct equipment, and the ohmic resistance should measure near zero and must not be intermittent, which indicates a loose connection.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:18 PM   #23

Interesting post. In the days of repairing
Mainframes and UPS a test we used to do
Was inject a large voltage on the chassis of
The Mainframe or UPS..if they were GROUNDED properly , the Mainframe or UPS would still function after the test.
I think it was the HI-POT test..or something.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:26 PM   #24

Reading this is a hoot in a bad way.

Anyone giving a seminar will be putting out information to support whatever he is selling. Not necessarily lying but shading the truth as needed. That is assuming they are technically qualified as opposed to marketing professionals.

Lightening has a high enough voltage that an inch of plastic, more specifically wet plastic, will not be enough to stop it. Look at the insulators on the high tension lines if you want a clue. That puts wet plastic and wet wood close to even in the insulator category.

Neutral conductors do not go through a fuse or circuit breaker. The hot side is the side with the protection. That is to make sure there is always a good path to ground.

In an RV the neutral and ground are separated until they bond at the power pole where they plug into the AC distribution system. If there is a hot skin condition the problem is a missing connection between the skin/frame and safety ground.

A properly installed generator in a MH has a bonding connection between the safety ground and neutral in the line between the generator neutral and the transfer switch. That returns any loop current in the safety ground to the generator independent of the earth. That allows proper operation when moving. ;-)
Old 01-28-2016, 05:15 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
If the RV has "hot skin", then conductivity between the jacks and the ground is a good thing. Isolating the RV from earth ground just makes your body the conductor for any stray electricity when you step from RV to the outside earth.
Exactly. Some people are over cautious - arguably sensibly so - and drive in an earth stake connected to the chassis to provide some slight alternate path in case of failure of the earthing conductor.

Get hit by lightning and a bit of plastic under the jacks isn't going to help much. Big earthmoving equipment sitting on huge rubber tyres hit by lightning has had tyres explode some minutes after the strike because of the tyres being overpressurised by combustion inside the tyre. Google "tires exploding after lightning strike" and do some reading and then come back and explain the plastic sheet idea again.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:22 PM   #26

Middle east unrest
China bullies
Unchecked illegal invasion of the US
Our bankrupted country
Global warming,

This ALL takes a back seat now..............

Hot skin is in.

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 06:03 PM   #27

Your looking at this wrong. If the skin was hot insulating the RV would be more dangerous. Allowing the legs to conduct is safer if you have hot skin ( provides the ground the pedestal may not). If they are insulated you become the path of least resistance if the ground fails and you get shocked. The article talks about a small bleed voltage scenerio from the ground to the rv and insulating it would stop it but it is not what will shock you or what killed the boy. If you are worried about this death scenario happening to you using plastic pads under the jacks is the worst thing you can do.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:18 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRex45 View Post
Middle east unrest
China bullies
Unchecked illegal invasion of the US
Our bankrupted country
Global warming,

This ALL takes a back seat now..............

Hot skin is in.

It's all a secret plot by a well known republician businessman to sell rubber soled flip flops made by one of his made in his "Made In America Based in China" shoe corp. All just to protect us from getting shocked when we step out of our $200,000.00 motor home.
Grumpy

Tags
motorhome