Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2013, 09:28 PM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldviper View Post
Howdy,
We paid $19K in Arizona for taxes on our new RV. The Reg and Plates are over $4500 per year. We are retiring in June and taking up Residence in South Dakota, it will be $500/yr for Reg and Plates.
Just sayin! Les

You can use that extra $4,000 to go snow bird in AZ. LOL

1999 Winnebago Adventurer, Sam, Judy, Grand Daughter - Kenzie, 3 spoiled Pomeranians, Bella, Tinker and Aurora - 1 spoiled JR terrier, Mayzee - 1996 Ford Explorer, Sport 2 Door, 4 wheel drive, pulls 4 down like a dream.
Sam Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2013, 09:33 PM   #44

Fleetwood Owners Club
Here in Alabama no personal property tax on rv per year. Paid sales tax of about 3% on sale price and tag is based on 20,000 lbs which was $136.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by HambonesBBQ View Post
I live in York County, VA. York County has a personal property tax rate of $4/$100 value or 4%. So keeping my current RV in the county I reside in costs me about $430/month. However, I drive it 13 miles into the city of Hampton, VA to store it and the tax rate is $0.000001/$100 value or just about FREE. I decided to store the RV in Hampton.

This made me curious about what tax rates are being paid in different areas. What location and tax rate do you have?
Wow, this has made me consider another MH cost as we look into purchasing a new MH. Will have to check into NH MH taxes ( our prop taxes are high enough!). But a "personal property" tax only on a MH? What about other personal property someone owns -like tools, appliances, books, computers? Thank you for the eye opening discussion!
Mae
Old 05-06-2013, 08:30 PM   #46

As mentioned on several reply's Florida has no Annual personal preperty tax on MH nor no state tax on income. Personally I would never live in ANY county or State that charged those fees.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
I live in Georgia and we pay a yearly Ad-Velorum tax on all vehicles plus the cost of the tag. In the twelve years I paid about $10,000 in takes for the honor to tag my motorhome in Georgia plus all my other vehicles. When I bought my new to me Monico I decided to tag in Florida but due to the stupidity of the dealer in Florida I ended up tagging the first year in Georgia. I have a condo in Daytona and an RV lot in River Ranch Florida so I thought I could use the condo address to tag my motorhome. When I went to the DMV in Florida I found out all I needed was proof of insurance that was accepted by Florida and I did (Gilbert Insurance). You do not have give an address other than your home state address to tag a motorhome in Florida they consider your motorhome your home in Florida. It cost me $400.00 to register my motorhome and tag my motorhome the first year much better than the $1200.00 it was going to cost me in Georgia. The tag will be about $60.00 here after and they use my Georgia address to mail me the tags. I also registered my new Harley in Florida for another large savings. For all of you that winter in the greatest state of Florida I would suggest you do the same if you are paying high taxes in your home state. The DMV in Lake Wales was very nice and made the transfer so easy. I'm a happy camper.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:11 PM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
The 10 Best States for Retirement - ABC News
We are staying in TN, just looking into downsizing the house and yard soon.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've not heard anyone talking about Ohio. Sorry if I missed it. Low insurance rates, the only yearly government cost is about $50 for plates, that's it! Its really hard to beat.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:06 PM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Here in Alabama no personal property tax on rv per year.
Alabama has stopped charging Ad Valorem tax on motor vehicles ??? It was pretty significant when I lived there a few years ago ...and was a significant reason I did not keep residency there during the last years of my military service.

Quote:
But a "personal property" tax only on a MH?
No, it is not just on RVs. It is paid on any motor vehicle. Due to the cost of an rv, that can be a pretty significant number on newer rv's.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:24 AM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
I've not heard anyone talking about Ohio. Sorry if I missed it. Low insurance rates, the only yearly government cost is about $50 for plates, that's it! Its really hard to beat.
Yes I live in Ohio also and the sales tax is 5% to the state, plus 1% to 2.75% additional to the county, depending on what county you reside in. This tax is one time at purchase. The highest county rates are the metro counties that have the cities (Cleveland Columbus Cincinnati Dayton). After that the plates cost about $50 per year No personal property tax except for businesses.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
No personal property tax here in Louisiana. We're in the top 10 states for retirement too.

bonzocfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Alaska

$150/2 yr registration, no PPT, no sales tax in Anchorage...Oh, yeah...no state income tax...

DC...03 Monaco Sig, 03 Winnie Adventurer, 98 Gulfstream Ultra
Old 05-07-2013, 11:24 AM   #54

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingman View Post
$430 a month ? Did you mean a year ?
Nope. I believe you read that right. Used to live in Roanoke County, Virginia where personal property tax on the motorhome would have been about $3500 per year... and it's not a high dollar rig. Before nightfall, the motorhome was out of the county and out of the Commonwealth of Virginia... headed for our new domicile in South Dakota. There were other reasons for moving to South Dakota, mind you, but keeping $3500 in my pocket instead of giving it to the government is always a good thing.

PS: For whose who think I should have paid my "fair share" for using roads in Virginia, I won't be using ANYTHING in Virginia. They choose to tax heavily, I choose to not return.
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:38 AM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I guess I'm making out like a bandit then, living in Oregon. There is no sales tax and no Property tax but they do get you on the registration, they charge by the foot unless you are like me and a Disabled Veteran and put your Disabled Plates on your MH and then you don't ever have to register them again and pay nothing but the tag transfer fee Oh yeah if you have a gasser then you have to get it DEQ'd(smog checked) I think I will always keep an address here.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
PS: For whose who think I should have paid my "fair share" for using roads in Virginia, I won't be using ANYTHING in Virginia. They choose to tax heavily, I choose to not return.

I'm with you, Blang...the only reason I go back to California now & then, is to visit my relatives and remind myself of why I got the heck out of there!

Tags
motorhome