Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-08-2011, 09:23 PM   #1

Motorhome storage - how do you do?

We really don't have the right space to store our 36' MH at home, but I sure wish we could. It fits in the driveway for trip prep or washing but would simply be in the way for longer periods.

So, we store it year round about 15 minutes away at a gated facility under 40' roof coverage. The roof is about 20' high so some snow/rain does get on the MH as does pollen, dirt, etc. The cost is reasonable at around $450/year. I would prefer indoor storage but the local cost I found is over $2,000/year.

So, i'm curious about how you do your storage ( short and long term) and what you experience for cost. BTW - I would consider $2k/year reasonable if I was protecting a $200k plus MH..... But that's not us.

Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2011, 09:43 PM   #2
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
The cost is reasonable at around $450/year.
Very reasonable. Around metro Denver, regular outdoor RV storage sites are around $60/mo and up, way up. Most of the deluxe condo storage garages have a high purchase cost and a maintenance fee almost as much as a regular rental spot. I guess it it the price to pay to live in a metro area, plus the demand is greater than the supply.

A garage would be real nice, but it's not in our budget either.

'09 Pleasure Way Lexor, Chevrolet Express 3500 chassis, 6.0L V8
Last RV, 2005 NRV Dolphin 5342 (2007-2014)
two2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:46 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We've tried a couple options. One year, we had indoor storage over the winter that cost us $100 per month. Positive: we didn't have to winterize. Negative: the building sold the following year & we couldn't use it again. For the next 3 years, we had an RV cover. Positive: it protected the coach well from the elements. Negative: it was a bear to wrestle on.

We can't store ours at our home due to HOA rules (plus it's too long for the driveway), although we do park it on the street from time to time for a couple days when prepping for a trip close to home or in a direction opposite of where we store it. Luckily, we've got family with rural acreage where we constructed an RV port last year for storage. Positive: Free year 'round storage. Negative: it's 50 minutes away from our home so deciding on what to take requires careful planning so we have coolers to bring back the perishables between trips.

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:57 PM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
We store ours in a enclosed 20 X 40 building along with our enclosed trailer, nice concrete floor and a extremely secured facility. Cost $325 per month which encludes electric so we never shut the frig off. We are snowbirds so our kids us the free space in the winter for their motorcycles and trailers to free up their garages. Maybe expensive but here in IA we get hail and other storms and it is much safer to have it under cover in an insulated metal building, also no sun damage and it is about 10 minutes from where we live.
Dean & Mary (Retired U.S.A.F.) plus Purr
2012 Itasca Sunova 33C, 2015 Malibu LTZ w/Blue Ox setup & Brake Buddy
goldwingerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:27 AM   #5
During the summer we have to store our Class A in an open lot. Durning the winter is is stored in an enclosed building, concrete floor and the building is locked up for a cost of $300.00 total. The only problem is that the unit must go inside the first weekend of November and can't be taken out until the first weekend of April. It is located at a fair grounds. Not the best situation but at least it doesn't get all the freezing weather on it.
CharlieTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:07 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

About 3 years ago we stored ours indoors near Sacrament, Ca for $300/mo. Now we're west of Phoenix and pay $130/mo for a 12x50 covered spot.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:00 PM   #7
I store it at a gated lot about ten minutes away. About $720.00 a year. It just stays outside. Heck, I use it all year so I don't see the point in covering it up. Nothing last forever, including me.
falconbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:15 PM   #8
Ours sits behind our house on a concrete pad. During the winter months we store it at our local fairgrounds.( October-april) they only charge us $5/ foot for the entire winter. It is kept indoors. This is the cheapest place I have seen for indoor winter storage.
2008 Damon Challenger 376
EZ tow dolly
2015 dart GT
pacevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:45 PM   #9
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We store our coach at a mobile home park. They have a 5 acre lot and charge $25.00 per month. Better then the rate they allow us to cover the coach and our boat with a tarp tent. The storage is 3 miles from our house and allows us to check often.
Mike, Janet & Duchess (cavalier King Charles)
2008 35B windsport, Brazel's rear TracBar, Koni shocks & Safe T plus steering
mikron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:58 PM   #10
Fleetwood Owners Club
Carolina Campers
American Coach Owners Club
We are blessed. Built a 50x40 with heat and concrete,must fess up.. we have 60 + acres. Never turn frig off and never winterize it. Use it almost every month of the year.
papa&susu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:00 PM   #11
Ours sets outside beside the house when not being used
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:24 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Were lucky! We can keep ours here at the house on gravel. But then again were in New Mexico not PA.

I'd be happy to see some rain and have to wash the coach.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Our House.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	11970  
1999 Tradewinds 7372 Cat 3126
Albuquerque, NM
Theberrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:23 PM   #13
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
During the summer we store our 25' tt in front of our garage on our city lot. During Sept to Nov. and March to May season we pay $36 a month for outside gated storage at a construction trailer outfit about 3 miles from our home. Most years my parents winter in South Texas, so I will store mine at their home where they would store their pusher. This is only 2 miles away....
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:27 PM   #14
Monaco Owners Club
We store ours in the backyard and the door opens to the deck. We live on a corner. Bought the house for this reason.

2008 HR 340 Cummins, Vacationer XL
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote

motorhome, storage