Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2016, 06:31 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Here is my take on this thread.

Purchase a Progressive Industries EMS unit either 30 or 50 amp which checks for proper ground conditions in addition to the many other important electrical conditions when you plug into the RV shore power AND it continues to monitor it while plugged into shore power. If the ground wire were to have a problem it will disconnect the bad power from your RV preventing you from having ANY Hot Skin in the first place.

Next Mike Sokol is the RV expert when it comes to RV electrical stuff. In fact he left a comment below the article stating that parts of the article are in fact false.

If you want to know more about the real truth regarding Hot Skin RV's, view these two YouTube video's. One from RV Travel talking to Mike Sokol about the little boy that was killed and another made by Mike Sokol to correctly educate people about Hot Skin RV's.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2016, 07:05 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Had an issue once where I was plugged into a temporary power post at an event. Everything was fine and I do have a built in surge guard with ground fault protection. Everything seemed to be working properly until my wife was outside and barefoot. Every time she would touch a cabinet door she would get a little "buzz". Just a little tingle of electricity. I touched the door and couldn't feel it and told her she was nuts until later I was outside without shoes and sure enough felt the buzz. Im sure it had to do with the temporary power posts the campground had put up but it never showed on my management system. Still not sure what was wrong and it has never happened again any where else we have went.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:39 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post

I do have a built in surge guard with ground fault protection.

Everything seemed to be working properly until my wife was outside and barefoot. Every time she would touch a cabinet door she would get a little "buzz". Just a little tingle of electricity. I touched the door and couldn't feel it and told her she was nuts until later I was outside without shoes and sure enough felt the buzz. I'm sure it had to do with the temporary power posts the campground had put up but it never showed on my management system. Still not sure what was wrong and it has never happened again any where else we have went.
What brand and model of Surge Guard & Ground Fault Protection do you have in your coach?

Is it truly a "management system"?

My guess is that it was NOT a Progressive Industries EMS system. If it had been a PI system it would have severed the power when it detected any power condition that is not safe. Therefore you would have NOT felt any of those tingles in your Hot Skin.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 01-29-2016, 05:59 AM   #32

I wonder if stray currents from nearby RVs with bad wiring could produce a shock, in wet grass.

I know in the boating world stray currents are a big problem.

I think that would make a case for jacks right on the ground.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:56 AM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It is progressive industries. brand name "surge guard". And has a PI ems. Came standard on coach, well actually a factory option from fleetwood. Even the transfer swicth is built by them. I think its actually built in to the transfer switch as the remote for the ems comes off of a plug on the transfer switch which says surge guard on it.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:25 AM   #34
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Good information, but neither video above addresses the OPs caution about wet wood blocks. In either condition above, a second positive ground, whether through the landing gear of a 5th wheel, or separate ground strap would prevent a hot skin on the RV.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:03 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
Good information, but neither video above addresses the OPs caution about wet wood blocks. In either condition above, a second positive ground, whether through the landing gear of a 5th wheel, or separate ground strap would prevent a hot skin on the RV.
It would prevent the shock by masking the problem. The problem is getting that ground. Few folks are into pounding in a ground stake and making the connection.

The reason for the tingle with temporary wiring was probably improper bonding in the temporary box. Each box should have had a ground rod.

The biggest take away for me is the non contact voltage sensor. They are less than $10 these days, easy to test, and probably one of the best tools for someone who is afraid of electricity. Properly used they can trouble shoot a lot of lost power problems even through walls. They can do that without actually making a connection as is required when using a meter.

FWIW I would say Mike Sokol could be a competent engineer. He definitely is a good salesman.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:48 AM   #36

Workhorse Chassis Owner
First, I state that I know practically nothing about electricity. So, I want to protect me, my wife and my dog as much as possible (& practical) from faulty and/or miss-wired campground pedestals. Here's how I do it:

Before plugging in my motorhome's power cord, I test the campground's pedestal with this, which I had a licensed electrician construct from plans posted by several iRV2 members:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1454080428.644076.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	117692

If a problem is indicated, I don't plug in and campground management is alerted. After repair to pedestal is made (or I move to another site), I retest. When (& only when) everything tests ok, I plug into campground's pedestal.

To guard my motorhome while plugged into shore power, I have one of these installed:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1454081235.946385.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	117693

I think these two devices and my procedural routine provides me, my loved ones and my motorhome with practical, affordable and adequate protection from electrical abnormalities, excluding a direct lightening hit. If that were to happen, I expect to sacrifice my Progressive Industries EMS HW50C, which has a lifetime guarantee.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Toad
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 07:18 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post

It is progressive industries. brand name "surge guard". And has a PI ems. Came standard on coach, well actually a factory option from fleetwood. Even the transfer swicth is built by them. I think its actually built in to the transfer switch as the remote for the ems comes off of a plug on the transfer switch which says surge guard on it.
Progressive Industries does not make a Transfer Switch for a RV. Nor do they make a product with Surge Guard on the label.

I think you are confusing the PI EMS with the TRC Surge Guard which is not the same product

I would venture a guess that you are mistaken about the brand and model coming from Progressive Industries because if it was my recommendation would be to call their customer service tech and explain to them exactly what happen with a Hot Skin condition which means a No Ground condition so they can repair the unit to work correctly.

As I stated earlier, if in fact you have a Progressive Industries EMS unit if working correctly it SHOULD have severed your power immediately when it sensed a No Ground condition.

I would look to see exactly what you do have and what it actually dose for protecting your coach and family against errant power problems. You may be surprised at what you find.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 01-29-2016, 07:29 PM   #38

Hot skin......bad ground..........either at power pedestal, in cord or at connection.

And if it is raining........jump/run fast as you can
Old 01-29-2016, 07:32 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
If an rv has a hot skin, something is wrong with the electrical system and needs to be corrected
dons2346
I agree.
Everyone who owns or uses a RV should watch this video.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:09 PM   #40

Country Coach Owners Club
Thanks Mel. I cannot believe that people are looking for a way to basically "beat the system" instead of addressing a serious problem with their rv.

Hopefully everyone will watch the video.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:39 PM   #41

We overlanders tend to be a little blase about where we get our electricity form. This really isn't as bad as it looks because there is only two wires coming down the pole anyway. Have plenty of similar photos from various corners of the world and in most cases an earth conductor is regarded as an expensive luxury that can easily be left out.

At least this outlet is screwed firmly to the post even it it is only fed by two wires.

Not uncommon in Mexico too.

One place in Morocco had about 20 outlets supplied by a single circuit.

In many countries it is mandatory for each RV supply outlet socket to be supplied via a individual earth leakage breaker so that even if there is a problem with the earth conductor to the RV, the leakage to earth will trip the breaker so hot skin can't result in a dangerous situation.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:45 AM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here is a link to what fleetwood installed at the factory. It also has ems.
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/c...zEnRoClgvw_wcB

Tags
motorhome