Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2016, 07:47 PM   #15

(I am the OP.) I posted my ad on a Canadian site, could not post on rvtrader.com as they don't accept posts from Canadians... Will try RVT, apparently they do.

Anyways this PM I get a call from a guy in Chicago who's very interested in exactly my coach, my floorplan. He has been looking everywhere for the last week. So we talk about stuff until I ask when he wants to see it... He finally says he works for an auctioneer and last week they sold a coach just like mine at the auction and it turns out the second bid is deeply sorry that he lost and imagine that, the second bid was for 20K more than I want. So I said OK we will both do good. So he goes on and finally he says I have to register (700$) so I start to laugh. I said I will give you $1400 plus the 20K extra when the coach is gone and money is in the bank. I said "I swear" I will not give you a penny in advance. He was very very persistent but finally he gave up and started yelling and cursing so I hung up. He called back I answered, hung up and he called again 7 more times until I blocked him.
It's a funny story I think, just wonder how many fall for this. There must be some... What a darn shame!! How can he sleep at night??

HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2016, 08:12 PM   #16

Selling RV

I tried selling mine on craigslist had one call guy never showed and didnt know what he was talking about. Advertised on here not one response. its priced 3K under book value and only has 21k miles. I may try consignment next. I think people want you to give it away at 30% of book value.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIDan View Post
(I am the OP.) I posted my ad on a Canadian site, could not post on rvtrader.com as they don't accept posts from Canadians... Will try RVT, apparently they do.

Anyways this PM I get a call from a guy in Chicago ... He finally says he works for an auctioneer ... So he goes on and finally he says I have to register (700$) so I start to laugh. ...I said "I swear" I will not give you a penny in advance. ...He was very very persistent but finally he gave up and started yelling and cursing so I hung up.... It's a funny story I think, just wonder how many fall for this. There must be some... What a darn shame!! How can he sleep at night??
Unfortunately, that's what happens often when you advertise on those kinds of sites, including Craigs List. . . and yes, there are people who will fall for it. That's why we just found it so much easier to put ours on consignment and not have to deal with that kind of stuff. It worked for us.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:00 AM   #18
Ex Journeyman Millwright

Consignment contracts

When you list a home with a realtor you usually commit to them for 6 months. Say after 2 or 3 moths they don't do well and you want to pull out you can't. You have a 6 month contract.

So my question is does that apply to putting it on consignment with someone like PPL or some other dealer?

We went to PPL a couple of weeks ago here in Houston to look at their MH's. I asked one of the sales guys there how all this worked. He basically said, if you like a vehical you have to put down $500 and that pulls it off the lot and you have to close within 5 days after that. You cannot order a private inspector because there's no time to do that and they don't allow it. There are a few more details to the deal than that but basically you buy it as is. The foot traffic they have there was unbelievable. When we left there I told my wife, boy this is a great arrangement for a seller.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:42 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
"When you list a home with a realtor you usually commit to them for 6 months. Say after 2 or 3 moths they don't do well and you want to pull out you can't. You have a 6 month contract."

And if you sell to a buyer that called your realtor for info and they got his name and you end up selling to same after your contract is up...the realtor still gets their commission.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:52 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
When you list a home with a realtor you usually commit to them for 6 months. Say after 2 or 3 moths they don't do well and you want to pull out you can't. You have a 6 month contract...
Contracts are a negotiable instrument. I've bought and sold 12 houses in my life. I never sign up for 6 months nor the standard 6% commission. I always change it to 30 days renewable for 30 days. If I don't think they are doing a good job marketing I go to someone else. Hasn't failed me yet. The highest commission I ever paid was 5% + $100. Don't ask me what the $100 was for but they wouldn't budge.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:01 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Unfortunately, that's what happens often when you advertise on those kinds of sites, including Craigs List. . . and yes, there are people who will fall for it. That's why we just found it so much easier to put ours on consignment and not have to deal with that kind of stuff. It worked for us.
I've had great luck selling autos and a 5vr, on Craig's list, but when I decided to upgrade my motor home I decided to sell my previous coach on consignment. It was absolutely seamless and took about 2 weeks. I received about 10 K more than a trade-in, and was extremely impressed by the whole process. I just think you have to get a good dealer to begin with. We used Demartini RV in Northern Calif. Regards
Old 08-20-2016, 09:10 AM   #22

Oh Forgot. Bought my Diplomat off of Craigslist.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:21 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
Contracts are a negotiable instrument. I've bought and sold 12 houses in my life. I never sign up for 6 months nor the standard 6% commission. I always change it to 30 days renewable for 30 days. If I don't think they are doing a good job marketing I go to someone else. Hasn't failed me yet. The highest commission I ever paid was 5% + $100. Don't ask me what the $100 was for but they wouldn't budge.

We have sold several home and have never listed for more than a 3 month contract. All contracts are subject to negotiation.

An RV listing with a consignment lot is subject to negotiation as well.

Ken
Old 08-20-2016, 03:01 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
When you list a home with a realtor you usually commit to them for 6 months. Say after 2 or 3 moths they don't do well and you want to pull out you can't. You have a 6 month contract.

So my question is does that apply to putting it on consignment with someone like PPL or some other dealer?

We went to PPL a couple of weeks ago here in Houston to look at their MH's. I asked one of the sales guys there how all this worked. He basically said, if you like a vehical you have to put down $500 and that pulls it off the lot and you have to close within 5 days after that. You cannot order a private inspector because there's no time to do that and they don't allow it. There are a few more details to the deal than that but basically you buy it as is. The foot traffic they have there was unbelievable. When we left there I told my wife, boy this is a great arrangement for a seller.
Here's the web site with lots of reading on buying and selling. Selling you have a 90-day contract. Ours sold in a month. Yes, they do have an enormous amount of foot traffic. We were amazed.

Buy an RV from PPL Motorhomes, Houston, Texas - PPL Motor Homes
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:12 PM   #25

I posted my ad here on 29 June. The ad is now on page four or five and not a single response yet.

We sold our mpg TT on consignment at the dealer where we purchased it. They listed it for more than what I would have, handled all of the work, and netted us more than I was going to ask. We gave it to them late in the year (Nov or Dec) and it was sold in Feb.

We then bought our Foretravel from a private party. It was located 300 miles from us, so we arranged to see it on a Saturday. Got up early and went to see it. Talked for several hours, then drove it. Got home dead tired. Talked about it for a couple of days and made an offer, which was immediately accepted. Sent a deposit the next day and arranged to pick it up in a couple of weeks, over a long weekend. By that time our deposit check had completely cleared, and we brought a bank's check with us for the balance. The seller took the check to the bank and of course it cleared immediately. We drove home the next day with the coach, a bill of sale, and the title.
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 12:12 PM   #26

Hello Again Fellow RVer's
Again, thanks for all the comments, inputs, and recommendations on this subject. As a follow up to the successful RVers that sold their motorhome online, I have a couple of questions:

Q1: Did you have any problem with the new buyer when the coach was in their hands and they went out for it - i.e. complaints, lawsuits, etc?

Q2: Did you contact your insurance company regarding liability for someone to test drive you coach in the case an accident did happen?

Q3: Vetting Process - how did you handle weed out the "real buyers" from the rest?

Best Regards
Dutch Master
Old 08-21-2016, 09:57 PM   #27

Online RV sales listing can be scams. I answered an add on RVtrader for a diesel pusher. I asked to see it and he said it was in AZ. I said that was within reasonable driving distance, when could we meet so I could see and drive the MH. He immediately said the MH was now in Evansville, IN. I said that's even better, then the run-around began. I stopped emailing at that point.
I posted about this here on irv2.com, and another member said they answered that same add, and even send a few thousand dollars down payment; and never heard from the "seller' again.
So, Craigslist is not the only way to get deceived.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, motorhome