Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2011, 01:05 PM   #15

I recently needed to insure our new (2006) DP after selling the 5thW & tow vehicle. I checked with company I had used for many years then checked with GMAC via Good Sam. I was presently surprise that not only did they over a better package but could save me $700/year if I included my other vehicles. As someone mentioned, they over a savings when not in use for use non-full timers and they charge only one deductable if your insured tow is damaged along with MH in accident. I tried Allstate and State Farm but was not pleased with quote if they would even give me one on MH. For now I am with GMAC, you may get better mileage with your research.

buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2011, 03:10 PM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
got my renewal from FLO the other day. raised my rates by 20%. still a good deal but one more time & i'm gone. seems to be SOP for most of these companies.

WORKHORSE W-22
cannon man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
X2 on giving Gilbert Insurance a call. I did and am really pleased.

Progressive raised my rates 20%, two years in a row. No reason given.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:35 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck454 View Post
I recently needed to insure our new (2006) DP after selling the 5thW & tow vehicle. I checked with company I had used for many years then checked with GMAC via Good Sam. I was presently surprise that not only did they over a better package but could save me $700/year if I included my other vehicles. As someone mentioned, they over a savings when not in use for use non-full timers and they charge only one deductable if your insured tow is damaged along with MH in accident. I tried Allstate and State Farm but was not pleased with quote if they would even give me one on MH. For now I am with GMAC, you may get better mileage with your research.
I requested a quote from Good Sam/GMAC yesterday and was pleasantly surprised at their low rate plus they offer the "storage" option which saves you for those months when you aren't using the MH. Much cheaper than State Farm, Farmers, Foremost, and 21st Century. Thank you for the advice - we're switching to GMAC.

Jim and Susan
'00 Pace Arrow Vision 36B
Merlin, OR
Old 08-05-2011, 09:03 PM   #19
JSW

I've had GMAC (through Good Sam) for several years. We have had two claims and they have settled both quickly and fairly. They cover both my cars and the MH and rates have remained the same for all this time.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
We've had GMAC (through Good Sam) since we purchased our MH 2 years ago. Have never filed a claim for anything. The first year the premium was $477, which was much less than going through my Farmer's Ins. Agent (which uses Foremost Ins. for MHs), even though all our other vehicles and homeowner's are insure through Farmers.
Just received our policy renewal notice, and the rate went from $477 to $518 starting in August 2012. I called and asked why, and was told it was because there was a rate increase, which occurred after we took out our policy with GMAC last year.
Although a $41.00 increase for the year isn't that much, after reading some of the GMAC MH Ins. "horror stories", esp. re claims, I'm wondering if we should shop around for a better rate?

The only issue I've had with GMAC is when I put our MH in "storage" mode and then was told I had to pay more to re-activate the insurance when I took it out of storage, due to the rate increase. After many phone calls, they refunded the extra money we had to pay them.

I'm considering getting quotes from AAA, GEICO, and Hartford (AARP) and comparing them to GMAC premium and features. Should I bother or just bite the $41.00 increase "bullet"?

Thanks,

Jim and Susan
Merlin, OR
'00 Fleetwood Pace Arrow Vision 36B, 2 Westies,
Korean Vet, and lovin retirement!
Old 07-13-2012, 05:13 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by meant2shop View Post
We've had GMAC (through Good Sam) since we purchased our MH 2 years ago. Have never filed a claim for anything. The first year the premium was $477, which was much less than going through my Farmer's Ins. Agent (which uses Foremost Ins. for MHs), even though all our other vehicles and homeowner's are insure through Farmers.
Just received our policy renewal notice, and the rate went from $477 to $518 starting in August 2012. I called and asked why, and was told it was because there was a rate increase, which occurred after we took out our policy with GMAC last year.
Although a $41.00 increase for the year isn't that much, after reading some of the GMAC MH Ins. "horror stories", esp. re claims, I'm wondering if we should shop around for a better rate?

The only issue I've had with GMAC is when I put our MH in "storage" mode and then was told I had to pay more to re-activate the insurance when I took it out of storage, due to the rate increase. After many phone calls, they refunded the extra money we had to pay them.

I'm considering getting quotes from AAA, GEICO, and Hartford (AARP) and comparing them to GMAC premium and features. Should I bother or just bite the $41.00 increase "bullet"?

Thanks,

Jim and Susan
Merlin, OR
'00 Fleetwood Pace Arrow Vision 36B, 2 Westies,
Korean Vet, and lovin retirement!
I would think the $518 premium not bad IF for a year. GMAC just went up on me two fold (6 month premium) and gave me a 5 point handicap for hitting something in March causing considerable damage. This was an incident in my driveway, not on highway.....and I was a 0 rated driver before....#10K tab. Jumping from $7-- to $16-- for MH and Jeep for 6 months is a huge jump. I have gone back to Independent agent where I have two other vehicles insured and they are giving me a quote of just over $1100 FOR YEAR to add the MH and Jeep ('85). Think I will go back to my Ind agent (SAFECO policy).

I was happy with GMAC until the big increase. I liked their "sleeper" idea although I never used it and I had no trouble getting paid for the March claim. I understand they need to get their money back but jumping premium so much, so quickly, just does not sit well with me.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:25 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
GMAC thru FMCA. Great rates and you can suspend the collision while in storage. Nevada will not let you suspend the PLPD. I'm very satisfied with then but only had one claim for a windshield repair. So far, so good.
Richard
Old 07-13-2012, 08:01 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvarner View Post
GMAC thru FMCA. Great rates and you can suspend the collision while in storage. Nevada will not let you suspend the PLPD. I'm very satisfied with then but only had one claim for a windshield repair. So far, so good.
Richard
Another good point with GMAC is their policy on windshield repair (not considered a claim/point aganist the insured). But, based on my experience this year, don't have a claim that is costly search as mine.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:33 PM   #24

Smile

I am shopping around for Motor Home Insurance. I see above that people have had State Farm, American Modern, etc., but have been advised, at least by my State Farm agent that they don't insure RV / Motor Homes anymore. I looked at the site for American Modern and find no reference to RV / Motor Homes. I currently have insurance through one of the Good Sam insurers and just wanted to check rates, as I have had no claims and therefore no real reason to switch. All information is appreciated....
Old 06-23-2015, 07:46 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bob, kind of an old thread but still relevant. I am going with an agent who writes motorhome insurance for Winnebagos and, I assume, others. Call Matt Polsdofer at 800-642-4892 and get a quote. I was very pleased. Good luck
Rich
Old 06-23-2015, 08:43 PM   #26

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvarner View Post
Bob, kind of an old thread but still relevant. I am going with an agent who writes motorhome insurance for Winnebagos and, I assume, others. Call Matt Polsdofer at 800-642-4892 and get a quote. I was very pleased. Good luck
Rich
American Modern dropped us and doesn't write for RV anymore. We're using Progressive.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:12 PM   #27

Hartford thru AARP. We had Progressive, they kept raising rates, and got stinky, wanting direct deposit, could have just been our broker though. Then National General (Good Sam), beware they have a charge for dropping or changing your insurance mid-year. Not with Hartford thru AARP (don't actually have to OLD) Better rates, great service, just had two front wind shields replaced in our Class A, no muss, no fuss, one call and they sent someone to our house, real professionals. Highly recommend. Better rates too!
Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:49 AM   #28

X2 for Hartford!

wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, motorhome