Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #29
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You maybe right Gary and with the gas prices moving up its going to cause another slow down in RV industry I'm afraid.
We just have to try and keep a positive outlook and hope for the best.
Haven't seen any Hybrid RV's as yet.
Those that can will keep on traveling.

98KSCA, 99MACA, 03 KSCA-3740- 8.1 Chev-- ALLISON Trans, now in good hands
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2011, 05:14 PM   #30
American Coach Owners Club
No, owning an RV is NOT insanity. Especially if one does a 'head job' on oneself like I have.

I justify/rationalize our lifestyle fix as follows:

We bought a 1300 sq.ft. manufactured home in a very nice little neighborhood so we could 'board' it up and travel. (I love the smell of plywood) We pay approximately $120.00 a year in taxes - that right there will buy a LOT of gas with the savings from real property taxes.

We don't smoke (used to). Just my habit alone adjusted to today's prices, there's - 1 and 1/2 tanks of fuel a month right there!

I don't have to drive back and forth to work and save all the associated costs one has when one works for a living. Another GOOD tank full.

I don't have another girlfriend (wife does double duty in that respect) to maintain and that right there will save a fellow a couple round trips to Alaska and more! (we covered that little contract extensively before we got married...it's a pretty 'tight' one).

We have to eat no matter where we are, so I guess this is a 'break even' point. We eat just as well on the road, maybe better, which could explain why I gained 15 lbs. on a 10K mile, 5 month road trip. With ALL those veggies, who knew?

No more little shoes to buy, stitches to be sewn at the emergency room, college educations...man, if RV's could fly, we could all go to the Moon and back on that one!

At any rate, you get the idea. We are not financially well off by any stretch of the imagination(though luckier than some) but will continue to judge our wealth by our ability to keep discovering the flora and fora of this great country of ours has to offer...and probably will stay with it for as long as we are able - no matter how ridiculous the 'head games' become. Bob

Jan and Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:50 PM   #31
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
boat: a wood or fiberglass hole in the water into which you throw all your money.

airplane: a wood or aluminum hole in the sky into which you throw all your money.

RV: a fiberglass or aluminum hole on wheels into which you throw all your money.
1999 Winnebago Minnie 29', Ford V10, Close to stock.
W4MBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:34 AM   #32
I have read on this thread some very good opinions on RV'g. They all have solid merits. I can't FT, I have to be able to dig in the dirt in the spring, so I partime. That's my excuse and I am sticking with it. (On older more simple coaches or RV's). You bet, I often yearn for my old 94 Bounder. It was simple, no slides, great upholstery that could take it. It was dependable, it looked good, it had everything. Like most, I had to go "new" a couple of times. I regret that severely, I would probably be 100K wealthier now if I had stayed with the big "B". Digress is bad.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:12 AM   #33
I guess if you fulltime, it is fine, but for us working stiffs that have the MH sitting in the back yard , except for 2 or 3 weeks vacation time with the same number of trips each year it could be considered insane or at least financially irresponsible. However, as long as I can, I will have an RV...
John, Deb; & our dog, Benji, Forever in our hearts.
2014 Coachmen Leprechaun 319DS V-10
2011 Jeep Liberty Jet & 2014 Jeep Wrangler
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:15 AM   #34
Winnebago Owners Club
If you think it is expensive now: Wait till you have 148,000 miles on it.

Charlie Tuit
02 Journey, 148,000 miles
XL-7 toad
Charlie Tuit, 2002 Journey, 32T, XL7 toad
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:59 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by charles tuit View Post
If you think it is expensive now: Wait till you have 148,000 miles on it.

Charlie Tuit
02 Journey, 148,000 miles
XL-7 toad
Charlie, just curious....other than routine maintenance (and I include replacing belts/hoses as maintenance), have you had to do anything else to the engine (water pump, alternator, AC compressor, air compressor...stuff like that?)

Also, how about the genset? Have you had it dropped to replace the belt and hoses or are they still holding up?

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:29 AM   #36
Winnebago Owners Club

The 2 major repairs were new lift and injector pumps (due to low sulfer fuel?) Approx. $3,000. Had a small coolant leak and searching for it replaced water pump/thermastat and finally the headgasket- approx $3500.
Other than that I'm a fanatic about standard maintanance. Belts,hoses,batteries etc. Bought 2 new sets of tires. Fluids etc. I have a propane jenset which does not require much maint.
Now upgrades: (Choice) Solar,inverter/charger,fullbody paint,couch,new awnings,motorized sun shade,MDC shades, flat screen TV's, basement freezer,building a 24X44 garage($45,000) and it goes on forever.
Trips to every state in continental US,Alaska twice, most Canada's Provinces,and Mexico------PRICELESS.

Charlie Tuit
02 Journey,XL-7 toad
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:04 AM   #37
National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you don't full time, owning an RV is just like owning a boat-expensive. For us it's our house. Also, having one sit static for 11 months out of the year will result in a deterioration of many things that will require attention and $$.
2001 National Tradewinds 7370 300 Cat
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Officially fulltiming. The Journey Begins
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:56 PM   #38
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I've never denied my insanity. I prefer to embrace it!
Jay & Peggy Monroe with Dolly
Can't take it with you - don't plan on leaving any behind
2016 Newmar London Aire 4553, Spartan chassis
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:12 PM   #39
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm with Monroe.
Travel well, travel safe,
2006 Tiffin Phaeton - 2011 Cadillac SRX
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:48 PM   #40
Yup RVing in a newer larger diesel pusher is expensive. But if it fits in your budget they are great fun. We are here at Quartzite and the weather is perfect and the site is free. We are among thousands of other RVers, so my thought would be that RVing is not going extinct for a while.

I used to own a sailboat just a bit longer than our motor home. It was WAY more expensive to maintain. Although it sure was cheaper on fuel.
B Bob
Country Coach 42' Affinity
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:13 PM   #41
Newmar Owners Club
I love the insanity, it keeps me sane !!
2011 Newmar MADP 4344, Tow vehicle, 2012 Ford Edge Eco Boost, Roadmaster All-Terrain Tow Bar and base plates..Member of FMCA,Newmar Kountry Club, Good Sams , KOA,RV.Net, and IRV2.
dav-cle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:57 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry Gary, I'm with the others, too. As far as the economic doom and gloom, our leading mutual fund this past year (a very good year for mutual funds btw) was a "leisure fund" with a gain of 62%, nothing to sneeze at, wish I'd moved more there months ago.

We did the lake house thing, 3 hour drive with kids 4, 10, and 12 fighting in the car for 3 hours, only to get there and spend most of 2 days doing maintenance.

At least with the RV, I can do the maintenance before leaving on a trip, and the kids (who are much older now) don't fight cause they have room to roam and things to do in the coach.

JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote