Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2010, 07:10 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Motorhome ownership; insanity?

Today was one of those days when I asked myself what was I thinking when I bought a motorhome? We do enjoy it but there are times when one would think only an idiot would spend so much money on a hobby.

I had the rig painted this year (that was my choice, for sure) and it looks great. That was $13K when all was said and done. This week one of my 4 yr old house batteries died so I replaced all three of them. Today, as I was checking everything prior to a 3 week trip, both of my cranking batteries check 'weak' on my load tester. So, two new 31D's tommorrow. On our trip, we will be stopping at the Winnebago factory for replacement of the nylon slide bushings on the big slide $$$$$$$$. Later in the trip, we will stop at the FL service center in Gaffney, SC for tranny service and a few other things. I've had boats and thought they were an expensive hobby but a motorhome certainly takes the top slot on that.

So, I've decided that owning a motorhome is a rare form of insanity for which there is no real cure .
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2010, 07:18 PM   #2

Ditto...Been there, done that, had that happen. So insane we are looking to buy our third and final MH. Its the only form of insanity I can live with. Have a great problem free trip.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:26 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
It's insanity either way you look at it. Think about having a second or retirement home. Even if it's on a beautiful lake (which we've done. Other than the roi it's a bad idea). While you may not spend as much keeping it up as a MH, you're stuck, limited, bored, or otherwise having to live with the same scenery every day. At our age, that's insane. Keep traveling.

Dave
Old 09-19-2010, 07:29 PM   #4

If it will help any, I happen to feel the same way anymore. Mine is in storage and will stay there for rest of the season. I only have 7000 miles on it, and it is like new. If you do the math, this is one very expensive hobby and not getting any cheaper. I have been at it for 45 years and thinking seriously of calling it quits. I will say I have not had a major catastrophic failure in all that time. I did have to have a new body put on a 2001 Itasca, but it did not cost me anything but time and fuel. Its been fun but it has been expensive. I think the greatest attribute is sleeping in your own bed and if you don't like your surroundings you fire it up and move.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:33 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I'm with you. My wife and I certainly love the RV lifestyle, but sometimes I question is it really worth it. Of course that quickly change as soon as we take our next trip.

About a month ago we took a trip, only about an hour away. When I was packing up and getting ready to make the trip home I noticed that the front suspension didn't come up. Blown air bag. We left the MH and drove the Jeep home and got a local motorcoach repair shop to replace the air bag. $850.00

A week after that I was working on the indash radio/cd player and blew a fuse. It took me 4 days to find the fuse. I checked all the banks of fuses and couldn't find it and then I was just looking around the battery compartment and low and behold there was a single fuse holder mounted to the wall of the compartment and that was it. Who would have thought that the fuse would be 35' away in the battery compartment? Probably spent about 10 - 12 hours tracing wiring and checking fuses. Cost $0, but several grey hairs.

This weekend I spent dry camping using the generator on automatic generator start to charge the batteries when they got low. During the weekend I also used the inverter to run TV's, etc. Now I have another project because the inverter/charger control panel shows a electrical backfeed fault. I have disconnect the inverter to reset and the fault keeps coming back. The manual doesn't provide any info this fault, so I guess I am calling Magnum Energy tomorrow.

It seems like a never ending money and time pit. I do have to admit that I still love the hobby.
RRTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:34 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The vintage silver trailers can get to be addictive as well.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:53 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
All I can say is I'm grateful we've got the $ & health to afford this "hobby"

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:28 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Absolutely the best depreciating asset I have ever purchased. 1000's times more fun than my mutual funds

Could have a boat. Break Out Another Thousand.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:33 PM   #9

I started out with a 45' sailboat. By FAR that was the most insanely expensive. Then about 6 years ago I bought a vintage GMC motor home. The was so unreliable and beautiful it was a joke. So I have to say the Country Coach we have had for the last 10 months seems pretty good. I have had to fix a bunch of things so far, but nothing like the boat or GMC.

Bottom line. If you use your motor home frequently the cost is not so bad. If you use them infrequently renting is a better way to go.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:28 AM   #10

Unfortunately I woke up to the above and sold my MH this month. Took me two years to convince myself it was for the best. Right now I am suffering withdrawal.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:35 AM   #11

There is something to be said for the older MH's. No inverter, no fancy electronics, no confusing and troublesome power management systems, no complex engine/trans, no non-essential gadgets and widgets. Most of these items are not necessary and merely 'fluff' for selling points amongst the competitors. Less things to break down and/or go wrong. Save your sanity! Stick with an older non-EPA, mechanically and electronically simpler coach.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:51 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
I started out with a 45' sailboat. By FAR that was the most insanely expensive. Then about 6 years ago I bought a vintage GMC motor home. The was so unreliable and beautiful it was a joke. So I have to say the Country Coach we have had for the last 10 months seems pretty good. I have had to fix a bunch of things so far, but nothing like the boat or GMC.

Bottom line. If you use your motor home frequently the cost is not so bad. If you use them infrequently renting is a better way to go.
Agreed....we've had 3 boats in our life and the MH is nothing in comparision to them. Think about this. Our last boat was a 32' Wellcraft with twin 454 engines. At cruise speed it burned 30 gallons an HOUR.

Makes me feel VERY gracious about the mileage we get in our MH.
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:55 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
costly? it may be, but a three letter word out beats a four letter word, ----FUN,
and we know that a seven letter word really out beats a 4 letter word,-----freinds
But nothing can out beat the cost of spending money then owning a, ------RV
love it or leave it, as I see it , we are all here lovin it,-----Buddies
( got a dime to spare?)
Old 09-20-2010, 07:11 AM   #14

Talk about insane

I have BOTH a 38' DP and a 36' Diesel Trawler. Both are OLD and both need things every week. But, don't know if I can give up either. Love them both. It is nice that at cruise my trawler only uses 1.5 GPH but, it only goes 9 knots. For every hour you go in the MH, it takes a day to get there in the boat. Lifestyle is similar, just slower in the boat.

Dan DeBruin
Hokey Pokey
1978 Heritage West Trawler
Nellie
1998 Newmar Dutchstar
Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote