Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2014, 06:39 AM   #211

Newmar Owners Club
How do they determine value?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
PPT rates in MO. are taxed by the county you live in. That being said mine is calculated as follows.

"The percent of value for personal property is 33.33% if you divide the assessed by 33% it will return the market value. The tax rate is an assembly of the various taxing districts, i,e school, city ,fire, etc." (this is a quote from the COR office)

On my annual declaration form it clearly states that by signing this you have agreed that you have not moved any personal property out of the state to avoid the tax. So that is what I mean in my state when I say the chance you take by lying. I believe I was told by someone in that office some years ago that you would be charged the back taxes and be fined also. I too would like to find the loop hole in my state of MO.
How is 'value' determined in MO?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2014, 06:40 AM   #212

Newmar Owners Club

Old 12-24-2014, 08:39 AM   #213

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Vinny, residency issues are very complex and your income or situation may be such that you have not drawn any inquiries, but that is not the case universally. In our situation with a client with residency issues, he did file a NYS non-resident return so he was paying the State. However, as is the case with many states, they want more. They want to tax all of his income including his business in Florida. There was a case that went to the US Supreme Court regarding residency and in that case the guy did file a non-resident return and he lost his case on the level of the highest court in the country so it is a serious issue.
Thanks for your comments. I believe you may have hit on a good point. That being, the amounts of income one is talking about may become a factor. My case will not involve large amounts of income as your example may have had from a FL business. Besides I will be cutting all ties with NC so will not be filing anything here at all.

Thanks again.

Hope everyone has a great holiday. Even the tax collectors
2018 DS DP 4369 #607121 Cummins ISL9 450 HP
"We are from, where ever we were yesterday"
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 10:13 AM   #214

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmlintx View Post

I'm sorry I left that out. My understanding from the assessors office is they use NADA and similar publications to get value.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:28 PM   #215

Newmar Owners Club
Michigan is NOT motor home friendly. Registration (plate) is .5% (.005) of ORIGINAL MSRP. It goes down to .4% after 3 years and holds there forever. There are no PPT here. Yet.

Michigan roads are the worst in the nation and they siphoned our gas tax (to fix the roads) to schools. There is a bill going to the voters in the May General Election to raise our Sales Tax 1%. Going from 6% to 7%. This will give the state $1B for roads. What is buried in the bill is the increasing of vehicle registration. I was told about 28%. Time to move!!

I do have my name on the deed to my mother house in Dallas. I am considering registering the MH and Toad in TX using the Dallas address. Thoughts?
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 02:07 PM   #216
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post

I do have my name on the deed to my mother house in Dallas. I am considering registering the MH and Toad in TX using the Dallas address. Thoughts?
I believe that Texas requires you to register ALL of your motor vehicles with them and won't allow mixing and matching. They make a point of telling you this is under penalty of purgery.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 02:47 PM   #217

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I believe that Texas requires you to register ALL of your motor vehicles with them and won't allow mixing and matching. They make a point of telling you this is under penalty of purgery.

Rick

My point from a earlier post about lying. Every state is different as we are seeing. Read the fine print and you might find something stating that by signing you are not trying to avoid taxes by moving or relocating.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:52 PM   #218

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:

Rick
My other car is a corporate lease out of Michigan. Something American Rd Dearborn MI. I'll ask TX DMV.
Old 12-24-2014, 04:36 PM   #219

Quote:
I believe that Texas requires you to register ALL of your motor vehicles with them and won't allow mixing and matching.
I don't think so because that would create an obvious Catch 22. For example I am a Texas resident (and have a Texas DL) and also have a vacation home in NC. The vehicles that are garaged in Texas are registered in Texas and the vehicle that is garaged in NC is registered in NC (as required by both NC and my insurance company.) Almost all states require a vehicle primarily garaged in that state to be registered in that state. If Texas required that all vehicles I own be registered in Texas then that would require me to violate NC law (as well as the requirements of my and just about every insurance company, as they all require that a vehicle be registered in the state in which they are primarily garaged.)
Old 12-24-2014, 05:07 PM   #220

FWIW I recall a conversation I heard on the radio with the NYS Comptroller. The issue was raising taxes on all the rich folks in NYC. His comment was something like people like that have people that make sure they are in state less than 179 days/yr so the are not considered residents.

I would assume full timers who move to places like FL or TX winter there and spend enough time out of their home state to avoid that trap. OTOH if there is much money involved I would assume states pay attention. They have the ability to see things like credit card receipts so simply buying fuel with a credit card can trigger their attention. Computer searches and an attitude of guilty unless proven innocent go a long way towards closing state budget gaps. That would indicate some discretion is advised. YMMV.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:16 PM   #221
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
I don't think so because that would create an obvious Catch 22. For example I am a Texas resident (and have a Texas DL) and also have a vacation home in NC. The vehicles that are garaged in Texas are registered in Texas and the vehicle that is garaged in NC is registered in NC (as required by both NC and my insurance company.) Almost all states require a vehicle primarily garaged in that state to be registered in that state. If Texas required that all vehicles I own be registered in Texas then that would require me to violate NC law (as well as the requirements of my and just about every insurance company, as they all require that a vehicle be registered in the state in which they are primarily garaged.)
I suspect you're right. Probably just another senior moment, but I'm almost certain we came upon this requirement in 2010 when "becoming Texans". However, I just searched for it and can't find a thing. Your point about the Catch 22 is a good one.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:40 PM   #222
GKW

While I am a resident of Oregon, and have no sales tax, personal property tax, and a $350.00 two year registration and no special license requirements for a RV, the personal property tax and expensive licensing fees fortunately don't apply to my situation. Many of my out of state RV friends have their RV licensed under a Montana Corporation, and have done this with no problem for years.
I wouldn't suggest calling your local tax collector and asking if that is legal, which would undoubtedly allow them to put their spin on the situation. If anyone has heard of a problem with this a lot of people would like to know.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:34 AM   #223

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
My point from a earlier post about lying. Every state is different as we are seeing. Read the fine print and you might find something stating that by signing you are not trying to avoid taxes by moving or relocating.
I have never asked permission to move to or from a state in my life. I do not intend on doing so now. I live where I want and abide by the laws where I live. So to not be required to abide by the laws of NC I will remove myself from their state and thus not be required to abide by their laws. How long would someone have to live some place else to be exempt from the previous states taxes?

Besides who would one ask? Is NC going to say "well yes go ahead move to TX or FL and not pay us taxes even though you don't live here". Really! When they start to collect the taxes on the 130' yachts that are tied up in Beaufort I'll give in. Talk about avoiding taxes. This boat is registered off shore, leaves in December and returns in March or earlier. The owner owns several car dealerships in NC so yes he is a resident of the state. No question to that. This is only one of at least four large yachts that are owed buy car dealers that live here and do the same thing to avoid the PT here. The state has plenty of folks to chase down for real money they don't need to chase me for a couple of hundred dollars.

I'll take my chances. I figure that even if by some chance I'm wrong it will take them 12- 15 years to get it to the Supreme Court. Won't be my problem at that point.
2018 DS DP 4369 #607121 Cummins ISL9 450 HP
"We are from, where ever we were yesterday"
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 07:45 AM   #224

Newmar Owners Club
MO PP Tax

Quote:
I'm sorry I left that out. My understanding from the assessors office is they use NADA and similar publications to get value.

Thank You......and Merry Christmas!!

Tags
motorhome