Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2013, 08:31 AM   #15

Quick Story

Couple years ago we lost power up here in the Berkshires of Western Massachusetts. Extremely cold and wind driven snow packing around the house. My elderly parents lived next door to me. Being concerned that they had no heat I bundled up and pushed through the chest deep snow to their house. Over the wind I could here a motor noise. They had managed to get to their 27' Winnebago Chieftain and start the generator. As I made my way to the RV my mom opened the door and said "Hi honey, want some coffee?"
I think she saw the relief in my face.

Can't tell you how much I miss them.
60Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #16

X2!.

Most houses have circuit breakers now, and there will be one marked "MAIN". You must turn this OFF if backfeeding your house from a RV generator. In fact, most electric codes require an interlock if you hard wire a generator connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemcgin View Post
If you power your house with your RV Generator, or any Generator, during a power outage, please remember to pull the main fuse in your electrical panel so you aren't backfeeding the power grid. If you have a downed line in your yard or street and don't do this, someone could be electrocuted. Electricity will flow from your Genny out through the Service wire without the main fuse pulled. Always seems to be a report of a someone getting injured or killed from this after large storms. Have to be very careful when we work storm damage restoration and you hear generators running all over the area. Verizon Lineman for 28 years.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:26 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemcgin View Post
If you power your house with your RV Generator, or any Generator, during a power outage, please remember to pull the main fuse in your electrical panel so you aren't backfeeding the power grid. If you have a downed line in your yard or street and don't do this, someone could be electrocuted. Electricity will flow from your Genny out through the Service wire without the main fuse pulled. Always seems to be a report of a someone getting injured or killed from this after large storms. Have to be very careful when we work storm damage restoration and you hear generators running all over the area. Verizon Lineman for 28 years.

I worry about what you are describing. To make sure that does not happen I made a poor man transfer switch. I put a breaker box in my garge and powered it off of the main house breakers box. I have a gas stove so I ran the power for the kitchen, the bedroom and the bathroom off of the breaker box in the garage. I ran power from the House main breaker to an Air conditioner disconnect ( about 15 to 20 dollars if I remember right.) I ran power from the air conditioner disconnect to the garage breaker box. I took another air conditioner disconnect and ran a cable that plugs into my generator to the input of it and ran power from the bottom of this disconnect to the garage breaker box also. These disconnects have a handle that you pull out and it opens up the power through the disconnect. I threw on of the handles away so that you only have one for the two disconnects. with normal line power coming to the house the handle is in the disconnect being fed from the Power Company. If we lose power I plug the other disconnect into the generator change the handle to the disconnect being fed by the generator and power it up. This gives me power for Items that I feel must have power to them. Because the power from the generator is isolated from the power lines there is no possibility of the power going out to endanger a line man. There is also no possibility of the power coming back on while my generator is connected to the line. It makes sure that you don't have to worry about pulling the mains in your house.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #18

Don't worry about pulling your mains during an outage the life you save could be mine . When you see ur neighborhood lights on shut ur granny down and restore normal service . If you backfired a transformer it will create primary voltage you will kill someone please always open your main
Flair30h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:10 PM   #19

Yup, I keep my tanks full just in case.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #20

I had not thought of using the MH genny for the house since I've had an emergency generator at home for years, long before I bought the MH. I have a 240 volt compressor in the garage so I made a power cable to plug from the compressor outlet to the generator; of course before I do anything I turn off the main breaker in the house so I won't back feed to the power grid. Since I have gas heat I can run the entire house on the generator.

2012 Thor Freedom Elite 28Z
Muncie_6spd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome