Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2011, 11:06 PM   #1

Motorhome insurance

Anybody have any suggestions on good companies for a part-timer for insurance on our new (used) motorhome.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2011, 11:35 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have GMAC, no price increase in 5 plus years. I have shopped other companies and haven't found any cheaper, your experience may be different.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:47 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
.........Gilbert RV Insurance
Orlando, FL
Welcome to IRV2, jump in anytime, you will gain a lot of information here, good people.
I have home,cars with S/F, which could not compete with them on the RV. Good luck and travel safe.
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:49 PM   #4

We have Geico on all vehicles. Now the only problem is that you can't just have MH insurance for part of the year like with a TT. They don't consider a MH to be in storage. With that we pay about $300 per year for coverage. I have had State Farm, Progressive, Nationwide, etc. and not one ever gave me lower rates. Great record and no accidents. So that why I have Geico. Great road side service (used once and was fantasic). Can change online in minutes and no hassles.

JMHO.
Arnold
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:18 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
We have GMAC and don't full time. When we are not traveling for a while, we can call them and it goes lower for that time. It helps us because we are accountants and for Jan-Apr we can't go anywhere.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:10 AM   #6

Although we have not gotten one yet, I will most likely use State Farm because I have everything with them right now and have been with them for close to 40 years.

STUFF IN THE GARAGE: F150, ChevyII Pro Street, Roush Mustang
Jus Cruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:19 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I always recommended Progressive. Our dealership had several problems with auto insurers, not because they were bad, but because they did not know anything about motorhomes.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:55 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have American Modern Ins. Three claims and very responsive.
Not a Clue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:45 PM   #9

I'm the Auto Physical Damage Manager for a national Property and Casualty Insurance Company and my suggestion is to get your insurance with whoever you feel comfortable with. Most carriers settle claims in the same manner. If you have a problem with a claim or an adjuster, I would go to their supervisor or above. The main thing to look at with any insurance company is the policy. That's the contract. If an adjuster says that something isn't covered, have them show you in the policy where it states that.

Hope this helps.......
adamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:57 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
Same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not a Clue View Post
We have American Modern Ins. Three claims and very responsive.
Have had AMH now for a few years cheapest and paid off a claim in 2 days, adjuster at house day after the wind damage happened.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:12 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I always recommended Progressive. Our dealership had several problems with auto insurers, not because they were bad, but because they did not know anything about motorhomes.
I don't want to steal another's thunder, but a poster a while back said to google or bing Progressive's chairman, Peter Lewis. I did and will be dropping Progressive.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:25 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have progressive---because when one of their customers took the front of our motor home off by backing into us-----progressive managed the claim expertly and fairly and completely---it was a big claim, complicated and they took care of literaly everything---so we switched---because of their service.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:39 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Motorhome Insurance

We purchased our MH in Sept of last year ('10) and insured it with State Farm, who we had our other vehicles insured with, and had been with them for many years.

We recently dropped State Farm for all our vehicles and homeowner's ins. because they kept increasing our son's insurance premium due to a 3 yr old accident and we were frustrated so we dropped State Farm. We currently have 21st Century (a subsidiary of Farmers), but are considering switching all our vehicles to Farmer's since they offer lower premiums and we have good driving records, etc. We will realize a hefty savings by insuring our other 3 cars with Farmers versus with 21st Century or State Farm.

We got a quote yesterday for our MH from the Farmer's agent, through Foremost Insurance Co., but it's $366.00 more per year than what we paid through State Farm, and more than we are currently paying through 21st Century.

So we're probably going to get a new quote from State Farm - probably won't be as good as what we previously paid with them, since we won't be getting a multi-line discount, but it may still be better than Farmer's. Plus, State Farm offered "storage" discounts when you are not using the MH, and Foremost does not offer this. This is a savings for part-timers like us who may not use our MH for a few winter months or a month here and there due to other commitments.

Anyone have Good Sam MH insurance? Customer service experience? Cost comparison - high/lower than other insurance companies? Do they offer "storage" discounts? I also saw AMH Insurance mentioned more than once? How do they compare with State Farm, etc. and do they offer "storage"? Customer service experience with AMH?

Thanks - Jim and Susan
Merlin, OR
'00 Fleetwood Pace Arrow Vision 36B
'97 Suzuki Sidekick toad
plus Chelsea and Chloe - our wonderful West Highland Terrier lassies!
Old 08-04-2011, 12:45 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
I don't want to steal another's thunder, but a poster a while back said to google or bing Progressive's chairman, Peter Lewis. I did and will be dropping Progressive.
i have known about lewis for a long time he once said on 60 minutes (many many years ago) his favorite thing to do was sit around and smoke dope all day
i also canceled my NRA membership till they dropped him as an advertiser
brianj

Tags
insurance, motorhome