Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2006, 06:03 AM   #1

We're still looking for the "ideal" used motorhome. I'm basing my choices on ratings from the RV Consumer Group.

We have Tiffin and National in the list, and have added Triple E and Rexhall, though there don't seem to be too many of these, especially here in the southwest. Does anyone have any experience/opinions with/on Itaska (Suncruiser)? I have thought about the Fleetwood Bounder, but the interior quality just doesn't seem that good to me. There sure are lots of them around, though.

Thanks in advance,

Hack
--//--

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2006, 06:03 AM   #2

We're still looking for the "ideal" used motorhome. I'm basing my choices on ratings from the RV Consumer Group.

We have Tiffin and National in the list, and have added Triple E and Rexhall, though there don't seem to be too many of these, especially here in the southwest. Does anyone have any experience/opinions with/on Itaska (Suncruiser)? I have thought about the Fleetwood Bounder, but the interior quality just doesn't seem that good to me. There sure are lots of them around, though.

Thanks in advance,

Hack
--//--

Old 09-13-2006, 09:33 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Itasca is the higher trim line made by Winnebago. Itasca Suncruiser is similar to the Winnebago Adventurer, which is Winnebago's highest seller. Winnebago makes higher quality rigs than most mfgs, especially those in the same price range, and they have among the best customer support ratings in the industry. You could do a whole lot worse than Itasca, and will have difficulty doing better for anywhere close to the same money.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:45 AM   #4

It's my opinion that the older the unit you're looking at the more the condition and care of the unit matter, and the less who the manufacturer is.

You don't mention how old you're looking at, but I'd say after about 5 years, how it's cared for matters more than what it is.

And of course, a perfectly cared for perfect condition coach is worth nothing to you if you don't like it.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:37 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ehackney:

Thanks in advance,

Hack
--//-- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't offer any opinions about some of them but we had an Itasca Suncruiser and now have a Tiffin Allegro Bay and I wouldn't go back to an Itasca. You get better quality and bang for your buck with the Tiffin not to mention the incredible customer service even after warranty. You won't get that with Winnebago or most other companies. Try talking to a Mr. Winnebago or Mr. Fleetwood on the phone when you have a problem !!!

Nedra
Nedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 06:10 PM   #6

Would be interested in your final choice and how you came to it. We maybe going the same route. The wife and I will be in Fl for a couple months this winter and plan on visiting Lazy Days.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:42 PM   #7

As previous poster stated, maintence history is just as important as the manufacturer.

Although, with certian manufactuers you do get better support, which is why we choose Winnie on this unit. Winnie makes a lot of their own parts, which are still availible. They also provide many schematics for past units.

We have had nothing but excellent service and advice from Winnie, even with the problems we have found, which I am sure you will find also in talk with them or with Most current winnie owners.

Keep in mind all of us RV owners are very loyal to the current brand they own. We are so far happy.

My buying decsion would and was based partly on the manufactuers, both Winnie and Tiffin are excellent at support.

John

John (N9MXX) & Derek (KC9KEM)
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 04:38 AM   #8

We are retiring next March, and plan our first big trip (~ two months up the West Coast starting in April). We are looking at a 1999 - 2002. I was planning on something in the 28 - 32 foot range with at least a LR slide. I'm thinking that the shorter the coach the easier it will be to get into national and state parks, rather than commercial campgrounds, where we prefer to stay. We've looked at some (new) coaches as short as 28-foot that we think could work. We plan on spending most of our time outside anyhow, weather permitting. It turns out, though, that it seems easier to find used coaches in the 35-foot range. Also, according to RV Consumer's Group, a lot of the 30-foot coaches get low grades for handling. My guess is that some of the manufacturs go with shorter rather than longer wheelbases when they can.

I'm looking at a 1999 Itasca Sunflyer 35U today.

Thanks for all your responses, everybody.

Hack
--//--
Old 09-14-2006, 05:11 AM   #9

Some additional thoughts. You mention '99 and up. Good choice, the '99 Ford F53 had a lot of improvements over the earlier Ford chassis. Workhorse came out with their W series chassis about a year later. I'd avoid the earlier stuff, if you can. Sounds like you may already be doing that.

And about the shorter wheelbase stuff. The RV consumers group simply does a length to wheelbase ratio. Our 31Y does not fare very well if that's the only metric used. I've found our motorhome, which has the water tank right in the middle, and the waste tanks between the rear wheels, to be very balanced and handle just fine. And you should see some of the campsites we've been in! One site in Utah said "no trailers", but it didn't say "no motorhomes", so in we went. Host said he'd never seen a motorhome in that spot. (Sign's intent was probably "tents only" but that's not what it said.)

I think you'll find the Sunflyer to be a very nicely appointed coach. Let us know...

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 05:41 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have the 2003 Itasca Sunrise 36M on the 2002 Ford F53 chassis, it is our first motorhome and like it very much.

Pat and I like the side aisles floor plan best that is why we purchased the 36M Sunrise. It is personal preference and I can see many advantages to the split bath layouts however for us the side aisle and the bathroom all together in one separate room works best for us.

Isn't it great we have all these choices in life, something for everyone!

When thinking about retirement and what we would like to do, travel and see this beautiful country of ours, is when a motorhome came into mind. September 2003 Pat and I went to the campers show in Novi, Michigan and within three weeks we were the owners of a slightly used (almost new, ten months old) 2003 Itasca Sunrise 36M motorhome with 8,628 miles on it. My first experience driving a MH, drove it home to Michigan from Indiana 360 miles. Enjoyed it. Now we have a total of 29,000 mile to date.

We have only had minor things to fix since we have had it and most of them I fixed myself.

Bob
Old 09-14-2006, 07:16 PM   #11

Here's an update on the Itaska Sunflyer.

The dealer is asking $50K, which is quite a few thousand under his interpretation of the NADA retail - which I haven't checked. BUT - three of the storage doors are damaged. One has the edges goobered in a couple of places where someone aparently tried to break in with a crowbar. Two others look like they have body damage that was repaired and repainted by an amateur. I could try to find out what it would cost to fix them correctly, but I think I'll keep looking.

Thanks again, everyone.

Hack
--//--
Old 09-15-2006, 05:32 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think I'll keep looking </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Might be a good idea. If the owners didn't repair visible things any better than that, I would have to wonder how/if they repaired less visible things. I would want a very thorough inspection and mechanical evaluation to proceed with this one ...and/or a candid talk with the previous owners.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:57 AM   #13

Have you looked at the classified ads on this site? There is a 1996 Georgie Boy CruiseMaster with one slide for less than $25,000. Sounds pretty nice to me. We have a 2000 CruiseMaster and love it!
Old 09-21-2006, 04:24 PM   #14

I'd go with a Bounder or National. I had a Tiffin, and I'll never do that again. Yes- you can talk to Mr. Tiffin anytime you want (and you will) but I'd rather go with a brand that you don't NEED to talk to the head of the company all the time about...

Spartan & 350 CAT
Catdave is offline   Reply With Quote