Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2015, 06:31 PM   #15

Motorhome Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
If you will read my first post in this thread, I explained how I used SunBlock on the tires just after I purchased the MH new in 2010. I then reapplied SunBlock again a few days ago. The SunBlock is the only thing I have used on the tires and I have never used covers and I store it outside when not in use. The only cleaning that I have done between SunBlock applications is to occasionally hose them off.

Sunblock is a well known UV, sun and ozone blocker for tires and lasts up to 5 years. US Air Force tested and approved.

http://www.amazon.com/SunBlock-For-T.../dp/B001FCB5BK

The SunBlock will leave slight brush strokes if examined with a magnifying glass. However, the sidewalls have no cracks whatsoever, no ozone or UV damage and appear to be in like new condition. The tires are all dated the 45th week of 2009.

Had them removed and inspected or just having faith in them? Sometimes the guts tell stories.
Let us know how it goes.
On my 1st RV I had old, great looking tires that took out the gas line to the fridge and a few other ditties. Something like that stinks in many ways!
Best of luck!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2015, 07:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Looking at these great looking tires (especially compared to mine) it looks like Sun Block should be looked into. Maybe no need to cover tires? What do you all think? What about 303?

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
I've not tried the 303 so I have no experience with it. On the SunBlock-I would use it on tires that are in good shape with no sidewall cracking or damage of any kind. If the tires are in poor shape then SunBlock will not help.

I applied the SunBlock for the first time right after I purchased the MH in 2010. I do have pictures of the tires taken in January of this year while the MH was in storage. Four and a half years after I first applied it the tires still looked pretty well protected and no damage. I decided to go ahead and re-apply it a few days ago.

Proper cleaning before applying the SunBlock is the most important part of the process. For the current application I scrubbed each tire three times with "Westley's Bleche-Wite" following their instructions. I used a tire scrubbing brush that is curved like the tire sidewall to get a thorough clean.

I then scrubbed each tire twice using the cleaning prep that comes with the SunBlock kit. The idea is to remove all of the accumulated brake dust, oil, grease, soot, and road contaminants and to prepare the rubber for the SunBlock to adhere to. Then apply the SunBlock. I used two coats of it on each tire to ensure good complete coverage.

I'm not selling anything or trying to convince anyone of anything, just sharing my experience and the results with other RV'ers.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:06 PM   #17

Motorhome Tires

Quote:
Looking at these great looking tires (especially compared to mine) it looks like Sun Block should be looked into. Maybe no need to cover tires? What do you all think? What about 303?

I say again:
If your tires are $5000, over 7 years it's about $60 per month. 10 years is about $42. Got 18 bucks? Not a whole lotta Starbucks or Happy Meals in there!

Going to 10 years is about $650 "savings" vs a 7 year plan. $217 a year for the years 8 thru 10.

Some believe that the outside appearance is a good nuff gauge of future tire life, and are happy to take the risk. But many of us know better, from mishaps and innocent ignorance. I opt for the plan that is much safer and only costs chump-change more.
Be safe out there, friends
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:11 PM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our OEM Michelins on the '02 DSDP went about 8 years and started showing a little cracking around the letters so I replaced them.
The '09 Magna has the OEM Michlins and they look great, no cracks or checking at all. From the appearance of the rig I think the original owner kept it inside.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I say again:
If your tires are $5000, over 7 years it's about $60 per month. 10 years is about $42. Got 18 bucks? Not a whole lotta Starbucks or Happy Meals in there!

Going to 10 years is about $650 "savings" vs a 7 year plan. $217 a year for the years 8 thru 10.

Some believe that the outside appearance is a good nuff gauge of future tire life, and are happy to take the risk. But many of us know better, from mishaps and innocent ignorance. I opt for the plan that is much safer and only costs chump-change more.
Be safe out there, friends
One year old tires look good on the outside, are you going to take the risk and drive on them? How do you know that there wasn't a manufacturing defect and that it'll blow out on you? If I were you, just to be safe, I would take the tires off and inspect the insides every time I drove it (and rotate and balance them too)!

If I were you I wouldn't change them at seven years-too much risk. I'd change them at five years-just a little chump change more.

If you'll go back and read the original poster's question it is: "My motorhome tires show they where made the 25th week of 2009. Is it normal to see cracks in the sidewalls at this age?"

My first reply was directly to his question. My tires happen to be the same age as his. My tires have no sidewall cracks and I posted a picture to show it. He can decide if it's normal to have sidewall cracks at that age, but I don't think so. We are talking about tires that are 5-6 years old. I don't know how you got off onto the 7-10 year old tire subject.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:31 PM   #20

Well my 09 dated Michelins, which have been taken care of, have what appears to be significant cracks. Enough so that I am replacing them this week with new Bridgestones. Good move? We'll know in a few years.

firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:52 PM   #21

Quote:
Well my 09 dated Michelins, which have been taken care of, have what appears to be significant cracks. Enough so that I am replacing them this week with new Bridgestones. Good move? We'll know in a few years.

I think that's a wise move. If mine had cracks in them, I'd replace them.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:46 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
On my 1st RV I had old, great looking tires that took out the gas line to the fridge and a few other ditties. Something like that stinks in many ways! Best of luck!
And once tires on a heavy Class A reach the age of 7 years or more, luck is about all you have left.

On our previous 40' diesel pusher, I kept it inside a metal building except when we used it. The building stays closed, so there's no sun exposure. I watched the outside of the tires religiously from the day we bought it, keeping inflation pressures spot-on, and ever vigilant for any sign of age or other distress.

Then, it happened. One hot day at 65 mph on a 4-lane divided highway, the front driver-side tire blew. This was a tire that still showed no cracking or other visible issues externally. The damage was substantial; it severed the fuel filler hose and sprayed diesel fuel everywhere from a just-filled tank. It took out the entire fender structure and shards of steel-cased tire flew up through the coach interior floor, with fuel spraying inside as well - all in all, a very memorable experience. Repairs took literally months.

It's now abundantly clear to me that lack of external aging is not sufficient to prove a tire is roadworthy. It can look showroom new on the outside, but have critical weakness developing INSIDE. We don't inspect tires on the inside, normally. I believe it's very unwise to keep RV tires on 7 or more years, regardless of mileage, and regardless of how well maintained on the outside. It's just not worth the risk.
Racklefratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:39 PM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I put new Dunlop tires on our coach in the fall of 2009.

Last year, a highway incident led us to put new Bridgestone tires on the front axle.

Our rear axle Dunlop tires are now almost 6 years old, and look exactly the same as the day we bought them new. They don't look a day older than the 1 year old Bridgestones on the front axle.

I have never used a tire protectant of any kind. I have considered using Aerospace 303, but have never got around to it.

One thing I do know. If my tires showed sidewall cracks, they wouldn't be on my coach. I also know that the new tires that I bought to replace those cracked tires would be a different brand.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:41 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
I also know that the new tires that I bought to replace those cracked tires would be a different brand.
Why? ANY brand tire will develop cracks in the sidewalls, given enough time.
Racklefratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:59 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racklefratz View Post
Why? ANY brand tire will develop cracks in the sidewalls, given enough time.
How much time? The tires on my Corvette are 30 years old and no cracks anywhere. The Michelin's on my MH showed cracks at 2 years. The Toyo's on the MH now are 4 years old and no cracks.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:23 PM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
regardless of manufacturer they are just about 6 years old and if there are cracks in the sidewall it is time to REPLACE them
gasser 38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:39 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racklefratz View Post
And once tires on a heavy Class A reach the age of 7 years or more, luck is about all you have left.

On our previous 40' diesel pusher, I kept it inside a metal building except when we used it. The building stays closed, so there's no sun exposure. I watched the outside of the tires religiously from the day we bought it, keeping inflation pressures spot-on, and ever vigilant for any sign of age or other distress.

Then, it happened. One hot day at 65 mph on a 4-lane divided highway, the front driver-side tire blew. This was a tire that still showed no cracking or other visible issues externally. The damage was substantial; it severed the fuel filler hose and sprayed diesel fuel everywhere from a just-filled tank. It took out the entire fender structure and shards of steel-cased tire flew up through the coach interior floor, with fuel spraying inside as well - all in all, a very memorable experience. Repairs took literally months.

It's now abundantly clear to me that lack of external aging is not sufficient to prove a tire is roadworthy. It can look showroom new on the outside, but have critical weakness developing INSIDE. We don't inspect tires on the inside, normally. I believe it's very unwise to keep RV tires on 7 or more years, regardless of mileage, and regardless of how well maintained on the outside. It's just not worth the risk.
You discovered the hard way, most tires fail from the inside.
That is why Michelin recommends RV tires over 5 years old should be de-mounted and inspected annually, and replaced at 10 years.

Addressing tire failures; Firestone/Bridgestone states tire pressures should be what the vehicle mfgr. recommends on the tire placard or in the owners manual.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:02 PM   #28

Question for you guys.

if tires fail from the inside, what difference does if make if you cover them from the the sun?

thanks

Tags
tires, motorhome