Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2019, 07:35 AM   #29

Workhorse Chassis Owner
In the event of a total loss, you might want to find a policy, in advance, where there is an agreed value rider. If you want/need $65K, in lieu of haggling with the adjusters, it might be available. Maybe. Possibly.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2019, 07:42 AM   #30

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman018 View Post
Check out The Hartford through AARP.
Dave
They were more expensive in my case.
AE Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:44 AM   #31
RV LIFE Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
In the event of a total loss, you might want to find a policy, in advance, where there is an agreed value rider. If you want/need $65K, in lieu of haggling with the adjusters, it might be available. Maybe. Possibly.

We have an agreed value policy. You need to watch it though. Some agreed value rduce the agreed value each year, others just keep it the same every year. We only have had an agred value for 2-3 years so far so we don't know what the future will bring.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:48 AM   #32

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStarr View Post
Do you full time in the Motorhome?
Not yet...[emoji16]
AE Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:57 AM   #33

I use Amica Insurance for all my needs. I have had 3 homeowners claims in 5 years totalling $250k, with no significant rate bump. Two claims required water remediation, and both times they sent and fully paid for water remediation teams that showed up the next day.

They had an RV policy ready to go when I called to add my new used RV.

Amica is a ‘mutual’ insurance company, where they have no stockholders, policies are owned by the policy holders. I have no affiliation beyond getting excellent service.

Good luck on your insurance hunt.
scampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:17 PM   #34

$500-$2000 per year?

I'm paying $246/mo for full coverage with my 2001 37 footer through progressive. After reading this post I'm assuming I'm getting screwed??

Never been in an accident, 30yr old male. May have had a few speeding tickets in the past.

Set the value of the mh to 40k... Driving "14 days a year"

JBaytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:28 PM   #35

You're 30, with speeding tickets. And where your RV is home based makes a difference.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:35 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
I did an extensive search of insurance years ago and you'd be surprised how few companies had any idea what to do with RVs. They have gotten better over the ensuing 15 years of my full timing and I periodically read reviews and complaints and I check prices occasionally when my Progressive policy is about to expire. I also just let it expire for a couple months when I know I won't be driving and the RV park is nice and quiet. That keeps them from thinking they can just up my rates whenever they feel like it.

But, right now, since you asked, I'd recommend Progressive. And yes, they do pay. Had an accident last August, met with their estimator, got a $4830 estimate. They allow me to find my own shop, I tried, got sick, also had a hospital visit, and soon months had dragged by. Wrote them about the trouble I was having getting it into a shop I trusted, so I'd settle for $4500. They agreed, but then sent me a check for the $4830 after all. Kinda nice.

I fully expect a 15%-30% increase in my rates because of the accident, but I'll save enough money having it repaired in Mexico that I'll pay it and I should still come out all right. And keep their goodwill.

Anyway, that's Progressive. I recently had a run in with Geico on my car insurance and never again will I get a quote from them. Bait & Switch is not my kind of game.

BTW, never buy insurance over the phone these days, no matter which company. You'll save up to $200 signing up online and never talking to an agent person, because when you do, boom, higher rate.
Jim, good luck online, a good agent will help you in determining the right coverages for your situation they can also help with the claims process. Also making the statement that using an agent costs you an extra $200 is wrong. There are very few companies that discount their online services, if they do it is around 10% so a $200 difference would be a pretty pricey policy. Good agents earn their commission, heaven forbid someone earns a living based on their expertise. Good luck out there, stay safe.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:40 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStarr View Post
I realize rates vary, but can anyone tell me what I can expect to pay for a 40' Class A motor home that we intend to live in full time? Clean driving record.

Ballpark would be fine. I honestly have no idea what kind of money we are talking about. Lets say the MotorHome is a 5 years old DP and is worth $150,000
PM me I can put you in touch with an agent that can help you. You are in a situation where the value of the coach combined with full timing can cause some limitations so you need to get the right policy. Also depending on where you are domiciled can affect your rate dramatically. My professional guess is around $2.5k annually. I have an agent in my office that specializes in R.V. insurance.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:37 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorDanS View Post
Jim, good luck online, a good agent will help you in determining the right coverages for your situation they can also help with the claims process. Also making the statement that using an agent costs you an extra $200 is wrong. There are very few companies that discount their online services, if they do it is around 10% so a $200 difference would be a pretty pricey policy. Good agents earn their commission, heaven forbid someone earns a living based on their expertise. Good luck out there, stay safe.
I will continue to shop online for RV and car insurance because I'm just not in the habit of giving money away.

Example: Back in Feb. 2016 I bought a used RV off a consignment lot. A week later I checked prices for coverage on the RV online and got several quotes from pretty good to outright scary. All for the same basic coverage, same location address, with $1,000 deductible. Found that the $776 Progressive was asking for was the best. But I had a question. So I called them, told them my quote number and asked my question. Got my answer, thanked the guy and figured that was the end of it. I DID NOT CHANGE MY COVERAGE, and I was just getting a clarification of a provision of the quote I had already gotten.

Two days later I got an email with a new 'updated' policy price. $990. So for answering a simple policy question, the 'phone agent' charged $214. And this would have likely have been the price for the policy from then on if I'd continued on with it year after year.

I immediately canceled the policy because I'm not in the habit of just giving away $200 for literally 5 minutes of work. Progressive has a $50 - $70 cancellation fee, but I paid it.

Five days later, went searching again for a policy, and Progressive was still the best value...on-line. So I paid the $776 for a policy. Even after paying the $70 cancellation fee a few days earlier, I was still saving $144 for the exact same policy.

So my $200 comment comes from EXPERIENCE.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 08:59 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerspike View Post
I'm paying $246/mo for full coverage with my 2001 37 footer through progressive. After reading this post I'm assuming I'm getting screwed??

Never been in an accident, 30yr old male. May have had a few speeding tickets in the past.

Set the value of the mh to 40k... Driving "14 days a year"

Yep, you're getting the shaft just like I did the last year I used Progressive. I now pay $1600/year with Allied for a 2013 Allegro Bus actual value plus 10%.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 02:07 PM   #40

Glad I found this thread: made me go hunt down our latest insurance paperwork! We had to have some work done and the paperwork was in the bundle for that job. Anyway we pay Allstate $600 a year and they have treated us good. Really when you're shopping for insurance, getting the cheapest premium isn't worth a darn if the insurance company isn't any good; but of course, you don't want to pay so much a month that it can hinder your options to enjoy your camper. We can manage $50 a month (roughly) (among other bills naturally) and still have a lot of fun.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:25 PM   #41

Farmers saved me $400 annually over Progressive and for better insurance. I had Progressive for many years, but they got too greedy for their own good. I quote every 2 to 3 years. Good Sam was ridiculously high.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:40 PM   #42

State Farm works for me.

Tags
insurance, motorhome