Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2013, 08:14 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Does merely parking your coach in another county legally exempt you from the personal property taxes in your county?

Rick
Yes it does. In Va, the tax is based on where the vehicle is garaged. It's a pretty onerous tax, IMHO, and plays a large role in why I will not buy a brand new motorhome here.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2013, 08:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HambonesBBQ View Post
I live in York County, VA. York County has a personal property tax rate of $4/$100 value or 4%. So keeping my current RV in the county I reside in costs me about $430/month. However, I drive it 13 miles into the city of Hampton, VA to store it and the tax rate is $0.000001/$100 value or just about FREE. I decided to store the RV in Hampton.

This made me curious about what tax rates are being paid in different areas. What location and tax rate do you have?
$430 a month ? Did you mean a year ?
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:27 AM   #17

Forest River Owners Club
We lived in York County when we bought our coach in TX. The girl at DMV nearly fainted when she told us what the sales tax would be ...and so did we. I was exempt from the county personal property tax as a non-resident active duty military member. As I recall, Gloucester in the county to the north of York Cty had a pretty low rate also. So do you register it in Hampton rather at your home address? Mine was stored in Hampton too as it was on Langley AFB, but it was registered at my home address in Yorktown and therefore I had to drive out to Yorktown city hall to get my exemption letter every year before I could get the new registration. No one except insurance ever asked where it was stored/garaged.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:36 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
Mass. is $25.00 per thousand. The first year is 90% of the LIST price, no matter what you paid. Of course sales tax is extra!
One of the reasons we left MA when we retired. No Property or Excise Tax in SD.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:07 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Does merely parking your coach in another county legally exempt you from the personal property taxes in your county?

Rick
Yep. In VA you register it where it is parked/stored or for boats moored and the PP tax is determined by county or city. I really think that these greedy PP tax rates are hurting the county.
HambonesBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingman View Post
$430 a month ? Did you mean a year ?
Not a typo. Per month(paid every 6...6x$430). It is based on NADA value.
HambonesBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:15 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In Fairfax County Virginia the tax rate $4.57 per hundred of assessed value. So, if you buy a new Coach for $275,000 you can expect to pay the first year of personal property tax at about $12,000. That would is on top of the sales tax you paid when it was first registered of 3% or $8,250. The county has taxed Motorhomes out of the county, there are no RV dealers in the county and you see very few RV's parked at homes or in storage lots. I think this is a shame, as populated as Fairfax county is, camping would do a world of good for many of the young stressed out families.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #22

Texas Boomers Club
It's becoming more and more clear why ExxonMobil is incurring the expense of relocating personnel out of Fairfax, VA to the new headquarters campus they're building just north of Houston.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:59 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
The sad thing is they talk about needing the money for roads but the money is always siphoned off for some other thing some goofy politician dreams up.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Motorhome P.P. Tax in Spotsy. Va.

In Virginia, Personal Property Taxes are determined by the county where the motor home is garaged. If you keep your motor home at your home in Spotsylvania, Va. it gets expensive quick. Spotsylvania Co. likes to make things a little complicated.

Personal Property Taxes on Motor homes in Spotsylvania, Va. are assessed yearly on a declining percentage of the purchase price and purchase date. The scale is as follows.

Year purchased and 1st full year, 50% of purchase price you pay. (if you live in Spotsylvania Co. Va. don’t buy a motor home in February, the 50% rate stays for 23 months)
2nd year 45% of purchase price
3rd year 40% of purchase price
4th year 30% of purchase price
5th year 20% of purchase price
The assessment will continue annually at 20% of purchase price.

Here is an example of taxes on a $100,000.00 Motor home purchased February 25th, 2012. Motor home Tax rate: $6.37/$100 in 2012
1st year (partial year) 11 months = $2,920.00 Paid in two payments.
1st full year = $3,185.00 Paid in two payments.
2nd full year = $2,867.00 Paid in two payments.
3rd full year = $2,548.00 Paid in two payments.
4th full year = $1,911.00 Paid in two payments.
5th full year and every year thereafter = $1,274.00 Paid in two payments.
I did the math kind of quick so I may have messed up some of the numbers.

The first year is the real killer here in Spotsylvania Va. When you buy the motor home you pay State sales tax (I think it is 3% of the purchase price) and for weight rated tags. Now for the real fun part, come May, you get the Personal Property Tax bill about 2 weeks before taxes are due. In Spotsylvania Va. you don’t pay monthly. The 1st ½ payment is due June 1st. The 2nd ½ payment is due December 1st.
You better do your homework on taxes, if you buy a motor home in Spotsylvania, Va.

RinkersRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkersRanch View Post
In Virginia, Personal Property Taxes are determined by the county where the motor home is garaged. If you keep your motor home at your home in Spotsylvania, Va. it gets expensive quick. Spotsylvania Co. likes to make things a little complicated.

You better do your homework on taxes, if you buy a motor home in Spotsylvania, Va.
Hi RinkersRanch,

I live one county north of you, just across the Rappahannock river. When I moved into Stafford county, I called the tax assessor's office to inquire about tax rates and assessed value. I also called several neighboring counties (including Spotsy). During my third conversation (don't remember which neighboring county it was), after we discussed tax rates, the lady asked me where I had my motorhome currently garaged. I responded, "Prince William county." She said, "Well, you'd be pretty stupid to move it down here, wouldn't you?"

She's right, you know.

Prince William county charges a flat rate $24 fee to register a motorhome. NO Personal Property Tax is assessed on motorhomes, boats or airplanes. Literally hundreds (if not thousands) of boats, motorhomes, travel trailers, airplanes, etc. are garaged in Prince William county. I can't even hazard a guess how much revenue flows into the county through the various storage facilities. Not to mention all the other money spent, food fuel, miscellaneous supplies, etc., every time we visit our motorhome.

Anyway, depending on where you live in Spotsy, you may be less than a half hour away from Prince William. It might be worth the drive north.

Take care,
Stu
Old 04-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Personal Property Tax, What a racket, sounds a lot like organized crime. As if we aren't taxed enough on everything else.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:57 PM   #27

Paid 8.6% sales tax on purchase and regular license fee each year in my county of about $75
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #28

Some of those taxes are insane.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome