Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2010, 08:44 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lot's of good responses. It is comforting to know I am in the company of a number of 'insane' folks who love the RV lifestyle as much as we do. I'm not giving it up, for sure. We are so blessed....we live on a beautiful lake and have a new pontoon boat for cruising and fishing. And, we have the motorhome to satisfy our wander lust. Like Lori, we are thankful to have both the health and the disposable income to be able to enjoy our particular form of insanity .

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2010, 07:59 AM   #16

If you want to enjoy the RV lifestyle you have to have some kind of RV to do it in. At the moment we can afford the time and money to make the upgrades and do the repairs to the Country Coach. I could cut the "cost" of the lifestyle just by using the motor home more. Meaning costs / days spent using the RV = cost per day. The other thing is that you don't have to motor so much and home more to keep costs down.

At this time though I love our motor home and would not think about giving ours up for anything. If we ever got into a financial situation where I needed to spend less I think I would just get a smaller less expensive one. Absolutely a smaller gas coach with less systems is far less likely to need repairs than a big complex diesel coach like we have. I had a gas class A for years and loved that too. I could go back to that if needed. As for boats. RVs are so much more versatile than boats as a pleasure craft.

B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:29 PM   #17

Agreed, complete insanity. I thoroughly enjoy the lifestyle but am in a continuous state of being mad about keeping things repaired. My 3 local Freightliner dealers are idiots so I drive 1000 miles to Gaffney. My local Winnebago dealers are idiots so I drive 1000 miles to Forest City. my coach is at the local Winn dealer now for the past 2-weeks waiting for my turn for a 1-hour repair. If newcomers really knew what it takes to keep the coach repaired, aggravation and money, no new coaches would ever be sold again.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:04 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
A friend of mine has the right idea. He uses a pick-up truck to haul his BIG 5th wheeler. The truck is used for his busines so he gets a nice write off on his taxes. He certainly has fewer problems with his rig than I do with the MH.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:40 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn Man View Post
A friend of mine has the right idea. He uses a pick-up truck to haul his BIG 5th wheeler. The truck is used for his busines so he gets a nice write off on his taxes. He certainly has fewer problems with his rig than I do with the MH.
Good Point. Many of he 5th wheel owners I know, almost all of them when I think about it, are farmers. These folks can write off the P.U. truck, they have buildings to keep them out of the weather. Sure they have to make a little change in hitch configuration, but most of them are always modifying machinery for some reason. If you are a farmer it just makes good sense to buy a 5ver.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:49 AM   #20

I don't think it is insanity; insanity is expecting to save money while buying a high end motor coach and staying at resorts.
We actually spend significantly less when we are on the road (50-75% of the time) and staying in KOA level parks, but I'm not under the illusion that we are saving money. We still have depreciation, and the fixed costs for the home shack. Really full timing, we would probably want a larger and more complex motor home.
BUT; we enjoy the life and will continue as long as we are healthy (its all paid for, so we'll probably be able to afford it!)
Just my $0.02 worth.
Ernie

Remember! Life is not a rehearsal!
Ernie n Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:30 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
This argument has raged in the aircraft owners' community since wind trashed Orville and Wilbur's plane after its first hop.

Sure, we bleed money; but, as long as your kids see a smile on your face before the apologetic doctor pulls the sheet over it, the expense is worthwhile.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:05 AM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are fulltimers and planned it that way from the start. For us, we wouldn't go back to a sticks and bricks. Our houses were also expensive and always needed something fixed or done. We had to put up with lousey neighbors and had to endure barking dogs, kids on dirt bikes, etc. Now we can just pick up and move. We follow the sun and stay warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Ever changing scenery and many new friends. A way to reconnect with distant relatives and experience different cuissine. Nothing is free in this life, but this life style is priceless.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:10 AM   #23
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
94-Newmar has it about right the added fluff on newer motor homes are the insanity built in that keep dealers happy and they are more of a problem because some of them have no idea what they are doing to fix the fluff.
The older basic coach's can be maintained & is livable and we can maintain them.
One thing with a RV if you do not like your location, just move, its a big country and lots to see.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:24 AM   #24
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lightbulb What a good "talk"

well - 94-Newmar and 007 ( all others too) are on my /our line of thinking. We would love to FT, so - we bought a few years ago the Bay Star. Our thinking was, we would buy a DSDP when DW retires. We just got too much money for the stick, so we gave up on FTing and bought a smaller stick in a Gated Community and have a secure place for the 'hobby'. As we travelled around the West in our BS, we found out, it's all we need. It. was a troublefree time, so - why buy a new and bigger one? At our age we need no headache (punchlist) anymore. Had one used one (88) b4, and that one was a moneypit?!
This one will bring us to all the places, we like to see from the ground.

TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:31 AM   #25
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
TW its all you need to enjoy the lifestyle, small is simpler sometimes.
Enjoy and many happy trouble free miles.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:12 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
As mentioned by RVneophyted above, If you think MHs and boats are expensive, try an aircraft with gas @ $5-7 per gal. Annual inspections that easily reach $2-4,000. (if nothing is found wrong) and Monaco could only dream of charging what Beech does for the same light bulb.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:40 PM   #27

Thread subjects like this one will always draw out a majority of the dedicated and reasonably well-off RVers, who will inevitably state that their RVing will continue REGARDLESS of the fuel costs and related downsides of this lifestyle as our economy continues to slide and expenses rise.

BUT, keep in mind that regardless of what are actually a general minority, the collapse of the RV manufacturing industry provides stark reality as to what is REALLY happening to this lifestyle - sure, there will always be some who can and WILL continue RVing - but with the vast unemployment and foreclosed homes, luxuries such as RVing are very high on the "cancelled" list of redrawn priorities for our society at present - and foreseeable future...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:55 PM   #28

Sorry Gary, but I'm with VegasDan on this one,

We too are full time and far from being well off, comfortable yes. No way we could have our Bounder and stick house, it was one or the other. If we don't like the weather, view or our neighbor, then we are free to move. Been places and seen things the vast majority of folks will never have the pleasure of doing. Its expensive, but then again that stick house was 6 grand a year in property tax (1242 sq ft, that's RI), plus state income tax, plus sales tax. Now we are legally out of FL and plan on keep on keeping on Boundering.

Bob