Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2018, 04:02 AM   #1

Motorhome Security

Need advice on what works. I think I am looking for remote monitoring system.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2018, 04:40 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgr1605 View Post
I use the VEA 3G/4G GSM System from here:

https://www.fortresssecuritystore.co...ture-overview/

Sim card I'm using:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is a self monitored system that sends alert to your phone via prerecorded message and text messages. Easy setup. No contract required with 3rd party monitoring company.

Sim card must be GSM Att or T-Mobile

Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:09 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

Not sure what or how much security you need or want, but here’s what works for me:

I have an old iphone 4 that I took out of service with ATT (It no longer has a phone number, so it doesn’t cost me anything on my ATT bill). It still is able to connect to the internet through WiFi. I downloaded from Apple’s App Store the free version of Athome Video Streamer to this iphone. I then used my current iphone 6 and downloaded the free version of AtHome Camera from the App Store. I have an ATT Mobley $20 p/month unlimited plan, so I went through the setup process to connect the iphone 4 to this Wifi network and activated the alerts that I wanted sent to my Iphone 6. I set up the “camera” (iphone 4) to view the entrance door with a thermometer in full view. Now I can be anywhere where there is ATT cell tower signal with my iphone 6 and receive notifications when there is movement inside my motorhome, then view whatever caused the notification alert. I can also see what the inside temperature is, thereby ensuring that the air conditioner is keeping the coach safely comfortable for my dog while we’re away from the motorhome. Cost to me? Nothing! Just using what I’ve already bought for other reasons. Piece of mind? Invaluable! I could never forgive myself if my dog suffered or died because of a too hot motorhome if something happened to the air conditioner. When I’m away from the coach, I “check in” about once per hour to monitor things. If I can’t connect, then that’s an indication that ac power is off, so I know that I need to take some action. So far, I’ve used this system/technique on several rv trips without incident, so I’m pleased.

Hope this addresses your wants/needs.
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 04:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. View Post
Not sure what or how much security you need or want, but here’s what works for me:

I have an old iphone 4 that I took out of service with ATT (It no longer has a phone number, so it doesn’t cost me anything on my ATT bill). It still is able to connect to the internet through WiFi. I downloaded from Apple’s App Store the free version of Athome Video Streamer to this iphone. I then used my current iphone 6 and downloaded the free version of AtHome Camera from the App Store. I have an ATT Mobley $20 p/month unlimited plan, so I went through the setup process to connect the iphone 4 to this Wifi network and activated the alerts that I wanted sent to my Iphone 6. I set up the “camera” (iphone 4) to view the entrance door with a thermometer in full view. Now I can be anywhere where there is ATT cell tower signal with my iphone 6 and receive notifications when there is movement inside my motorhome, then view whatever caused the notification alert. I can also see what the inside temperature is, thereby ensuring that the air conditioner is keeping the coach safely comfortable for my dog while we’re away from the motorhome. Cost to me? Nothing! Just using what I’ve already bought for other reasons. Piece of mind? Invaluable! I could never forgive myself if my dog suffered or died because of a too hot motorhome if something happened to the air conditioner. When I’m away from the coach, I “check in” about once per hour to monitor things. If I can’t connect, then that’s an indication that ac power is off, so I know that I need to take some action. So far, I’ve used this system/technique on several rv trips without incident, so I’m pleased.

Hope this addresses your wants/needs.
I use Athome on a old Samsung phone works good.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:51 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

I guess that the OP isn’t interested in our attempt to help with information as there’s been no acknowledgement of our responses.
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Old 02-05-2018, 02:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. View Post
I guess that the OP isn’t interested in our attempt to help with information as there’s been no acknowledgement of our responses.
He a new user too.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:29 PM   #7

Maybe he didn't reply, but I found it very helpful. Thank you!
Straatc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 03:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straatc View Post

I see you are new too, Welcome to the forum. What kind of RV do you have?

Old 02-05-2018, 05:21 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

You’re welcome. I try to help when I can. Others have helped me with answers/comments to my questions/concerns. Just “Paying It Forward!”
Old 02-05-2018, 06:46 PM   #10

I have a 2015 Thor ACE. I bought it used about a year ago. Didn't get to use it much until recently. Just retired. Made it to Quartsite a couple of weeks ago for the first time. Really enjoyed it.
Straatc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:04 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I have a 2015 Thor ACE. I bought it used about a year ago. Didn't get to use it much until recently. Just retired. Made it to Quartsite a couple of weeks ago for the first time. Really enjoyed it.

Never camped at Quartsite during the season. With through there once just as the season was ending. Most of the vendors had already left. Stayed a couple of days at a campground & we drove our toad along some desert roads. Enjoyed that. Might go back sometime.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:11 PM   #12

I'm really looking forward to going to Quartsite too, it sounds like a lot of fun.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:20 PM   #13

Motorhome Security

Quote:

My advice is to use the Allstays ap or campgroundreviews.com etal.
Our outdoor furniture, stove, grill, tables, bikes, etc are out for the taking continuously.
Haven't ever had break-ins or anything hoarked from our camp in the last 50+ years!
Relax and Happy Trails
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:38 PM   #14

The system I have outline above has glass break sensor, door switch and motion sensor. My grill and LP tank are cable locked to the picnic table or something like that. I someone tries to break in the coach will call & text me for help.

Tags
motorhome