Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-04-2011, 01:05 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
buck454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NorthEast Texas
Posts: 671
I recently needed to insure our new (2006) DP after selling the 5thW & tow vehicle. I checked with company I had used for many years then checked with GMAC via Good Sam. I was presently surprise that not only did they over a better package but could save me $700/year if I included my other vehicles. As someone mentioned, they over a savings when not in use for use non-full timers and they charge only one deductable if your insured tow is damaged along with MH in accident. I tried Allstate and State Farm but was not pleased with quote if they would even give me one on MH. For now I am with GMAC, you may get better mileage with your research.
__________________

__________________
competitive shooter RVer
2006 Gulfstream Friendship G7 8411 400HP Cum.
RM Sterling/'07 Chevy Colorado CrewCab 4x4
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2011, 03:10 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: western wa.
Posts: 539
got my renewal from FLO the other day. raised my rates by 20%. still a good deal but one more time & i'm gone. seems to be SOP for most of these companies.
__________________

__________________
2007 NRV DOLPHIN LX 6342

WORKHORSE W-22
cannon man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Wizard's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Home on the hill in Georgia
Posts: 2,457
X2 on giving Gilbert Insurance a call. I did and am really pleased.

Progressive raised my rates 20%, two years in a row. No reason given.
__________________
Jerry & Patsy Potter, Taz & Jake Jr.
2000 Winnebago Journey
2006 Ford Explorer 4X4
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:35 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck454 View Post
I recently needed to insure our new (2006) DP after selling the 5thW & tow vehicle. I checked with company I had used for many years then checked with GMAC via Good Sam. I was presently surprise that not only did they over a better package but could save me $700/year if I included my other vehicles. As someone mentioned, they over a savings when not in use for use non-full timers and they charge only one deductable if your insured tow is damaged along with MH in accident. I tried Allstate and State Farm but was not pleased with quote if they would even give me one on MH. For now I am with GMAC, you may get better mileage with your research.
I requested a quote from Good Sam/GMAC yesterday and was pleasantly surprised at their low rate plus they offer the "storage" option which saves you for those months when you aren't using the MH. Much cheaper than State Farm, Farmers, Foremost, and 21st Century. Thank you for the advice - we're switching to GMAC.

Jim and Susan
'00 Pace Arrow Vision 36B
Merlin, OR
__________________
meant2shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:03 PM   #19
JSW
Senior Member
 
JSW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Galveston
Posts: 109
I've had GMAC (through Good Sam) for several years. We have had two claims and they have settled both quickly and fairly. They cover both my cars and the MH and rates have remained the same for all this time.
__________________
JSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 242
We've had GMAC (through Good Sam) since we purchased our MH 2 years ago. Have never filed a claim for anything. The first year the premium was $477, which was much less than going through my Farmer's Ins. Agent (which uses Foremost Ins. for MHs), even though all our other vehicles and homeowner's are insure through Farmers.
Just received our policy renewal notice, and the rate went from $477 to $518 starting in August 2012. I called and asked why, and was told it was because there was a rate increase, which occurred after we took out our policy with GMAC last year.
Although a $41.00 increase for the year isn't that much, after reading some of the GMAC MH Ins. "horror stories", esp. re claims, I'm wondering if we should shop around for a better rate?

The only issue I've had with GMAC is when I put our MH in "storage" mode and then was told I had to pay more to re-activate the insurance when I took it out of storage, due to the rate increase. After many phone calls, they refunded the extra money we had to pay them.

I'm considering getting quotes from AAA, GEICO, and Hartford (AARP) and comparing them to GMAC premium and features. Should I bother or just bite the $41.00 increase "bullet"?

Thanks,

Jim and Susan
Merlin, OR
'00 Fleetwood Pace Arrow Vision 36B, 2 Westies,
Korean Vet, and lovin retirement!
__________________
meant2shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:13 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
buck454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NorthEast Texas
Posts: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by meant2shop View Post
We've had GMAC (through Good Sam) since we purchased our MH 2 years ago. Have never filed a claim for anything. The first year the premium was $477, which was much less than going through my Farmer's Ins. Agent (which uses Foremost Ins. for MHs), even though all our other vehicles and homeowner's are insure through Farmers.
Just received our policy renewal notice, and the rate went from $477 to $518 starting in August 2012. I called and asked why, and was told it was because there was a rate increase, which occurred after we took out our policy with GMAC last year.
Although a $41.00 increase for the year isn't that much, after reading some of the GMAC MH Ins. "horror stories", esp. re claims, I'm wondering if we should shop around for a better rate?

The only issue I've had with GMAC is when I put our MH in "storage" mode and then was told I had to pay more to re-activate the insurance when I took it out of storage, due to the rate increase. After many phone calls, they refunded the extra money we had to pay them.

I'm considering getting quotes from AAA, GEICO, and Hartford (AARP) and comparing them to GMAC premium and features. Should I bother or just bite the $41.00 increase "bullet"?

Thanks,

Jim and Susan
Merlin, OR
'00 Fleetwood Pace Arrow Vision 36B, 2 Westies,
Korean Vet, and lovin retirement!
I would think the $518 premium not bad IF for a year. GMAC just went up on me two fold (6 month premium) and gave me a 5 point handicap for hitting something in March causing considerable damage. This was an incident in my driveway, not on highway.....and I was a 0 rated driver before....#10K tab. Jumping from $7-- to $16-- for MH and Jeep for 6 months is a huge jump. I have gone back to Independent agent where I have two other vehicles insured and they are giving me a quote of just over $1100 FOR YEAR to add the MH and Jeep ('85). Think I will go back to my Ind agent (SAFECO policy).

I was happy with GMAC until the big increase. I liked their "sleeper" idea although I never used it and I had no trouble getting paid for the March claim. I understand they need to get their money back but jumping premium so much, so quickly, just does not sit well with me.
__________________
competitive shooter RVer
2006 Gulfstream Friendship G7 8411 400HP Cum.
RM Sterling/'07 Chevy Colorado CrewCab 4x4
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:25 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
rvarner's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pahrump, NV
Posts: 461
GMAC thru FMCA. Great rates and you can suspend the collision while in storage. Nevada will not let you suspend the PLPD. I'm very satisfied with then but only had one claim for a windshield repair. So far, so good.
Richard
__________________
2004 Horizon 40AD/ISC 350/2012 SILVERADO or 2008 Chevy HHR/Demco/Vmspc/FMCA-F394912/SKP-115085/2004 Can-Am Outlander/2013 Polaris RZR
rvarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:01 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
buck454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NorthEast Texas
Posts: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvarner View Post
GMAC thru FMCA. Great rates and you can suspend the collision while in storage. Nevada will not let you suspend the PLPD. I'm very satisfied with then but only had one claim for a windshield repair. So far, so good.
Richard
Another good point with GMAC is their policy on windshield repair (not considered a claim/point aganist the insured). But, based on my experience this year, don't have a claim that is costly search as mine.
__________________
competitive shooter RVer
2006 Gulfstream Friendship G7 8411 400HP Cum.
RM Sterling/'07 Chevy Colorado CrewCab 4x4
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:33 PM   #24
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 9
Smile

I am shopping around for Motor Home Insurance. I see above that people have had State Farm, American Modern, etc., but have been advised, at least by my State Farm agent that they don't insure RV / Motor Homes anymore. I looked at the site for American Modern and find no reference to RV / Motor Homes. I currently have insurance through one of the Good Sam insurers and just wanted to check rates, as I have had no claims and therefore no real reason to switch. All information is appreciated....
__________________
bobcratchett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:46 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
rvarner's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pahrump, NV
Posts: 461
Bob, kind of an old thread but still relevant. I am going with an agent who writes motorhome insurance for Winnebagos and, I assume, others. Call Matt Polsdofer at 800-642-4892 and get a quote. I was very pleased. Good luck
Rich
__________________
2004 Horizon 40AD/ISC 350/2012 SILVERADO or 2008 Chevy HHR/Demco/Vmspc/FMCA-F394912/SKP-115085/2004 Can-Am Outlander/2013 Polaris RZR
rvarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:43 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Fossilhog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Howell, New Jersey
Posts: 360
Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvarner View Post
Bob, kind of an old thread but still relevant. I am going with an agent who writes motorhome insurance for Winnebagos and, I assume, others. Call Matt Polsdofer at 800-642-4892 and get a quote. I was very pleased. Good luck
Rich
American Modern dropped us and doesn't write for RV anymore. We're using Progressive.
__________________
Tim ,Retired Police Lt. 2002 Winnebago Adventurer+16' Trailer
Harley Road King and Heritage Classic+,Trik-L-start,Hughes Autoformer. Blue Tick Coon hound
Fossilhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:12 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Hit_the_Rhod's Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Salvisa, KY
Posts: 2,429
Hartford thru AARP. We had Progressive, they kept raising rates, and got stinky, wanting direct deposit, could have just been our broker though. Then National General (Good Sam), beware they have a charge for dropping or changing your insurance mid-year. Not with Hartford thru AARP (don't actually have to OLD) Better rates, great service, just had two front wind shields replaced in our Class A, no muss, no fuss, one call and they sent someone to our house, real professionals. Highly recommend. Better rates too!
__________________
Scot & Laura Kellersberger
Newmar 4 wheel drive Dutch Star 3891, 2005 GMC Canyon. Demco Tow Bar & Baseplate U.S.Army (ret)
1985 - 2006
Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:49 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 250
X2 for Hartford!
__________________

__________________
2011 Monaco Knight 36', MaxForce 10, 350HP, 1150 lbs. Torque.
2008 Saturn Vue Toad, SMI Duo Brake, Roadmaster Sterling Tow Bar
San Antonio, TX Home Port
wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
insurance, motorhome



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
when buying a used motorhome melvonnar iRV2.com General Discussion 2 06-28-2011 02:41 PM
Fifth wheel vs Motorhome pitcrew18 5th Wheel Discussion 29 06-28-2009 04:53 PM
Motorhome wreck jeeprubi RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories 6 06-12-2009 02:03 AM
RV Roadside Assistance and Insurance DLane Newmar Owner's Forum 13 12-28-2008 04:02 AM
Motorhome insurance Peabody iRV2.com General Discussion 10 11-22-2008 02:33 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.