Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2015, 01:26 PM   #1

Motorhome tires

Right now I'm using Goodyear G670 245 70 19.5 and I am about to replace the rears, any suggestions? They are on a 30 foot Itasca class "A"
Bob Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2015, 01:47 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I had Goodyears on the coach when I bought it. The front tires had cupping due to an alignment issue. I moved these to the back after getting and alignment and ran the Goodyears on the front for another 6 months.

After confirming my alignment was good, I put on a set of Bridgestones on the front, I have ~45K miles on them now and 6 years and they look like new. I removed the cupped tires from the back and put the fronts on there.

+2 years later I replaced the rear Goodyears with a set of Bridgestones, they have ~4 years ~25K miles on them.

When I took the Goodyears off the back they were ~+9 years old and still had tread left. I completely inspected each time, the insides looked like new, no signs of deterioration, cracking etc. They had +75K miles on them.

My current preference is Bridgestone.

I've heard that Michelins are dealing with weather checking/cracking issues. I know I had put a good set of Michelins on my Class C back in 2002 (after having 4 Firestone failures) thinking that they would be a better tire. After 5 years I had to replace due to very bad cracking to the point I didn't feel they were safe even with only ~30K miles on them.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 02:06 PM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Witt View Post
Right now I'm using Goodyear G670 245 70 19.5 and I am about to replace the rears, any suggestions? They are on a 30 foot Itasca class "A"
Cheapest Chinese brand you can find on the market and most likely from Amazon, would be my preference and the Hercules on my drive axle have served me well so far, but haven't seen my size since an maybe not yours either.... Robot Check
I had a local shop mount and balance them at a very reasonable price, so all worth it.
If you just have to have a good name, without paying too much for it, however, I'd go with Hankooks and doubt if they can be beat at any price. I have them on the drive and tag axles, as well.
Keep in mind that they all have a DOT number on them, indicating approval of the US Government.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 02:14 PM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I had Goodyears on the coach when I bought it. The front tires had cupping due to an alignment issue. I moved these to the back after getting and alignment and ran the Goodyears on the front for another 6 months.

After confirming my alignment was good, I put on a set of Bridgestones on the front, I have ~45K miles on them now and 6 years and they look like new. I removed the cupped tires from the back and put the fronts on there.

+2 years later I replaced the rear Goodyears with a set of Bridgestones, they have ~4 years ~25K miles on them.

When I took the Goodyears off the back they were ~+9 years old and still had tread left. I completely inspected each time, the insides looked like new, no signs of deterioration, cracking etc. They had +75K miles on them.

My current preference is Bridgestone.

I've heard that Michelins are dealing with weather checking/cracking issues. I know I had put a good set of Michelins on my Class C back in 2002 (after having 4 Firestone failures) thinking that they would be a better tire. After 5 years I had to replace due to very bad cracking to the point I didn't feel they were safe even with only ~30K miles on them.
Michelin, besides being expensive had some very bad years with sidewall cracking and especially in 02, when they ended up replacing a lot of tires.
Bridgestones are great, but expensive also.
GY RV670's have soft rubber and what you most likely experienced with what you call cupping, was rivering and what they're also noted for.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:04 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I just installed 6 new Samson tires on my Motor home. I wrote about it in another thread. Here is the link Click Here
Old 07-10-2015, 02:14 PM   #6

I'm getting Sumitomo 275/70R22.5 from a local place in Central Florida. $350 a tire installed. Reviews are good.
mbishop10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:25 AM   #7

I found Dunlop to be reasonable in price and like them so far with about 10K on them
mn.roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn.roadking View Post
I found Dunlop to be reasonable in price and like them so far with about 10K on them
I too have Dunlops and have about 4k on them. No complaints, but I don't have any previous experiences to compare them to.

I just can't find weight tables for them. I used the Goodyear tables.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:14 PM   #9
epj

I just put a set of Toyo 19.5 tires on my a holiday rambler 36'. We are on the road right now and have about 300 miles on them. Handling and ride seem improved over the Michaleans they replaced. $2700 OTD for six. Included a $70 service call to mount on site.
epj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 02:38 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I put Sumitomo 245/70/19.5 on mine a couple of months ago and love them the ride was much improved and only $260 a tire
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 04:06 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Suggest you take a trip down the WA state and visit the local Les Schwab dealer. We bought new Toyo's for our rig a couple of months ago. May not be quite as nice as the Michelins but half the price.
Procyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 04:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procyon View Post
Suggest you take a trip down the WA state and visit the local Les Schwab dealer. We bought new Toyo's for our rig a couple of months ago. May not be quite as nice as the Michelins but half the price.
Heck, if he's going to come to Washington, he may as well go further into Oregon as that is where Les Schwab is based and there's no sales tax charged in Oregon.

Others please correct me if I'm wrong but won't the OP, being from BC, still have to pay sales tax in Washington? Washington state offers sales tax exemption to some states and provinces but not to BC residents from what I understand.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:17 PM   #13
Community Moderator

don't make a fetish of no tax in oregon. i recently called les schweb and other tire shops in eugene and portland, their out-of-door prices for the same tire i was looking for were no less than that of san jose's.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:39 PM   #14

Just put Firestone F560's on mine. Only a couple hundred miles so far, but they "feel" much better than the Goodyear G670's I took off.

Tags
motorhome, tires