Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2012, 06:04 PM   #1

Motorhome needs height adjustment

I have a 1997 Beaver 30ft motorhome with Magnum chassis, I have
a Wingard DSS dome on top of the motorhome. With my air suspension adjusted front and back to spec. The motorhome is to tall. Let me explain, I have an RV garage built on to the house. It is 36 feet long 14 feet wide and 14 feet tall, but the garage door entrance is only12 feet high. So the motohome is to tall to get into the garage unless I do something. I was thinking there must be a way to drop the front end when putting it in the garage. I was thinking about installing a set of valves in the front air line. One to shut the tank of to the front and the second to bleed the front air. If I drop the front a few inches I can get it into the garage. I really don't want to remove the DSS system. It is the shortest one made at 12,5 inches high.
Is it possible to do what I proposed and if so where would I find the correct valves. Remember I can not dump all the air as the brakes won't let me take it into the garage.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #2

How tall is it aired down probably a little over 12ft.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:44 PM   #3

be-aware that when you deflate the bags you may put a lot of stress on the drive shafts etc as the angles all change - maybe just the front would be ok - but I would at least consider this ?

Stephen
Old 10-22-2012, 07:40 PM   #4

With the front bags Aired down it must be 11 something, I am quessing. I just bought the motorhome a month ago and I am in the process of working my way around it. I found the front air bags measured 7 and 3/4 inches plate tp plate and it rode terrible. I set the plates at 10 inches per spec and it rides a lot better. I haven't measured the height since making that adjustment as I am having to some other work done. Before I increased in the front air bag height I had about an inch of clearance at best. So it must be well over 12 feet now and the height of my the garage door opening is 12 feet max When the front was set at 7 3/4 inches I had less than an inch of clearance.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Many RVs have air dump valves, which are used when the RV is parked to lower the overall height. So, obviously it can be done. Actually, I suspect there is already such a valve somewhere on the coach air system, possibly in an external compartment or in the engine or generator bay.

Whether you will get under 12 ft by that method seems doubtful to me, but you probably have to let the air down to find out for sure.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:51 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
If your roof is 14 feet have you looked into the expense of raising the door? Could be less trouble than you think.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:05 PM   #7

My motorhome was under 12 feet when I brought it home but the front air bags were below spec. They were 7 and 3/4 inches plate to plate and I cleared the entrance by almost an inch.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:08 PM   #8

Raising the garage opening past 12 feet is a very big problem. I have a Santa Fe style home and across the top of the opening is a hugh beam which is decorative as well as part of the structural strength of that wall.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:14 PM   #9

I have a rear compartment with air bleed nozzels. I suspect they are there to purge moisture from the air tank. There is a seperate output line for the front, the back and the breaking and pac brake lines. There should be a way to go into that front line and install a turn off followed by a dump line. That way I coul lower the front while it goes into the garage. If I did that would it hurt to leave the motorhome front down while it is in the garage, may several weeks at a time?
Old 10-22-2012, 11:28 PM   #10

It should have a air ride height adjuster valves on the front and the rear. They usually have a bolt or clamp to adjust the height. You can let both front and rear down if needed and drive it straight in the garage. May not be able to turn the front wheels much with the suspension lowered. These valves are connected to the axle by a rod. You can leave it down all year and it won't hurt a thing. Just pull it out and readjust the arms and set the ride height where you want it. The rear is kind of critical as it changes drive Line angle, and if not with in specs it can cause vibrations. Good luck.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanchoT View Post
With the front bags Aired down it must be 11 something, I am quessing. I just bought the motorhome a month ago and I am in the process of working my way around it. I found the front air bags measured 7 and 3/4 inches plate tp plate and it rode terrible. I set the plates at 10 inches per spec and it rides a lot better. I haven't measured the height since making that adjustment as I am having to some other work done. Before I increased in the front air bag height I had about an inch of clearance at best. So it must be well over 12 feet now and the height of my the garage door opening is 12 feet max When the front was set at 7 3/4 inches I had less than an inch of clearance.
looks like you already know how to raise the suspension, now just adjust it the other way. The adjuster valve will add air to raise the bags, and bleed air to lower the bags.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:02 AM   #12

I believe the most cost effective choice would be to have a competent carpenter modify the garage. once it's done, it's done. no stress on parts or the motor home, this one or the next you might buy..
Here's what I would do: Forget to lower the motorhome.. before or after i'm inside..
Or I wouldl inflate it back up, and forget and drive it out.. then I would be having the door moved anyway. ( and fixing the motorhome !!!.).
Not that I've ever done that before ( the carpenter will be her next monday....)
Old 10-23-2012, 05:46 AM   #13

You could also lower the floor at the entrance if the header above the door is non negotiable
Old 10-23-2012, 06:13 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fschambe View Post
You could also lower the floor at the entrance if the header above the door is non negotiable
Beat me to it.

Tags
motorhome