Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-06-2015, 02:07 PM   #1
Motorhome Tires

Will there ever come a time when the wide tires will replace the dual tires on the rear of a motorhome, like some semis have?

spectrum581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2015, 02:11 PM   #2
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Doubtful. It sure helps to have a second tire when one fails.

2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freightliner XC, CAT 3126B
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 02:12 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I haven't seen them on the road yet, but did see them mounted on a Freightliner Chassis at a display at the Good Sam Rally in Louisville 2010 I believe.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 03:45 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Originally Posted by spectrum581 View Post
Will there ever come a time when the wide tires will replace the dual tires on the rear of a motorhome, like some semis have?
You can be sure it is not common today because of cost. If the super-single wheel and tire ever costs less than 1 steel and one aluminum wheel and two tires, then the chassis builders will be all promoting all the advantages of going that way. The trucking industry has been using them for years as a way of reducing un-sprung weight, but obviously the cost of converting older units is cost-prohibitive.
2016 EC Aspire 42RBQ / 2014 CR-V
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:34 PM   #5
Actually Freightliner has experimented with them already. I saw a 2010 Phaeton with a single w i d e rear tire. The owner said he has driven both and can really tell no difference in thge ride or stability.
Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:58 PM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
One of the reason that trucking companies go with Super Singles is to reduce weight. On a tandem axle truck yes you can reduce the weigh, but with a single axle MH the weight reduction will not justify the cost. Another draw back of the "SS" tires is then in the event of a blow out quite often the rim is ruined too thus really driving up the cost of a blow-out. While they look cool on the back of a MH )I've seen a couple) I just can't justify the expense vs weight loss.
2012 Journey 40U (Our Incredible Journey)
2008 Dodge Dakota
2004 Subaru Baja
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:25 PM   #7
There was a member on IRV2 several years ago who was participating in a study of super-singles on motor homes. He used to report in periodically. I haven't seen anything about them for quite awhile.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:27 AM   #8
Blowouts are not pretty with super singles on a truck, I'd hate to see what the damage was on a motorhome.......

2004 Holiday Rambler Endeavor "The scooter II"
TBS-POPS is offline   Reply With Quote

tires, motorhome