Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2014, 08:49 PM   #113

How does the county you live and register the RV in know not to charge you taxes on the RV?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2014, 06:33 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Prince William County is not Fairfax or Loudoun County. They do collect personal property tax...to the point that their representatives continued to harass me to collect thousands, even though I know longer an an address in Virginia (moved) adn was i the process of transferring the title in my new state of residence. Actually given 30 days and threatened, even though the infamous VA electronic titles were the big holdup in the process.

VA in those two northern counties is no place to own a MH. And don't think you can store it in PW county and get out of Fairfax couunty tax, if you're a resident.
Why, I thouht where the rv is garaged is what counts. Correct?

Old 01-13-2014, 06:58 AM   #115

The Vets with a 100% disability rating in Georgia are given one Disabled Veteran plate and pay no property tax and $1 for your plate. They also give you your drivers license that doesn't need to be renewed until age 65
jeepersrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:58 AM   #116
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtermini30 View Post
How does the county you live and register the RV in know not to charge you taxes on the RV?
The way it works in my county is you have to show them a storage contract.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:39 AM   #117

Thanks
Old 01-13-2014, 02:54 PM   #118

WOW, just WOW. I can't believe the taxes are so high on something like that. When did they start that tax?? Has it always been like that??

You should move to a free state or start an RV/Motorcycle rally around city hall. That's just absolutely rediculous to pay that much just for owning something. If no one pushes back during these so-called town meetings, then taxes are just a slippery slope upwards.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:09 PM   #119

Fleetwood Owners Club
Come on now! You have seen all the post relating to states with no income tax or PPT. If you cannot move, personally I would sell my MH. No way am I paying that kind of ripoff! We moved from the outer banks of NC back to FL. For just that reason, personal property taxes!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:20 AM   #120

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I live in Henry County in Va ,just got my tax bill and will pay 700.00 on a 2006 Georgieboy.What a rip off this is.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:44 AM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
Come on now! You have seen all the post relating to states with no income tax or PPT. If you cannot move, personally I would sell my MH. No way am I paying that kind of ripoff! We moved from the outer banks of NC back to FL. For just that reason, personal property taxes!
As was mentioned earlier you have to look at the entire package. Many states do not have a PPT but do have various other fees and charges so the bill is there one way or the other. The 1% PPT I pay in NC doesn't end up being any more than many of the registration/use/weight/etc. 'fees' (but not 'taxes', dont'cha know ) I've paid in other states. Sure, there are some states that are a bargain and if you have an independent desire to live there then that's a nice benefit, but I've never understood why anyone would live anywhere other than where they really want to live to save a few hundred dollars a year. I guess if you live in one of the few truly abusive states then that might be a reasonable consideration, but when you total it all up and exclude the very expensive and very cheap outliers the total bill when you walk out the door often ends up being pretty close in most states in my experience, no matter what names they choose to apply to the fees.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:37 AM   #122

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes, the PPT in NC May be 1%, however on a 300k coach, home, boat, two trailers, truck and car that figure well exceeds the benefits that DW and I could recoup for a one year period! Then add the state income tax!! Fact, in FL. $100.00 yearly for the coach, which is a tag, etc. etc. bottom line we are saving thousands of retirement dollars yearly. You may choose to fund the Raleigh bureaucrats not us!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:47 AM   #123
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
It all depends on the specific state. 24% of Texas' tax collections in 2012 were paid by the oil and gas industry based on in-state production. That, along with a conservative fiscal approach, means that Texas operates with no personal property taxes and no state or city income taxes (forbidden by the Texas Constitution). Yes, our real estate property taxes (which dropped when I turned 65, and not a consideration for a fulltimer who doesn't own real estate) and, to a small extent, our combined state and local sales tax may have been higher than when we lived in Ohio for 22 years, but net-net there are real cost of living advantages for us based on our living here.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:24 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by HambonesBBQ View Post
I live in York County, VA. York County has a personal property tax rate of $4/$100 value or 4%. So keeping my current RV in the county I reside in costs me about $430/month. However, I drive it 13 miles into the city of Hampton, VA to store it and the tax rate is $0.000001/$100 value or just about FREE. I decided to store the RV in Hampton. This made me curious about what tax rates are being paid in different areas. What location and tax rate do you have?
We live in Ontario Canada. We pay 13% sales tax at time of purchase and nothing after that. Plates are $90.00 yearly.
Last year I stored my MH in South Carolina, Horry County (Myrtle Beach) at a campground, in their storage area. Just recently I received a tax bill from Horry County wanting over $100.00 in tax. It doesn't seem to matter where you live (even out of country) it is where you store your unit. This seems rather unfair as the MH is just sitting on property that is already being taxed. I''m still debating whether to pay this or not.
We do not have personal property tax on "toys"
Old 01-24-2014, 05:03 PM   #125

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
What about registering it in another state with a LLC? I know some do that. Any comments? Its probably illegal.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:05 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
No personal property taxes and no state income taxes in Texas.

Rusty
That is one of the reasons we are here in Dickinson. The other are the grandchildren.
oh yes, we moved from money grabbing, bushwhacking Califor nia.

Tags
motorhome