Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2008, 02:16 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
To appease neighbors we are going to store our 40 ft motorhome. Even though it's legal in our driveway they are complaining that they can't see down the street to pull out--to pull out they really need to be more concerned with the OTHER direction but hey.......
Enough venting............

So what should we look for in terms of a facility? We have sewer access on our property so dumping is not an issue.

We have called a few places and prices run $50-125.00. Most of the good ones also have long waiting lists! So it might stay in the driveway for a month or so yet.

Anyone also know a good one near Gilbert, Arizona?

Thanks for any input!

mom2mastiffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2008, 02:16 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
To appease neighbors we are going to store our 40 ft motorhome. Even though it's legal in our driveway they are complaining that they can't see down the street to pull out--to pull out they really need to be more concerned with the OTHER direction but hey.......

So what should we look for in terms of a facility? We have sewer access on our property so dumping is not an issue.

We have called a few places and prices run $50-125.00. Most of the good ones also have long waiting lists! So it might stay in the driveway for a month or so yet.

Thanks for any input!

mom2mastiffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:17 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Being somewhat rebellious, Karen, if it were me, unless it truly caused a vision issue, I wouldn't move it. If it is legal where you live, and there are no HOA rules prohibiting it... well, it sounds like neighbor nonsense to me. If it does, in fact, cause a vision issue, there must be a way to correct that, I don't know, one of those big round mirrors? It'd be a lot cheaper than paying for something you've already paid for by living where you can park your coach. IMHO.

Brenda, of...
Old 03-05-2008, 08:12 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mom2mastiffs:

Thanks for any input! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tell them you can understand their concern and ask if it would help if you parked it further back staddling the property line between your homes so it wouldn't block their view of the road. If there is space there and they are reasonable then they will go for it with a little give and take on both sides. If they don't then may just be RV bigots who want to have deed restrictions without paying to live in a deed restricted neighborhood.

I just went through having to find a storage lot when my parcel got annexed into the city and now falls under the city beautification code. Laws that regulate beauty are highly suspect and borderline unconstitutional but the anti RV crowd does push them through.

Finding a safe and resonably priced storage facility can be difficult. The cheaper ones many times don't even have a fence or may only have a 3 or 4 foot high one. We found one that seemed to good to be true at less than $60 a month and even though the fence was low they had 24 hour security and a live in manager which sounded great. Then when we toured the lot someone started a fire and we saw them running around trying to find a container and some water to put it out with. Not so great after all.

We finally found one around $70 a month with an 8 foot fence and barbed wire, lit up like day all night long and surrounded by businesses that have 24 hour a day security patrols. Other tennants there reported no break-ins or crime incidents ever and no history of flooding. Wash station and electric available for lght maintenance when visitng the lot. Sites are also available with full time electric hookup for around a $30 a month upcharge. Not anywhere near Arizona but will give you an idea of what a basic lot without and electric gate can be like. Yes the padlock is a hassle at times but for $75 a month less then the lots with an electric gate I can put up with it. It is not like I have to open and close it several times a day so it is really not that bad.

I would still try to work out a compromise that won't end up costing you $10,000 to $20,000 over the next decade to cater to your neighbors likes and dislikes.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:10 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
I was paying $105.00 in Southern Califorina for a gated, live on site manager, dirt lot. Then I joined Colorado River Adventures which has a campground 20 minutes from my home. Storage there is only $20.00 a month, and I use the membership quite a bit. It worked out for me.

36' Cougar 5th wheel
rkerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:01 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
im lucky my neighbor's like mine being on the front lawn on the side of driveway they use it for aland mark the lady next to me love's it there because it straddle's her property line and she get's 1/4 of her lawn cut when i cut mine then she gets her son to come and visit and he get's to cut the rest of her lawn that the compromise that we came up with win/win iget to park my m/h in my yard and the nice lady get's her lawn cut and another visit from her son or grandson's
bmanSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:55 AM   #7

Up north, where I come from, I pay $4.00/ft per month inside heated thru the winter months. (6 months) It's a 90k sq ft building with 20' doors and even has a area where you can wash your coach.
Raca-roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:31 AM   #8

Here in Texas I have a 14x50 garage (roll up door, I control access) 24 hr pass key type gate to the facility, live in manager, runs $195/mo. There are other places nearby for $100 covered, 35 - 50 outside. One thing I would look for is to get a covered site, in our souther climes being covered will reduce the amount roof maintenance and replacement of the skylights, etc. over the long run.

Just my $0.02
Old 03-07-2008, 09:39 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Send your neighbors the bill, they deserve it.

Nick, Journey '01
Old 03-07-2008, 10:06 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Here northwest of Houston, our covered storage with 30 amp service in a fenced and gated facility with owners who live on site runs $85/month. There's quite a waiting list, I understand.

Since Houston and most of the surrounding communities don't have zoning regulations, many subdivisions such as ours are, for better or worse, deed restricted.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:09 AM   #11

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I live in Central Ca. and pay $900.00 a year. My space is 14'x50'. I had a metal building erected, with the owner's permission, that is 14'x45'and cost $7500 installed. If you want details write me a PM.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:33 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am renting in a storage facility. This one has my coach completely enclosed. Since the sun can be brutal in Bakersfield, I decided that it was worth the $150.00 for the 13x40 "barn". I did get 6 months at 1/2 price which was very nice.
Joe
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:59 PM   #13

I realize this is the wrong side of town for you, but I pay !30 a month for covered parking,19 hour a day access,dump site and propane on site. West side of Phoenix.

2002 National Tradwinds LTC 3734
ecp3031 is offline   Reply With Quote