Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Motorhome Magazine Readers Choice Awards....

Got my MH magazine today and they had the Readers Choice Awards. Did anyone notice the #1 refrigerator was Norcold, #2 Dometic, #3 Atwood. Am I missing something here? Where is Samsung?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Probably drawn from what RV manufacturers buy to put in RV's with RV type fridges. Or, if from some sort of customer surveys, you can bet they limited the choices to manufacturers who advertise in their publications.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I saw that, and was thinking maybe it was "advertisers" awards

Samsung imo has gently eased into the fridge replacement market very nicely.

They have more 24" case sized fridges and do not call them counter depths so the price jump is not as painful.

i never had any fridge issues since 1996 in many different rvs until we got this bus
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #4

I would imagine that those names will soon be replaced by
Whirlpool, Samsung and the likes in Residential fridges.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:07 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Probably drawn from what RV manufacturers buy to put in RV's with RV type fridges. Or, if from some sort of customer surveys, you can bet they limited the choices to manufacturers who advertise in their publications.
Well, if we're going to call the magazine out on it they say" That's we asked Motorhome Readers to vote for their favorite stuff in this, our 2013 Readers Choice Awards.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:07 PM   #6

Perhaps based on population by vendor?

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:12 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
It sells magazines by having the "bogus" Reader's Choice Awards".

Try and convince the 2000 or more people who have had a fire with their Norcold or Dometic fridge or the thousands of others who have changed them out for residential or Amish units.

When my subscription ended back a few years ago, the magazine had gotten way too skimpy on important stuff and other articles with way too much advertising that I refused to renew.

The only magazine I am receiving is the FMCA one and that will disappear once my membership expires in 2015.

Truthfully, you can get far better information from the Internet with using some creative search terms than any of the magazines for RVer's.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 12-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #8

Iam on my 3rd diesel pusher in 8 years and all had 1200 Norcolds and all worked flawlessly
Never had one problem with any of them.Cool great in hot weather etc.I personally think their a great lpg fridge
Old 12-05-2013, 08:54 PM   #9

I love my whirlpool and will never go back to a propane refrigerator.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #10

Wow, we wouldn't trade our Whirlpool Res fridge for anything else that we have owned, great cooling, low bat usage, and lot's of room. We disagreed with several of their poll winners when we received our magazine, but the fridge call, well, we missed the logic there.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:25 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I just finished posting on another thread the KwH usage for the Samsung RF197 we have had since April 2012.

I had the Kill-O-Watt plugged in for 864 hours and it used 66KwH's for that period of time, part of October and all of November.

That works out to be 1.83 KW per day.

I'd like to see the Norcold beat those numbers when using electric. They can't even come close. and they still chew up your 12 VDC too.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 12-05-2013, 09:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I just finished posting on another thread the KwH usage for the Samsung RF197 we have had since April 2012. I had the Kill-O-Watt plugged in for 864 hours and it used 66KwH's for that period of time, part of October and all of November. That works out to be 1.83 KW per day. I'd like to see the Norcold beat those numbers when using electric. They can't even come close. and they still chew up your 12 VDC too. Dr4Film ----- Richard
I'm certain that Norcold cannot even approach those numbers, Richard.

I do not know about the majority of the RVing public, but I am always on CG power. No poke intended.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:26 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
What's really amusing is when Thom and I went to the big RVIA RV show just a few months ago we walked thru just about every new DP from quite a few different manufacturers and every single one had a residential fridge in them. GE, Frigidaire and Whirlpool in every single one. Not a Norcold or Dematic fridge to be found. Everyone once in a while I saw a Dematic microwave but even then it was the odd one out.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #14

In all my years if travel, I have not met a person that had such a fire, do not know anyone that has seen one or even know someone that did have one. Only very isolated news stories and a couple of actual testimonials. With over 2000 fires and no hard documentation, I remain on the fence.

And seeing only residential refers in a show of big MHs is not a representative sampling of the RV population.

Just color me skeptical.

Tags
motorhome