Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2013, 11:25 AM   #1

Motorhome to the rescue ... AGAIN

We lost electric power at the home front during a wind storm last Sunday. Finally back on Wednesday night.

I certainly am spoiled having a MH at home and available.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #2

I know what you mean.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:31 PM   #3

I can relate to that!!
buckstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
we are presently camping in our driveway...enjoying using the washer/dryer and dishwasher in the house...winterizing the house on Tuesday and heading to Florida till April, then off to California until June and then to Wyoming for the summer..so much to see in this country!!!
Old 11-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I've used it many times for power outages. Mostly I just like to go out by myself and just sit!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We are in mid-Michigan in Owosso and ours came back on Wed at noon. Generator in the moho ran from Sunday till Wed non stop. Dont know if I should of ran it that long or not but it worked fine. Thankful that we had the motorhome.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
I've used it many times for power outages. Mostly I just like to go out by myself and just sit!

I can relate to that too
buckstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:03 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Our hurricane evacuation plan...hop in the coach and make an impromptu camping week!
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:16 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
We're doing a 3 month long major kitchen remodel - love having the coach available for cooking/relaxing!
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #10

Our house flooded from the upstairs bathroom , that's how we came to acquire our rv . We just moved back in the house after 3mos of driveway camping . We decided we like the bus and are going to keep it . Don't think my 2yr old granddaughter would let me sell it , where would we sing wheels on the bus when I take her out for a ride on the weekends
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3513648234.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	515.1 KB
ID:	50453  
Flair30h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We've used our RV Generator when we've lost power too. I think the last time was for a day, a few days after Sandy.

If we had to, with a full tank, we could probably run for 4-5 days at a time. That sure beats having to keep refueling a portable generator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSDP View Post
We are in mid-Michigan in Owosso and ours came back on Wed at noon. Generator in the moho ran from Sunday till Wed non stop. Dont know if I should of ran it that long or not but it worked fine. Thankful that we had the motorhome.
When we're running ours for multiple days at a time, I'll stop it every couple of days to check the oil level and top off if needed.

If you haven't checked it since starting it, I would just check the oil, and also see if the hours used put you into another service period - oil/filter change and/or air filter.

An oil & filter change on both the generator and engine are pretty easy on our coach, and I always keep extra fluids, oil and air filters on board. While the engine oil filter is a Ford filter, finding onan parts on the road can be a hit or miss.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can relate. Last time we had a power fail when I had a house (in fact last few times) I hooked up the cable from the house to the special socket in my MH basement.. Fired up Mr. Onan, back to the basement and flipped a few switches.

Lights. Warmth and Cold (REfrigerator freezer) and data/video (Computers and televisions) Life was good.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:16 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yup. Used MoHo jenny to power stick house for a day about a month ago. So convenient.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:50 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
If you power your house with your RV Generator, or any Generator, during a power outage, please remember to pull the main fuse in your electrical panel so you aren't backfeeding the power grid. If you have a downed line in your yard or street and don't do this, someone could be electrocuted. Electricity will flow from your Genny out through the Service wire without the main fuse pulled. Always seems to be a report of a someone getting injured or killed from this after large storms. Have to be very careful when we work storm damage restoration and you hear generators running all over the area. Verizon Lineman for 28 years.

Tags
motorhome