Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2014, 08:11 AM   #197

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
It's against the law in my state to license and register it in another state to avoid taxes if it is not your main residence. I would think there would be similar rules in other states?
Just going through this exercise. I live presently in NC bought the coach in NC and paid the sales tax in NC which is 3% or a max of $1,500. So $1,500 later I get my plates in the mail and the personal property tax bill is $890 which must be paid in 90 days to get the proper sticker for the plate to be valid. Also that will be the charge for the new plates every year here after.

So I have contacted St. Brendan's Isle in Green Cove Springs FL

Mail Forwarding Services at St Brendan's Isle

Fl rules are simple. Tax will be 7% of the purchase price but if you have paid taxes in another state you pay the difference or wait 6 months from the purchase date and then just pay to reg. the coach which is almost nothing and get a FL plate. So in my case the $890 for the NC PT will be less than the difference between the $1500 I paid and the tax in FL of 7%. But in the future there will be no PT of $800+ a year. You can become a FL resident buy filing out the paper work to get a FL mailing address in which this company takes care of all of your mail for you and posts it on line daily for you to look at and decide what you want to do with it. This service is less that $20 a month and solves another problem of traveling all over the country. When you fill out the forms for the mail service you list you coach make model and year and plate as your residence. You change your mailing address to the Green Cove Springs address and you are now a FL resident. I'm going to FL anyway next month so I will reg both cars there as well as the MH and go to the DMV and get my FL drivers licence.

No more NC PT for the MH and the cars, no more NC income tax. Checked this all out with my CPA and he says that it is all up and up. Your residence is where you say it is and all you have to have is a bank send your checking account statement to that address and a drivers licence with that address it is your legal residence. Of course you can have only one legal residence but you may own as many properties in other states as you wish. You will pay the property tax on any real estate you own but it does not have to be your legal residence.

So FL is nice to old people and they welcome some money from you even if you don't live there on a regular basis.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2014, 10:09 AM   #198

Your CPA has over-simplified residency requirements or you only heard what you want to hear. What's not clear from your post is where you live. You say you are going to FL next mo., but is that to visit or is your intent to be a full-time FL resident? If you establish FL residency and intend to live there in your MH, a stick and stone rental or buy real estate, then you might be a FL resident. Register to vote there, pay appropriate taxes there, driver's license, etc., then you probably are a FL resident. But if you still reside in NC and the RV is garaged at or near where you reside and you spend more time there than not, you're probably still a NC resident. CPAs are not lawyers, nor are they State employees who's job it is to collect taxes from residents.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:24 AM   #199

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ohio has
NO sales tax on vehicles (once paid in another state)
NO personel property tax,
RV plates are $49.95

Just thought you might want to know
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:35 AM   #200

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
Ohio has
NO sales tax on vehicles (once paid in another state)
NO personel property tax,
RV plates are $49.95

Just thought you might want to know
You forgot one more thing.......SNOW
Old 12-21-2014, 12:41 PM   #201

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Chianese View Post
Just going through this exercise. I live presently in NC bought the coach in NC and paid the sales tax in NC which is 3% or a max of $1,500. So $1,500 later I get my plates in the mail and the personal property tax bill is $890 which must be paid in 90 days to get the proper sticker for the plate to be valid. Also that will be the charge for the new plates every year here after.

So I have contacted St. Brendan's Isle in Green Cove Springs FL

Mail Forwarding Services at St Brendan's Isle

Fl rules are simple. Tax will be 7% of the purchase price but if you have paid taxes in another state you pay the difference or wait 6 months from the purchase date and then just pay to reg. the coach which is almost nothing and get a FL plate. So in my case the $890 for the NC PT will be less than the difference between the $1500 I paid and the tax in FL of 7%. But in the future there will be no PT of $800+ a year. You can become a FL resident buy filing out the paper work to get a FL mailing address in which this company takes care of all of your mail for you and posts it on line daily for you to look at and decide what you want to do with it. This service is less that $20 a month and solves another problem of traveling all over the country. When you fill out the forms for the mail service you list you coach make model and year and plate as your residence. You change your mailing address to the Green Cove Springs address and you are now a FL resident. I'm going to FL anyway next month so I will reg both cars there as well as the MH and go to the DMV and get my FL drivers licence.

No more NC PT for the MH and the cars, no more NC income tax. Checked this all out with my CPA and he says that it is all up and up. Your residence is where you say it is and all you have to have is a bank send your checking account statement to that address and a drivers licence with that address it is your legal residence. Of course you can have only one legal residence but you may own as many properties in other states as you wish. You will pay the property tax on any real estate you own but it does not have to be your legal residence.

So FL is nice to old people and they welcome some money from you even if you don't live there on a regular basis.
May also want to check with the state to see what they classify as a resident. Different states have different rules and if they think you should be classed as a resident for taxing purposes, you have to fight to prove you are not.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 01:22 PM   #202

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Everyone is talking PPT, licensing and so forth. I think it is true some are only hearing what they want to hear. Residency is usually where you spend most of your time and pay your taxes from. Full timers I'm not sure. I would certainly get the truth whole truth and nothing but the truth from someone. Then decide for yourself if it is worth the risk of lying.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:24 PM   #203

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
PA has zero...
PPAinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:33 AM   #204

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Everyone is talking PPT, licensing and so forth. I think it is true some are only hearing what they want to hear. Residency is usually where you spend most of your time and pay your taxes from. Full timers I'm not sure. I would certainly get the truth whole truth and nothing but the truth from someone. Then decide for yourself if it is worth the risk of lying.
My home the only property I own in NC is for sale. Once it is gone and I register the MH and cars in FL, then were is my residency? We will be full time RVer's. So if an RV is moving every day, week or month and you only own the RV and a car that are registered in state X, you get your mail in state X and you vote in state X you are a resident of state X no matter where the RV is at any one time.

I have lived and claimed residency in OH from birth until 1970 in six different houses, then I moved to FL, was a resident there in one apartment then three different houses, then off to TX in 1979 where I lived in one house for 17 years, with a friend for six months and then an apartment for 2 years, of which the last four years in TX I also owed a house in OH where I didn't live but paid all of the taxes and utilities. Then in 1999 I moved back to OH into the house that I owned since 1995 and lived there until 2001 when I sold that house and I moved to NC in two different homes until present. So what's the point you may ask. Well in all of the moving and living in different places and even having a PO BOX in TX for four years, due to being out of town on business so much, I have never once been asked by any state to prove my residency. The address on my Federal Income Tax return has always been considered my residency. As long as you are paying some state something in the way of fees or taxes and have not tried to drop off the face of the earth in order to not pay anything I don't think there will be a problem.

I'm not sure what there is to lie about.

And yes CPAs are not lawyers but you can ask ten different lawyers the same question and you will get fourteen or fifteen different answers. If you don't think that is true go to the court house and watch the truth get twisted like a wash rag. Besides at the end of the day it is all what the man or women in the black robe thinks you understood or did and not what the law is.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:07 AM   #205

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
How about Missouri? What is their per property rate?
cmlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:16 AM   #206

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPAinPA View Post
PA has zero...
SNOW, ICE!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:01 PM   #207

Any Tennesseans in here? What that State's story, do they also have a PPT there?

I'm considering retiring down that way and quite frankly, I'm new to this PPT thing, NJ doesn't have that....PLEASE don't tell them either, we're getting raped enough here as is.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:39 PM   #208

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmlintx View Post
How about Missouri? What is their per property rate?

PPT rates in MO. are taxed by the county you live in. That being said mine is calculated as follows.

"The percent of value for personal property is 33.33% if you divide the assessed by 33% it will return the market value. The tax rate is an assembly of the various taxing districts, i,e school, city ,fire, etc." (this is a quote from the COR office)

On my annual declaration form it clearly states that by signing this you have agreed that you have not moved any personal property out of the state to avoid the tax. So that is what I mean in my state when I say the chance you take by lying. I believe I was told by someone in that office some years ago that you would be charged the back taxes and be fined also. I too would like to find the loop hole in my state of MO.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:47 PM   #209

In Alaska my 2000 Holiday Rambler costs $100 for 2 years license fees. Now the borough that I live in passed an ordinance that any vehicles over 8 years old can pay an additional one time fee of $25 and get permanent license plates and never pay anything on them again. I paid no sales tax or personal property tax ever on this coach. I guess our politicians realize that we'd rather spend our money ourselves than have them do it for us.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:28 AM   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Chianese View Post
My home the only property I own in NC is for sale. Once it is gone and I register the MH and cars in FL, then were is my residency? We will be full time RVer's. So if an RV is moving every day, week or month and you only own the RV and a car that are registered in state X, you get your mail in state X and you vote in state X you are a resident of state X no matter where the RV is at any one time.

I have lived and claimed residency in OH from birth until 1970 in six different houses, then I moved to FL, was a resident there in one apartment then three different houses, then off to TX in 1979 where I lived in one house for 17 years, with a friend for six months and then an apartment for 2 years, of which the last four years in TX I also owed a house in OH where I didn't live but paid all of the taxes and utilities. Then in 1999 I moved back to OH into the house that I owned since 1995 and lived there until 2001 when I sold that house and I moved to NC in two different homes until present. So what's the point you may ask. Well in all of the moving and living in different places and even having a PO BOX in TX for four years, due to being out of town on business so much, I have never once been asked by any state to prove my residency. The address on my Federal Income Tax return has always been considered my residency. As long as you are paying some state something in the way of fees or taxes and have not tried to drop off the face of the earth in order to not pay anything I don't think there will be a problem.

I'm not sure what there is to lie about.

And yes CPAs are not lawyers but you can ask ten different lawyers the same question and you will get fourteen or fifteen different answers. If you don't think that is true go to the court house and watch the truth get twisted like a wash rag. Besides at the end of the day it is all what the man or women in the black robe thinks you understood or did and not what the law is.
Vinny, residency issues are very complex and your income or situation may be such that you have not drawn any inquiries, but that is not the case universally. In our situation with a client with residency issues, he did file a NYS non-resident return so he was paying the State. However, as is the case with many states, they want more. They want to tax all of his income including his business in Florida. There was a case that went to the US Supreme Court regarding residency and in that case the guy did file a non-resident return and he lost his case on the level of the highest court in the country so it is a serious issue.

Tags
motorhome