Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2015, 09:48 PM   #15

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
Keep in mind that they all have a DOT number on them, indicating approval of the US Government.
And if they're anything like the "DOT approved" headlights sold on eBay and Amazon they are probably not actually approved. They just stick the numbers on, figuring no one will actually check them.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2015, 10:40 PM   #16

Bob Witt - If the GoodYears have given you good service then replace them with new GoodYears. I am very careful about buying tires for our motorhome. I have read through the threads on this web site about what happens when a tire blows at full highway speed. I have never had that happen and this is one new experience I don't care to have if preventable.

I have bought a few different brands but only tires that are made in this country. Why, we have strong safety regulations here. I have bought Michelin, GoodYear, BF Goodrich, Dunlop, and Firestone. None have given me any problems. Someone commented on Michelin having a "checking" problem on the exterior. When I bought our coach used it had six Michelin tires on it. The two front steer tires were made in Spain. The four drive Michelin were made in the USA. When I replaced them at about six years old the USA made Michelins looked like new. The front Spanish Michelins were weather worn.

I always make sure the tires were made recently. Do not let someone talk you into a tire a year old. The last three times I have bought tires they were less than a month old.

I would guess that other advanced countries with strong safety regulations like Japan and Germany would be perfectly safe. I would not drive a mile on Chinese tires. I don't think second tier industrial countries like Spain and Korea have the same strict safety regulations as the USA. And China is absolutely a gamble as even if they have strong regulations they may not be enforced.

I always use high volume truck tire places to buy tires as they usually have the freshest tires and know how to mount them properly. They also usually have the best deals.

I will mention that I am very happy with the four year old Firestones I have on my drive tires. They show absolutely no weather damage, hardly any wear, and have held air extremely well. I bought the Firestones because at the time they were 28% less than comparable Michelin.

B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:09 AM   #17

A lot of people like the CHEAP Chinese tires. We used to use them on out implement trailers that carried loads up to but not exceeding their load carrying ratings. We had ply separation, fast tread wear and numerous blow outs. We finally went to a Good Year commercial tire that cost 50+% more, but they last longer and not a single blow out in six years. I currently have a set of Hercules tires on my enclosed trailer. At 10,000 miles they have less than 50% tread remaining. I have run only Michelin or Good Year tires on our motor homes. Never a problem and no weather checking. In tires, you get what you pay for. I will pay double for a tire made in the USA as opposed to China. The difference in cost over the 8-10 year life or 80,000 miles of use of the tires is insignificant. In my case, at $200/tire difference, it amounts to less than 2 cents/mile. Pretty low cost for peace of mind when I consider the cargo it's carrying.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:27 AM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Why pay for a 80000 mile tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
A lot of people like the CHEAP Chinese tires. We used to use them on out implement trailers that carried loads up to but not exceeding their load carrying ratings. We had ply separation, fast tread wear and numerous blow outs. We finally went to a Good Year commercial tire that cost 50+% more, but they last longer and not a single blow out in six years. I currently have a set of Hercules tires on my enclosed trailer. At 10,000 miles they have less than 50% tread remaining. I have run only Michelin or Good Year tires on our motor homes. Never a problem and no weather checking. In tires, you get what you pay for. I will pay double for a tire made in the USA as opposed to China. The difference in cost over the 8-10 year life or 80,000 miles of use of the tires is insignificant. In my case, at $200/tire difference, it amounts to less than 2 cents/mile. Pretty low cost for peace of mind when I consider the cargo it's carrying.
Why pay Double for a 80,000 mile Tire when the average motor home driver only drives 3K to 6K a year. FYI In the past 25 years the only tire failures I have had have been american tires made in the USA. I have used Chinese made tires for the past 10 years never had a failure. The tires will age out 5 to 7 years before the tread is worn out.
JMHO
Mel
Old 07-14-2015, 12:02 PM   #19

I would like to say thank you very much for all the input. My conclusion would be to choose the same tire I have on the unit however it appears that I can still get good quality tires at a more reasonable price. The only tires that seem to be unfavorable is the Chinese made for several reasons. The Good year G670 that are on there are 2005's and yes there is a date stamp, although still tread left they are getting hairline cracks. Thanks again for all the input guys
Old 07-14-2015, 01:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbell View Post
Why pay Double for a 80,000 mile Tire when the average motor home driver only drives 3K to 6K a year. FYI In the past 25 years the only tire failures I have had have been american tires made in the USA. I have used Chinese made tires for the past 10 years never had a failure. The tires will age out 5 to 7 years before the tread is worn out.
JMHO
Mel
You might as well give up, Mel. You're never gonna convince some guys.

Saying all Chinese tires are junk, based on something that happened 10 or 20 years ago is like saying all American cars are junk, based on the '74 Vega I had in high school.

It's not 1995 anymore! We live in a world-wide economy, whether we like it or not. Even Almighty Michelin has 2 tire factories in China. I guess they're making garbage too, huh?
Old 07-14-2015, 03:51 PM   #21

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBob View Post

Saying all Chinese tires are junk, based on something that happened 10 or 20 years ago is like saying all American cars are junk, based on the '74 Vega I had in high school.

It's not 1995 anymore! We live in a world-wide economy, whether we like it or not. Even Almighty Michelin has 2 tire factories in China. I guess they're making garbage too, huh?
I grew up hearing the same thing about Japanese products and made a prediction then, that some people in the future, might not be able to afford, what is now a Lexus.
Speaking of the almighty and a question for the die hard disciples, is what they propose on doing, when every tire on the planet is made in China. Can't resort to just riding a bicycle, as they will be running on Chinese tires, too, so....
I notice my latest South Korean Hankooks are made in China now. So, I guess that means with what was once an excellent tire with a great reputation is now junk and not fit for the nation's highways.
As for Michelin, there wasn't a tire made anywhere with worst sidewall cracking around 2002, so obviously they're a Yugo also and will remain so forever, no matter, if they cured the problem or not.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 04:14 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBob View Post

Most of us make purchasing decisions based on our own past experience. In the case of our implement tires, I could have continued to buy foreign made tires telling myself they cost less. However, they actually cost us more due to the down time, extra labor to repair and inconvenience of delaying the completion of a project. By buying a better tire even though it cost more, saved us far more than the price difference. We have had very good experience and service with Good Year, Michelin, and Firestone tires. When I compare our experience to saving a few dollars on foreign made tires, I don't have to think long on it. So for my small part, I will continue to support our domestic tire manufacturers.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:40 PM   #23

You can look all over MH's made in the US.....you will find parts from all corners of the planet, Taiwan, Korea, China, Mexico and so on and so on.
From the smallest components to the biggest - things are outsourced - thats just a fact of the world we live in.

Tire debates run the risk of being unreliable in my opinion. The way I care for a tire will be totally different from the next user and so on and so on.
I have run US made tires and reputable offshore tires as well. Care for them, do regular inspections and by all means keep them correctly inflated.

I just put 8 315's by Hankook on my Newmar last week - time will tell how well they perform......

Its just I get a kick out of the folks that say they will never use "so and so" tire brands because they are offshore yet their oblivious to the fact that many significant chassis components on their brand name MH are freshly unpacked from the overseas shipping container prior to assembly.

JMHO

Adam
Old 07-15-2015, 06:22 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
I've put new Hankooks on all 4 rigs we've owned along with our four-wheelers. No issues at all and very good pricing. As long as they are available I plan on staying with them.

abrasv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, tires