Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2016, 08:34 PM   #15
KIX

Great story!!
I've been through Shiprock too. In fact, I spent a week there one day.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2016, 12:01 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
Great story!!
I've been through Shiprock too. In fact, I spent a week there one day.
I know it wasn't at the "Corner of walk and don't walk" because there are on crosswalks there. LOL
Old 04-27-2016, 01:06 PM   #17

To someone who has been single a long while and a tad lonely, stories like this just warm the heart.
Thanks for sharing
Old 04-27-2016, 04:11 PM   #18

Great stories!

I'm with GrampaDennis too. When I think back over my life I'm fairly certain I wouldn't have made it without some of the interventions he mentions. I'm also fairly certain many of them were a result of conversations my Mother had with God.

We spent a night alongside a little stream somewhere near Shiprock back in the 80s. It was very peaceful, but a bit off the beaten path. At least it was then.

We too have been helped by others. One that I will always remember is the kindness of a farm implement dealer in SD. I bought a water pump from him for the Perkins engine in our TC and asked if there was any place nearby where I could change it without getting into trouble. He said just wait a few minutes and I'll have someone move things around in the shed so you can do it there, that way you will be out of the sun. I was still working on it at closing time so he sent a young man out to lock up after I was finished, which was only a half hour or so later. I did give the young man $20.00, which was a little more in the 80s than it is now.

I have met people like this throughout my life, and tried to return as much of their kindness to others as I could.

Thanks for posting the stories.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerboy View Post
As fellow motor homers, we are most all ready and willing to help another traveler. These road rescues can sometimes make interesting stories. Here is mine.

Several years ago the DW and I were out in Shiprock N.M. checking on our laundry business. I spotted a very nice Vogue sitting on the side of the road. The gent was under the front left lying on his back working on it. Oklahoma plates, Sunday afternoon, Shiprock N.M., did not paint a healthy picture. I pulled over and asked if I could help. He said he had an air leak and brakes were locked up. He needed the compression ferrell for a 3/8 plastic line. At this point the gent had not even looked out from under the coach to greet me. It just so happened I had been working on a kitchen faucet earlier that day and had on of the little bugger in my pocket. I said," one like this?". He looked out with THAT look on his face and said yea. I gave his wife my card and went on our way.

A couple weeks later we received a letter from those folks. Seems they were on their honeymoon that day and the lady said her husband wanted to see if we were for real or some kind of ROAD GHOST. How else would someone stop in the middle of nowhere and have the exact part he needed to get them going. If we were in fact real, there was the biggest steak in Oklahoma waiting for us if we ever got thru there. Every time I see a coach stopped, for whatever reason, I think about that day.
I loved this story! Thanks for sharing.
Notlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:10 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerboy View Post
As fellow motor homers, we are most all ready and willing to help another traveler. These road rescues can sometimes make interesting stories. Here is mine.

Several years ago the DW and I were out in Shiprock N.M. checking on our laundry business. I spotted a very nice Vogue sitting on the side of the road. The gent was under the front left lying on his back working on it. Oklahoma plates, Sunday afternoon, Shiprock N.M., did not paint a healthy picture. I pulled over and asked if I could help. He said he had an air leak and brakes were locked up. He needed the compression ferrell for a 3/8 plastic line. At this point the gent had not even looked out from under the coach to greet me. It just so happened I had been working on a kitchen faucet earlier that day and had on of the little bugger in my pocket. I said," one like this?". He looked out with THAT look on his face and said yea. I gave his wife my card and went on our way.

A couple weeks later we received a letter from those folks. Seems they were on their honeymoon that day and the lady said her husband wanted to see if we were for real or some kind of ROAD GHOST. How else would someone stop in the middle of nowhere and have the exact part he needed to get them going. If we were, in fact, real, there was the biggest steak in Oklahoma waiting for us if we ever got thru there. Every time I see a coach stopped, for whatever reason, I think about that day.
This is a great story...

However if we look further out... even though you guy were not do this "one-in-the-million", but all of you guy here are also the great hero and great people to me, because you brought all of you knowledge and experiences together, answer the questions and try to help out others especially the newbie who would like to be like you...

Thank you all for all of your contributions. One day, not too long from know, I will have my own MH and learn my own experience of it and hope to be able to share with everyone like you all do.
tamdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:51 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm glad you folks enjoyed my little post but don't encourage me cause as Jimmy Durante often said, " I got a million of 'em ".
Old 04-29-2016, 01:03 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
What great stories! It does a heart good to know that kindness and good deeds are indeed alive and kicking! And so is Divine Intervention.
On the Road with 13 Rescued Cats
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:51 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrampaDennis View Post
Is it against the rules to speak of divine intervention here? From reading jerboy's story, it sounds to me like Someone arranged for him to be at that place and time with the right part, in order to help this other couple out of trouble.

It appears to me that God is not a micro-manager, but that He does intervene in our affairs at times and under circumstances that He chooses.
I certainly hope its not against any rules. I with you Gramps!
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:13 PM   #24
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
I certainly hope its not against any rules. I with you Gramps!
jt

It's my understanding that just a mention is OK, so long as there's not a discussion of religion!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:03 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have been helped on more than a few occassions by great people that went out of their way and I always try to pay it back. What has this world come to when you have to be afraid of merely stating your beliefs?
Old 04-30-2016, 11:02 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm with Gramps too, because he is correct!

And Mojo, I say you have a good and important question in the last sentence of your post. The answer is simply.......it has, is, and will, come to pass as it is written. Think about it.

As for me, I shall not deny Him so I can be politically correct. Ever.

To the OP, great story. It feels good to be chosen as God's instrument doesn't it? If even for a few minutes. Thanks for sharing.

W.D.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:48 PM   #27

You know,
It just feels good to lend a hand once in awhile. We were camping in "The Springs At Borrego" RV park in Borrego CA last week. The winds were on and off, for the days that we were there. The park was medium full. The wife and I, and some friends took the Jeeps out for a ride up Coyote Canyon for nice ride. While we were gone, the wind popped up some serious gusts in the campground. Well, our awning has an auto-retraction, wind sensor system that works superbly.

But, a couple of rows over, some really nice old folks, were not so lucky. These two folks are in the late 70s early 80s and, have an almost brand new smaller class C type thing with a Mercedes diesel in it. Not sure of the model/make. Anyway, their awning caught that wind and, prezteled the main awning arm, right next to the entry door. That thing was so twisted, they couldn't wind the awning in and, they couldn't close the door. They were all broken hearted and flustered at what to do next.

Well, we had just got back from the Jeep ride when, one of my fellow buddies that had not gone on the ride with us came over to me to ask if I could lend a hand to help these old folks get back on some sort of track so they could at least close their door.

Well, as well as retired, 30+ year fireman, I've also been a fabricator for about that long too. So, off we went to see what could be done. I could see the sadness in both their faces and eyes and, the perplexing look of, "What now"??? So, I looked at the "hurricane Katrina" wreckage of their awning arm and told my buddies (there were more of us now in the attack of this project), "Well, we're gonna fix this for ya". I went for my folding ladder and some tools and the others went for tools too. I removed the twisted wreckage and, gave them the old Arnold Schwarzenegger line: "I'll be back"!!!

Long story short, after some seriously loud banging that could be heard throughout the campground, some hydraulic jack use, hammers and tools spread all over the place, that main awning arm was almost dead straight again. We came back to their site and they were amazed at what we had accomplished. We re-installed that arm and, did a test run. Out, in, out, in and all was fixed. They were simply at a loss as how to thank us.

They said they wanted buy us all dinner at a place of our choice. We replied, "Nope, don't even think about it". We were glad to help. We walked away with smiles on our faces, AND THEIRS!!

We went back to our campsite and, put away all the jacks, tools, hammers, wood pieces and, broke out the cold beers and said, "Well, what can we get into now"?? It was just rewarding to be able to help these older folks enjoy life a bit longer. The wind was not going to win in this case.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:09 PM   #28

Stories like that makes us realize the great the folks are on the forum and yes, adding God is a good thing!
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome