Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-19-2010, 03:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Motorhome NCDMV state inspection

My MH North Carolina DMV inspection is due by Nov 30. My MH is presently in St Louis, MO with my wife at her job. Her contract is up on Oct 16th. We will be leaving MO on the 17th Oct. If all goes well we will be going to somewhere in FL for the winter with her job. No contract yet. Just started working on that this past week. If she has a job to go to in FL from MO we would like to head there without coming to Charlotte where we live. However I do need to come into NC to get the inspection done before we head to FL. For those that don't know how NC inspections work, you have up to 90 days in advance of registration due to get your vehicle inspected. Which consists of a visual inspection on the MH. Takes about 30 minutes or less. Getting this inspection done will take me 200 miles out of my way if I can get the inspection completed in Asheville, NC. Does anyone know of a shop that does inspections on MHs in or near Asheville near I-40 or I-26 that I can call & set up an appointment?

Of coarse if she doesn't have a job to go to immediately from MO, then I can get the MH inspected near home. We will know before we leave MO where we are going.

I know in the past if your vehicle was out of state when the inspection was due you could notify the DMV & get it inspected in the state you are in, send the info to NCDMV, then when you do return to NC with the vehicle you had 3 days to get an inspection. Now that there are no stickers & it is all computerized I do not know if I can still do this. If so FL has no inspection & I would just need to send documentation that the vehicle is there. Also NC will not issue the new registration with out the inspection. Does anyone know if this can still be done?

dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
As you know, a state inspection is required before you can renew your license plate. When does your plate expire????

Inspect safely,

wingtrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:00 AM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Dec 15th, that is why I am seeking info now.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:45 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Mtn. View Tire & Service
32 Tunnel Rd
Asheville, NC, 28805

'11 GMC Acadia SLT AWD
'11 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Extended Cab
Hitchhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:05 AM   #5
Contact DMV at 1 (888) 999-3044 and explain to them that your vehicle is out of state due to your wife's employment. I'm in Virginia due to the military. I spoke to them and they had me write a letter and fax it to them. They granted me a wavier on all of my vehicles due to me living out of state. I have to repeat this each year.

I'm glad they did cause I have several vehicles that would need to be driven down there just for the inspection.

Also, if this doesn't work on the first attempt, wait a few days and call back to a different rep. Mine was more that helpful. It took me a couple of days before I could renue my plates online.
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7 CTD, 45 gallon gravity tank, Cooper A/T3's, Bilstiens
2012 Arctic Fox 22H 300 watt Solar, Morningstar TS-45, 460 AH batteries, Xantrax 1000 watt PSW
Abnmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:13 PM   #6
Fleetwood Owners Club
Can you get it done earlier.? sure you would lose a few months , but you would be able to renew plates
08 Diesel Bounder 38V
phranc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:50 AM   #7

I get mine done at:

Todd's RV and Marine
2918 North Rugby Rd.
Hendersonville, NC 28791

They are in south Asheville, a couple of blocks off US-25. You can get off I-40 (exit 53-Biltmore Estate) and head south. The other option is to jump on I-26 from I-40 and get off a few miles later at the Mountain Home (Hendersonville) exit. They are only a mile or two from that exit.

Good luck.
Jim & Sandy
2011 Discovery 36J
2014 Grand Cherokee Summit
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:09 AM   #8
Winnebago Owners Club
phranc- thanks for the Phone Number, I believe this is the route I will take.

Jim - I could get it done earlier if the RV was going to be in the state of NC, however we left in May & are not sure when we are returning. Most likely not until spring 2011.

Hitchhiker- thanks for the address, if we have to get it done without a waiver form the DMV, I will call Mt View Tire & Service. This would save me from coming all the way to Concord, NC just for the inspection.

Coming to NC is going to put me 200 miles out of my way & use up a good 1/2 of a day of traveling. I only get a few days off to make this trip. Any more days off I have to take are without pay. But I will do what I have to do. Thanks for all the help.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:36 AM   #9
Appalachian Campers
Does anyone know of a shop that does inspections on MHs in or near Fuquay Varina/ Holly springs?

Roadie Roy
2006 Travel Supreme DS04
Roadieroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:06 PM   #10
National RV Owners Club
Roadie Roy, we had ours done here a year ago. Not exactly in FV, but it's always good to get the MH thoroughly warmed up before inspection anyway. ... Steve
2000 National Tradewinds 7373
2008 Honda CR-V 4WD
FMCA 204724-D
NCsleeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:01 PM   #11
Appalachian Campers
http://http://raleigh.citysearch.com...e_svc_inc.html Universal Tire does mh inspections.
Earl and Bettye
2011 Cedar Creek Custom 36RE
2008 Ford F-350 CC Lariat 6.4L Diesel DRW 4x4
igor2brvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:40 PM   #12
Can you just register it in Florida, I understand they are pretty cheap, and I don't think you have to actually live there.

khager is offline   Reply With Quote