Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2007, 11:00 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
I just purchased a new MH policy from FMCA. I got my renewal from Progressive last month and it had went up about $160. I called Progressive to check on the reason for the increase. A very nice lady explained that California had just had a 10% increase in premiums. She also suggested that I "check around" and said that they are not always the best deal.

I called Good Sam (GMAC) for a quote, although that is who I changed from last year because their MH policy was so expensive. Last year Progressive beat them by $300. And just like before, they were still $200 more expensive than Progressive, even after the rate hike.

Then while reading the FMCA magazine a few weeks ago I saw an ad for the FMCA insurance. It claimed to be the best rates around for MH coverage. It was worth a try. I filled out an on line application. A few days later I got a quote back that was $300 cheaper than Progressive, with some of the coverages better than Progressives limits! FMCA also included the 5 year replacement coverage.

I signed them up immediately. I highly recommend shopping around if your policy is close to renewal. It could save you some serious cash!
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2007, 11:00 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I just purchased a new MH policy from FMCA. I got my renewal from Progressive last month and it had went up about $160. I called Progressive to check on the reason for the increase. A very nice lady explained that California had just had a 10% increase in premiums. She also suggested that I "check around" and said that they are not always the best deal.

I called Good Sam (GMAC) for a quote, although that is who I changed from last year because their MH policy was so expensive. Last year Progressive beat them by $300. And just like before, they were still $200 more expensive than Progressive, even after the rate hike.

Then while reading the FMCA magazine a few weeks ago I saw an ad for the FMCA insurance. It claimed to be the best rates around for MH coverage. It was worth a try. I filled out an on line application. A few days later I got a quote back that was $300 cheaper than Progressive, with some of the coverages better than Progressives limits! FMCA also included the 5 year replacement coverage.

I signed them up immediately. I highly recommend shopping around if your policy is close to renewal. It could save you some serious cash!
Old 06-12-2007, 06:46 PM   #3

Do you have to be a FMCA member, and what does that cost?
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:13 AM   #4

I only have a 2003 Allegro Bay gas coach so maybe that is why mine is so inexpensive but I hear all this talk about $300 more $200 less etc and my whole policy through State Farm is about the price of these differences you are seeing. I think mine is about $400 or slightly less per year for full coverage with very high coverage. I do have other policies with them and a long history which I am sure helps but they told me that all Motorhomes are inexpensive with them.
rotts4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:22 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't think you have to be a FMCA member, but it may improve the rate you get quoted. I think the FMCA yearly membership was $45 for a new member, $35 after that. It's still way worth it.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:58 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I moved from GMAC (AUTO-RV-BIKE) to AARP/HARTFORD, AND SAVE $500 in MAY of 07.
Also move the Homeowner from LIBERY Mutual to AARP/HARTFORD and saved $300.
Someone must be a card carrying member of the AARP tho!!!!TENN
Old 06-13-2007, 08:16 AM   #7

SargeW, We've had our coach insured by "Foremost" since we started RV'ing in 1995. Had Excellent service with claims absolutely no hassle. Not sure how their premiums compare with others though.

Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 01:13 PM   #8

Other's rate will have little or no bearing on what you may expect from a particular company. All companies use similar but variations of underwriting experiences to determine their rates. To my knowledge, insurance rates are based on what state/county you live in as well as your driving habits. So the only way to find out the cheapest rates are to shop around. What may be cheep in one county may be the most expensive in the next county.

What you cover as well as the RV cost will determineyour premium as well. So an entrance level MH will generally be cheaper than a high level coach. Generally if you insure other items (home and cars) with the same company they will give you a discount. Others have deminishing deductables, and extra coverage, i.e., awnings and etc that may add to the cost.

So get your coverage amounts together and do some calling. (Don't try to get by with low liablity coverage--get at least $300,000) Another important factor is the companies adjusting policy. This is hard to find out without talking to a lot of people. Generally all policies are the same until you have a loss. This is when you appreciate companies like State Farm, Cotton State, Nationwide, Great American and Fireman Fund just to name a few. Notice I didn't say the company that Sears use to own. I like some companies that cator to RVs because of their coverage. s/Toby
Old 06-14-2007, 02:38 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
We had cheap insurance from a company that insured primarily cars some years ago. Our coach was parked in a campground when it wasd smashed into by a trash truck. The claims handling and the inability of the claims agents to understand that RVs are not like cars when they get crushed was an extremely painful experience. We moved our insurance to a company that insures RVs and have had a much better experience when we had another claim.

The point is cheapest is not always best. Make sure that the company actually has MH experience and provisions for things like expenses if any problem that occurs away from home.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:15 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
DSouthw524, Good advise, these are my feelings on motorhome insurance also. The old axe about you get what you pay for, usually holds true. IMHO

Dieselclacker
Old 06-19-2007, 06:49 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well just for kicks, insurance is due in Dec. so started looking around just to see. Having seen the new FMCA insurance advertised, (member) I gave them a chance to quote on a 3 vehicle coverage. WITHOUT RV replacement coverage added in, they are +$1000 over USAA rates. So one down------

Best,
ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 08:21 AM   #12

I have had AARP/Hartford insurance on my three cars, motor home, and residence for a number of years. While the rates have gone up a little each year, every time I check competitive rates I am saving at least $500 to $1000 over all the other highly touted plans.
Of course insurance is only as good as the service you get when you have a claim. To that end, I recently had storm damage from the loss of my awning in a freakish down-burst wind in Texas. I waited until I returned to Illinois before getting things fixed, but AARP/Hatford ws a great assistance in assuring the quote between an RV dealer and a body shop was reasonable and the workmanship would be satisfactory. The claim was for a little over $8400 with my portion being the $100 deductible. Body shop work by John's Paint and Body in Lexington, IL was outstanding. They seem to specialize in motor home repairs. R&S Sales & Service of Mahomet IL, my selling dealer, did the awning replacement. Rig looks like new again.
Never thought I would have such an insurance claim, but nice to know that what I am paying for actually comes through when needed.
KTYSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:51 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ruppr:
&lt;snip&gt; WITHOUT RV replacement coverage added in, they are +$1000 over USAA rates. So one down------ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
umm... I didn't think USAA insured RVs. Am I mistaken?
Mahlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:44 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yep, I've had two insured with them since 2001.

Best,
ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote