Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #85

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmasters View Post

Ok tell my wife that the tax rate for a new mh of 150000 is going to be taxed
150x1.5= 225$ yes

Or am I not seeing it... Here in Suffolk live or Portsmouth store it
@1.5% that would be $2250.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrikin View Post
Those pesky decimal points!

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:22 PM   #87

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrikin View Post

Lol that is funny how I missed that, my wife must be right I am getting old
Old 09-15-2013, 07:29 PM   #88

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ohio is: Sales tax ONCE, then $49.50 per year for plates. That's it, nothing more.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:40 PM   #89

sc property tax

Has anyone just received their property tax bill? We just got ours it was assessed at 10.50 % and the value went up about $40,000 over last year. Last year we were assessed at 6%. Help.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by panga22 View Post
Has anyone just received their property tax bill? We just got ours it was assessed at 10.50 % and the value went up about $40,000 over last year. Last year we were assessed at 6%. Help.
Just paid mine. We transferred tags from our 2003 to a 2011 in August. Still based on 6.5% (10.5% is for vehicles in general), as it is considered our second home. Valuation actually surprised me. But not as much as when we upgraded 8 years ago. Both times I was expecting it to be higher.

Check to confirm it is still listed as a second home (I presume it was before because you indicated 6%). If not, pursue it with the assessor's office. You can also appeal the assessed value by getting a valuation from a dealer (in writing), and going to the assessor.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:40 PM   #91

Monaco Owners Club
Arkansas, PPT on eight (8) vehicles including '05 Mtr hm, less than $250/YR. Five (5) vehicles $12.00 each FOREVER. Antique plates,'75 or older. Other vehicles $28/YR, including mtr hm. BUT WE DON'T NEED ANY NORTHERNERS!!!!!!!!! OH I almost forgot, one time forever for non house trailers.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:51 AM   #92

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I am also in SC but a different county, which makes a difference. My tax went down compared to last year but I did not notice or even know that it could be assessed at a different percentage as a second home vs. vehicle. Now I need to find the bill which was paid weeks ago.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:48 AM   #93

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodfoot View Post
Arkansas, PPT on eight (8) vehicles including '05 Mtr hm, less than $250/YR. Five (5) vehicles $12.00 each FOREVER. Antique plates,'75 or older. Other vehicles $28/YR, including mtr hm. BUT WE DON'T NEED ANY NORTHERNERS!!!!!!!!! OH I almost forgot, one time forever for non house trailers.
Everyone please continue to VACATION in FL, so we can avoid having an income tax, personal property taxes, etc. The mouse is waiting!!!
Old 12-31-2013, 06:54 AM   #94

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
First...VA was terrible...was never so glad to leave a place, and being retired military, I left a lot.

WRT raising your value, I would check out the appeals process. Everyplace I'm aware of has an appeals process. They obviously don't understand a depreciating asset, with home in its name, as opposed to a S&B that increases in value. Did you auto go up in value by 15-20%?
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:31 AM   #95

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlinv View Post
Just paid mine. We transferred tags from our 2003 to a 2011 in August. Still based on 6.5% (10.5% is for vehicles in general), as it is considered our second home. Valuation actually surprised me. But not as much as when we upgraded 8 years ago. Both times I was expecting it to be higher.

Check to confirm it is still listed as a second home (I presume it was before because you indicated 6%). If not, pursue it with the assessor's office. You can also appeal the assessed value by getting a valuation from a dealer (in writing), and going to the assessor.
I too live (and pay taxes) in SC and don't understand how you have the motorhome as a second home for PPT. It is licensed as a motor vehicle and I just checked my PPT receipt which is a vehicle tax receipt very different than my S&B real estate property tax receipt.

Can you point me to some reference that shows SC motorhomes should be taxed as homes and not personal property vehicles?

My tax did go down considerably from last year but the PPT on the MH is still much more than what I pay on my S&B, which cost much more than the MH.
Maybe I should just be glad my real estate property tax is so low!
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:03 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
I too live (and pay taxes) in SC and don't understand how you have the motorhome as a second home for PPT. It is licensed as a motor vehicle and I just checked my PPT receipt which is a vehicle tax receipt very different than my S&B real estate property tax receipt. Can you point me to some reference that shows SC motorhomes should be taxed as homes and not personal property vehicles? My tax did go down considerably from last year but the PPT on the MH is still much more than what I pay on my S&B, which cost much more than the MH. Maybe I should just be glad my real estate property tax is so low!
You have the option to claim it as a second home, as long as you don't already have a second that you claim. It has been several years (2000) since I went through the process, but as I remember it I had to fill out a form at the DMV. For each of my last three coaches I just transferred tags. They seemed to just continue devaluation based on the previous coach (at least on the last two). As long as your RV is fully self contained it qualifies. I'll do a little looking at the DMV website to see if I can find it again.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:11 PM   #97
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlinv View Post
You have the option to claim it as a second home, as long as you don't already have a second that you claim. It has been several years (2000) since I went through the process, but as I remember it I had to fill out a form at the DMV. For each of my last three coaches I just transferred tags. They seemed to just continue devaluation based on the previous coach (at least on the last two). As long as your RV is fully self contained it qualifies. I'll do a little looking at the DMV website to see if I can find it again.
That's amazing. It sounds a lot like the same criteria used to claim the interest paid on a RV loan as deductible interest on the federal tax forms.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:14 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
That's amazing. It sounds a lot like the same criteria used to claim the interest paid on a RV loan as deductible interest on the federal tax forms. Rick
Essentially the same.

Tags
motorhome