Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2013, 07:48 PM   #71

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
Hi Mike,

I believe that's all correct. However, that only works for a motor vehicle with a GVWR of greater than 10,000 pounds. You're not going to be able to live in Fairfax and "garage" your Lamborghini in Prince William to avoid the personal property tax.

Also, Governor Gilmore's car tax relief only applies to cars...not a motorhome.

Take care,
Stu
Hi Stu, take a look at: " § 58.1-3511. Situs for assessment; nonresident exception; refund of tax paid to city or county; apportioned assessment " in the Virginia Legislative information system. I believe the 10,000 pound or under rule applies to vehicles garaged out of the Commonwealth, while the owner has it registered in the Commonwealth
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2013, 08:07 PM   #72

Used to live in Fairfax County and paid personal property tax through the nose (and other orifices) for many years. If your residential area (Homeowners Association, etc) prohibits parking or storing RV's...then you cannot "garage" it on your property. You may garage it at a storage facility in Prince William (PW) County...sign a lease for storage and pay in full and ahead of schedule. Then you can garage it in PW county and your personal property tax will be around $25 annually.
pavepaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #73

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkng88 View Post
I live in Georgia and we pay a yearly Ad-Velorum tax on all vehicles plus the cost of the tag. In the twelve years I paid about $10,000 in takes for the honor to tag my motorhome in Georgia plus all my other vehicles. When I bought my new to me Monico I decided to tag in Florida but due to the stupidity of the dealer in Florida I ended up tagging the first year in Georgia. I have a condo in Daytona and an RV lot in River Ranch Florida so I thought I could use the condo address to tag my motorhome. When I went to the DMV in Florida I found out all I needed was proof of insurance that was accepted by Florida and I did (Gilbert Insurance). You do not have give an address other than your home state address to tag a motorhome in Florida they consider your motorhome your home in Florida. It cost me $400.00 to register my motorhome and tag my motorhome the first year much better than the $1200.00 it was going to cost me in Georgia. The tag will be about $60.00 here after and they use my Georgia address to mail me the tags. I also registered my new Harley in Florida for another large savings. For all of you that winter in the greatest state of Florida I would suggest you do the same if you are paying high taxes in your home state. The DMV in Lake Wales was very nice and made the transfer so easy. I'm a happy camper.
All I have to do is show up at a DMV in Florida with my proof of insurance and I can register there?

Our ppt in costs something like 1.5% of book value of the vehicle per year. On the mh, that's about $600 per year. To top it off we have 'safety' inspections as well. And I live on the nc/sc border so we actually store it in South Carolina. Our mh sees about 60miles of NC roads per year - mostly driving for inspection and between our house and storage which are 1.5 miles apart.

Not having to screw around with ridiculous safety inspections would be worth it.
lemosley01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:32 PM   #74

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Does merely parking your coach in another county legally exempt you from the personal property taxes in your county?

Rick
It does in VA. PP tax is assessed by the locality where the vehicle is stored.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #75

Monaco Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemosley01 View Post
All I have to do is show up at a DMV in Florida with my proof of insurance and I can register there?

Our ppt in costs something like 1.5% of book value of the vehicle per year. On the mh, that's about $600 per year. To top it off we have 'safety' inspections as well. And I live on the nc/sc border so we actually store it in South Carolina. Our mh sees about 60miles of NC roads per year - mostly driving for inspection and between our house and storage which are 1.5 miles apart.

Not having to screw around with ridiculous safety inspections would be worth it.
yes i live in Ga and registered in Florida
rdkng88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:19 AM   #76

zip, 0 nothing in new York but sales tax sucks
rstarny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:44 PM   #77

I just saw an article in the current FMCA Magazine saying that CT statutes allow collection of property tax on RVs that are parked in CT RV parks for 3 months...no matter where it is registered.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:30 PM   #78

Winnebago Owners Club
I also live in southside VA Pittsylvania County and we pay $3 per 100. So I pay $1, 800 for 2008 c class valued@$60, 000. So no new A class any time soon for me. Our sales tax on vehicles increases to 4% July 1st. Then we have safty inspections inspection sticker.
Mrfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:42 PM   #79

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just got our Property Tax bill for our '05 National RV today, from the town of Southbury, CT. Gross Assessment $28,600 with a Mill Rate of 26.4000. The bill came today June 29th and is due July 1st (late after Aug 1st) for a total of $755.04.

I have to check our records from last year, but I am pretty sure I am paying more this year as our Mill Rate increased from 21.2 last year to 26.4 this year! This is the highest Mill Rate in at least the last 8 years.

It's gettin' to that time where I am rethinking our "country" life on 8+ acres, and if it's really worth the expense.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #80

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Labs View Post
I just got our Property Tax bill for our '05 National RV today, from the town of Southbury, CT. Gross Assessment $28,600 with a Mill Rate of 26.4000. The bill came today June 29th and is due July 1st (late after Aug 1st) for a total of $755.04.

I have to check our records from last year, but I am pretty sure I am paying more this year as our Mill Rate increased from 21.2 last year to 26.4 this year! This is the highest Mill Rate in at least the last 8 years.

It's gettin' to that time where I am rethinking our "country" life on 8+ acres, and if it's really worth the expense.
No Offense intended, but I think I'd be rethinking which state I lived in...!
Old 06-30-2013, 11:52 AM   #81

Freightliner Owners Club
Here in AZ we pay $670.00 for our tag for plates come this Monday,but any other taxes were paid at purchase of 04 MH. They love charging for that 1" by 1" tag. But we love the freedom of our Diesel pusher so we don't mind it.
IRV2-Supporter
Sutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:06 PM   #82

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post

No Offense intended, but I think I'd be rethinking which state I lived in...!
No kidding!

Pay like $135 to register my MH for year no personal property tax. If I had to pay I'd move, end of story, [moderator edit] that.
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #83

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks to the people who posted about Virginia, you know I really didn't know the tax rate on my mh 1997 bounder , guess it was so low I didn't care

But **** we just about signed check for new 200,000 plus one last week

We live in Suffolk so I guess I should check out tax to tell wife
gmasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #84

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elexwiz View Post
In Chesapeake, VA the PP rate is 4.08/hundred on cars/trucks/trailers/motorcycles. They do cut you a break on motorhomes, which are 1.58/hundred. Portsmouth, where my MH is stored is assessed at 1.50/hundred. Norfolk, Virginia Beach, and Suffolk also cut people a break on motorhomes, all having a comparable rate with one another.
Ok tell my wife that the tax rate for a new mh of 150000 is going to be taxed
150x1.5= 225$ yes

Or am I not seeing it... Here in Suffolk live or Portsmouth store it
gmasters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome