Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2018, 04:37 AM   #1

Motorhome Used Value and nadaguides.com

A local guy has a 2002 34' Diesel motorhome for sale. It hasn't been used in 2 years and is just dirty inside and out. He is asking almost twice what nada has for the average selling value.
Is the nadaguides.com used value the correct price someone should pay for a used Motorhome? Will a bank finance more than the nada value? Should someone pay more than the nada value?
Dan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2018, 04:55 AM   #2

Not sure about diesel but have found w gas they are somewhat high if a private sale... maybe 10%???
When I bought our used DP NADA was above what I paid w a private sale.
Not many data points but thats the problem w NADA & MHs
Also when dealers report sales I don't think they show the true negotiated price. Any reduction negotiated $ is usually shown as an increase in the trade in value and their ask $ as the sale price.
Just my opinion?
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 05:14 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I would agree that NADA is usually a bit high compared to what units actually sell for. Based on what you say the condition is on the one you mention I would assume that he didn't maintain the mechanical systems any better. I would look elsewhere.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 05:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan104 View Post
A local guy has a 2002 34' Diesel motorhome for sale. It hasn't been used in 2 years and is just dirty inside and out. He is asking almost twice what nada has for the average selling value.
Is the nadaguides.com used value the correct price someone should pay for a used Motorhome? Will a bank finance more than the nada value? Should someone pay more than the nada value?

In my case I wrote a check for it. I tossed out the NADA values and went by what other coaches were going for across the country. My interior was like new the coach had 47K miles on it and for being a 2002 I thought I did ok. My exterior's stripes are in need of being replaced. My interior also needed a gentle cleaning from sitting. I think my buying price ended up being about twice the NADA retail price. I feel however that I did ok.

I would pick it apart. Look at the slide out seals they cost around $1500 to replace. Check the roof and the sealing of the air conditioners and such. The seams on the roof. Ask for the engine maintenance record, oil changes, grease jobs, transmission fluid changes, rear end diff oil changes. I'm sure you understand what I'm saying.....pick it apart to lower your offering price.

What you may be able to do with your bank or credit union will depend on your credit. If your credit is say below 750 they may go strictly on the blue book prices and if your credit is say 820 or higher they will figure you to be less of a risk. Good Luck
Coachmen Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 05:19 AM   #5

NADA prices are BS. They are high so the dealer can sell you something for too much and show you what a great deal they gave you by the NADA price guides.
NADA is funded by dealers to benefit dealers, not buyers.
If someone wants more than NADA price, look elsewhere. There are plenty for sale. Good Luck
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:25 AM   #6

PPL rv sales has a site that you can look up actual sales in the past to compare. Maybe you can find the same rv, or one similar to give you a better idea. Here is the link. https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/diesel-motorhomes-sold
Old 11-01-2018, 06:33 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Our credit union used the NADA to determine the max they would lend on a motor home. We paid considerably less than the NADA value for a good, clean coach.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:41 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
NADA is ok for average to higher maintained coaches. Like noted before, if he didn't maintain what you can see, he likely didn't maintain what you cannot see. I'd offer 70% of NADA or local value and, as always when buying in a buyer's market, be spring-loaded to walk away.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
NADA is ok for average to higher maintained coaches. Like noted before, if he didn't maintain what you can see, he likely didn't maintain what you cannot see. I'd offer 70% of NADA or local value and, as always when buying in a buyer's market, be spring-loaded to walk away.
I wouldnt say its a buyer market myself. Considering how many newbies and babyboomers are getting into rving, I would say it a sellers market. Here in Ontario, I would say the prices have risen about 25 percent in the last two years. Just my estimate of course, but I follow the prices as Im always looking for my next rv.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:45 AM   #10

As has been noted the NADA values tend to be higher than average real selling prices. Someone who is asking for twice the NADA values is being unrealistic and pricing based on emotional attachment not realistic values. I wouldn't even seriously consider that coach. There is a web site that has ads for specific models. That list includes old ads so it's a nice reference for asking but note that isn't selling price.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:51 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
I wouldnt say its a buyer market myself. Considering how many newbies and babyboomers are getting into rving, I would say it a sellers market. Here in Ontario, I would say the prices have risen about 25 percent in the last two years. Just my estimate of course, but I follow the prices as Im always looking for my next rv.
100% agree, its definitely a sellers market right now, in years past you could get away with low balling sellers, but right now, there is a shortage of decent used coaches. The main problem, the price of new coaches has skyrocketed to kind of a stupid level because the market is hot and new financing is easy, making good older models sought after, lets face it a 5-10 year old coach is a great deal compared to some of the new junk being sold now at crazy high pricing.
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:57 AM   #12

...all good advice.....but good luck on getting a loan on a 16 year old unit.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:44 AM   #13

For us, NADA was a little low. Ours showed $21k trade in and $26k retail. When we bought our new one, the dealer offered us $15k for our old one. I laughed at him. Told him I could get $25k easy. He said if someone offered you $25k, take it and run. We had only owned our old one a little over a year but I had done a lot of work and had all documentation. Well it sold in 4 days and for $28k. Actually made a $2k profit after the cost of all upgrades.

2x NADA and not taken care, run, don't walk. You will find another.

I agree, it is a sellers market.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:57 AM   #14

Run away!!!!
Way better deals out there. You should never pay NADA price on an older rig. Also good luck with what ever you get.

Enjoy the time

Tags
ada, guide, motorhome