Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2016, 01:51 PM   #1

Thumbs down Motorhome Selling - Private vs Dealer

Good day Motorhome Enthusiasts,
As plans change for us all, I am going to sell my Newmar tax axle motorhome. Do not get me wrong, I had a real "blast" in it. But it is time to sell her. I can go one of two ways - Private selling like through RVT.com or a consignment through one of the more reputable Newmar dealers near me. However, the dealer route is a 10% commission (OUCH). Going the dealer route, everything is taken care of. However, going the private sale route, there are things to consider:

1. How is the money transaction handled - most likely bank wire transfer?

2. Qualified leads - How to determine this?

3. Traffic - how many leads did you receive and offers from them?

4. Your experience with selling it yourself.

Thanks
Mark S.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2016, 01:58 PM   #2

I find it way more fun selling on my own. I am a Crags List kind of guy. Ten present is not really the extent of your lose once they drop the price to sell it after they get tired of dealing with it. On Crags List you can be proactive and put it in different cities and change your price at will and the final deal is better [moderator edit].

homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:54 PM   #3

I bought ours through Craigs List. The seller knew I was interested and had done my homework, I.e., he knew I wasn't just kicking tires. He tried consignment before Craigs List and told me the dealer wasn't even trying, they didn't show it once preferring to push customers to their own inventory of used or preferably new coaches. I have sold cars on Craigs List and it can be frustrating but I managed to weed out the chaff and was always successful. I would look to consignment as a last straw.

Personally, when I shopped we went to a couple of dealers but preferred private sellers because they knew their coach and th coaches history.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:12 PM   #4

Consignment is the easiest and fastest way to do it. We sold our '04 Newmar this way within a month. Here are two very popular ones and they get a lot of traffic:

ALL Pre Owned motorhomes Inventory

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/

We set our own price and got it. We upped it a little because we knew folks would offer lower. They didn't. Our buyer flew into Texas from Florida and got his own independent inspector to do a once over. We were very pleased with the whole process. Yes, they take a commission but then we didn't have to pay storage fees for it, get phone calls and deal with no shows. To us, it was worth it. Good luck!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:18 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would sell it myself. Have sold three. Using Craigslist and RVTrader. Key is to price it right. Lots of pictures and info in the ads. IMHO.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:25 PM   #6

I'm about to list mine and will probably go on RVT for US and Trader.ca in Canada. I am looking to do a small upgrade. I tried to trade in but was shown no respect...
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:58 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Using Craigslist, you have to put up with all of the lookie-lous, scam emails and the likes. You will usually get a bunch of dealers and consignment places want you to list it through them.

Next you will get the calls that start off with ...will you consider a lower price....they have not even looked at it yet. Or they tell you that you are asking too much.

Then you have to deal with the money exchange. I would not sign the title until there was a confirmed bank to bank wire transfer....no cashier checks.

Personally, I would do a consignment and let them handle the showing, money and legal issues.

Ken
Old 08-17-2016, 08:42 AM   #8

I just bought mine off Craigslist about 3 weeks ago. It was listed for 4 hrs and I closed a deal. I knew exactly what I was looking for. Been shopping for over a year and a half. Talked thru text for about 10 min. and sent him a PayPal deposit of $500.00 Still never seen it in person. Coach was 900 miles away. I bought a plane ticket 2 hrs later and 2 weeks later I flew out with Cash in hand and made the deal at his bank parking lot so he could check all my bills were real. Not only did I not drive it but I didn't even hear it start up.
In other words not everyone is a tire kicker or [moderator edit ]
Price it right to start out with and KNOW your still gonna have to go down a little more when they offer you a sale price. These are expensive vehicles so going don 5K to 10K is not that uncommon. Remember that when listing.
Like they said above... Key is GREAT Pictures, Good Starting price and DO NOT fall for the whole over seas / wire you money scam.
Do not accept a full payment thru Paypal. PayPal money can be retracted by the sender at a later date with out your consent. Just take a small deposit until you meet up at a bank.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:26 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Mark, I would definitely go for selling it yourself, at least for now! I had great luck with RVTrader.com back when I had a 5er for sale! Also, don't forget about the IRV2 Classifieds!

Unless it's someone local that you know, specify that you can only accept a direct transfer of funds between their bank and yours! In my opinion, that's the ONLY safe way!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:24 PM   #10

I also have had good response on RV Trader with people who are serious buyers. Craigslist is a huge waste of time, however if you go the Craigslist route. you now have the option to block out responses via email which eliminates 90 percent of the scammers and worthless responses like people who want an upfront fee to help you sell. Interested buyers will respond by calling you in person and asking the pertinent questions. So list but do not put in your Email.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:21 PM   #11

Happy Campers is right. Go thru bank transfer. If they won't meet you at a bank...... Run Away!

Bruce & Teresa
2000 Foretravel U320 4010
Cummins ISM 450hp
Allison HD4060R 6 Spd W/Retarder
ecurb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:56 AM   #12

Hello Fellow RVer's again,
Thank you all for the great responses. I have to agree with most of the responses, that selling it privately is a good way to go. Regarding Craigslist, I have looked and found that most motorhomes are Class C or B, with Class A's being on the older side (pre 2005 and). Having a much newer Newmar (i.e. Luxury Class) would not be a good route to sell on Craigslist, but possible on RV Trader. With the advent of so many scammers, con artists, thief's, and plain robbers, It would not be a great idea to list it there.
I am also curious what year/model did you sell online. Using a repeatable Newmar dealer like Midway (MI) or Steinbring (MN) will give the seller (i.e. Me) and the Buyer "peace of mind." Tough decision.

Best Regards
Dutch Master
Old 08-18-2016, 11:52 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In FL you can use a title/escrow company. I did it when I sold mine. It was a couple of hundred dollars if I recall. They handled all the tails. Payoff of existing loan, getting the title from the bank, verifying funds, etc. Would do it that way if I sell again. I won't give a dealer a $10,000+ or more commission as they give you nothing on a trade and want retail when they sell it.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Master View Post
Hello Fellow RVer's again,
Thank you all for the great responses. I have to agree with most of the responses, that selling it privately is a good way to go. Regarding Craigslist, I have looked and found that most motorhomes are Class C or B, with Class A's being on the older side (pre 2005 and). Having a much newer Newmar (i.e. Luxury Class) would not be a good route to sell on Craigslist, but possible on RV Trader. With the advent of so many scammers, con artists, thief's, and plain robbers, It would not be a great idea to list it there.
I am also curious what year/model did you sell online. Using a repeatable Newmar dealer like Midway (MI) or Steinbring (MN) will give the seller (i.e. Me) and the Buyer "peace of mind." Tough decision.

Best Regards
Dutch Master

Hey Dutch Master I sold a 1987 Vogue II Cosmopolitan. Had a diesel and 4 speed Allison. Ran great but under powered. Moved up to a newer (for me) 2004 Monaco Diplomat PDQ.

Tags
dealer, motorhome