Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-25-2014, 10:10 AM   #43
If you ever want your eyes opened, go into that nice $300 a night hotel room, close the door, thur the lights off, and turn a black light on You will find the stains of so many bodily fluids, you will never want to lay across a hotel bed ever again.

It truly is what you want to make of it. If you like having the maid come in every day, and eating every meal out in a "resturant", then go that way.

If you like the idea of sleeping in your own bed and cooking some of your own food, and using your own bathroom facilities, then a motorhome may be for you.

Pretty much everybody on this forum has decided which way is best for them. Now its your turn. We have friends that spend their vacations in hotels, and think we're crazy for spend the money on a motorhome. We think they're crazy for spending money on hotels, and then complaining about bad service, smelly rooms, bad food and external noise.

So the big question is...... Whay do you want to do?

Bill & Denise
2014 Bay Star 3103 - 5 Star Tune
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4 Limited
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2014, 10:20 AM   #44
Such a cool trip to plan - congrats.

Taking a greyhound to each destination then settling into a rental house and only using public transportation in between is the absolute cheapest way to do this- but what fun would that be really?

You could do this very affordably with a moho or 5th wheel, by starting used and selling when done.

Lightly used motorhomes are everywhere and a bargain, and as Gemini says 5th wheels are even cheaper, roomier and in many ways more flexible.

Lots of ways to cut major cost out of a moho journey.

With all the modern software tools and information regarding dump sites - a 3rd grader could Plan out a 3-4:1 boondock to campsite ratio, or even longer.

If you could stick to a 5-6 to 1 ratio, you could save some serious lodging money.

What great fun project to cogitate upon- congrats and have a great time!

Uncle Dave

Uncle Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 03:45 PM   #45
The bottom line is there is no comparrison between your own RV and a Hotel room. And when you feel you have RVed enough then you have equity in a RV to sell. Not so when you have spent your time in motels.
Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 03:53 PM   #46
Entegra Owners Club
If you want to save money, stay home! If you want to travel, get an RV. The comfort, flexibility and joy of RV traveling beats everything else by a mile, IF you have the time and the money that it takes. Besides, you meet great people, and it is FUN!

How often do you make new friends when staying in a hotel room? A rental apartment? In an RV it happens all the time.
Marc and Jill, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 03:56 PM   #47
I don't think trying to cost justify makes sense either way. Cost justification is used for financial investments by businesses, not vacationing.

If you go for two weeks a year, take a plane and stay in a nice location.

If you want to see the U.S. and stay on the road for six weeks or more, the motorhome does it.

The cost is a sunk or lost cost, and I think you know that, so your budget determines the quality and time of either options. Or, if you allocate it wisely, you can do both with vacations in the U.S.

If you get on a plane you can go to places like Ecuador and live well for $1,500 a month. No reason to even buy a motorhome in that situation, unless of course you want to do both.

You can also rent a motorhome for a short trip a few hours from home and stay and fish or whatever.

This is not difficult, really, but motorhomes are like boats and airplanes, big money sinkholes.

Sorry, but if I'm traveling to see things, making friends is not high on my list, but you do make a few temporary friends along the way regardless, even overseas.

I don't know why many of the responses seem to answer as if traveling or extended stays are all in the U.S.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 04:06 PM   #48
When I graduated from college I spent two weeks backpacking in Yosemite. A motorhome will never equal that, but now I'm 64 and things have changed...have a wife and that changes things as well.

If you don't like staying in a motel, try spending a few $$$ more for a better hotel room and don't talk to me, and I won't talk to myself either, about spending the big zeroes for a motorhome and maintenance and gas and upkeep.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 04:13 PM   #49
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
"Quote"( My wife has no experience in any. She comes into our marriage with the belief that she will not like life in a "tube." It conceivable she may stay home to be near her kids and grandkids, flying south to meet me here and there. )"Quote"
My suggestion to you is, Rent a nice class A MH, and take the wife(DW) for a long weekend to week long trip. See if she changes her mind, or at least considers the MH as a way to go. If the wife ain't happy, no one is happy! After all, she is half of the equation!
My vote is, the MH is by far, the best way to go, but my DW loves it as much as me! Rail!

That is what we did then bought a old used fleetwood found we loved the life style. That rv lasted a year trade for a newer model. That is what I would suggest rent then buy used. That is if the wife likes it
middleman210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 04:16 PM   #50
Fleetwood Owners Club
Originally Posted by Greg Schoenberg View Post
I completely agree with the sentiments thus far. I would much prefer a motorhome...but is it cost effective? My wife prefers the VRBO option.

We have done VRBO, Greg. It is nice in that there are reviews available specifically for the home/condo/apt. you would be staying in. You would pick your time there based on availability and convenience, etc. However, we have always paid more than $80/night for that setup.

I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but if you are in an RV community, there are some of the friendliest folks around and social gatherings keep one from feeling isolated when on the road for four months. No problem if you like staying to yourselves, but seeing familiar faces just saying a passing "hi" is kind of nice.
2015 Providence 42M, Toad - 2002 PT Cruiser with Air Force 1 brake system. Cummins 450 ISL 9L), Allison 6-spd transmission, Freightliner chassis
Fencebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 04:18 PM   #51
A friend of mine that had rv for a lot of years told me that rving is a hobby, and hobbys cost money.I had a stroke two years ago and wife insisted we sell dp have got back to going again and rent house on vrbo.com stop and getfuel $30 bucks vs $300bucks biggest differce comfort you can get real comfortable in a rv and no luggage to carry in. And out I don't like to eat out my wife is a good cook and I'm not bad if you just looking for cheapest way to go I would think tent trailer. I would not be happy going the cheapest on travel or anything else
halftimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 04:32 PM   #52

Originally Posted by Falcon190 View Post
Has anyone considered the cost of owning a house vs staying in a hotel? It's basically the same argument. So, isn't it really about the lifestyle?
This is what I was going to say. It's a lifestyle choice. How many people that own homes try to financially justify living in a sticks and bricks instead of a rental apartment? Not many I'd guess. Instead, they decide that they want to own their own home rather than rent and then work within their budget to get what they want.

How many people sit down and ask themselves if they can financially justify getting married instead of remaining single? Not many I'd guess. It's a lifestyle choice and you make it work or not. Same thing with using a motorhome to travel. I've never tried to sit down and justify it, we just decided that that was the way that we wanted to travel and did it.

We take our grandaughter each summer for a month long or longer trip of her choice. We also take two cats and the wife's wardrobe. We couldn't begin to cram all of that into even a large van. So we made the lifestyle choice rather easily. I absolutely love it.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 04:47 PM   #53
Monaco Owners Club
The wife and I have drag raced for about 25 years. The first 15 or so of those we stayed in motels. The last 10 or so we've had an RV.

Even the 8-1/2' Northland camper we bought in 03 was better than the motel routine!

We did a 4000 mile motorcycle trip summer of 2013 and had to go the motel route again. The trip was great, the motels and restaurants, not so much.

We spent around $1600 on motels, $800 on food and $400 on fuel.

If you can keep fuel costs in line and avoid the high dollar RV resorts the costs can be pretty comparable. Not saying the RV will be cheaper, it probably won't be. But, at least for us, it's definitely preferable to the motels.
Dick & Theresa
2007 HR Endeavor 36 PDQ
Lots of power to pull the toys I don't have time to use!!
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:15 PM   #54
Wow. Great posts. Obviously some serious thought has been rendered by all in choosing this lifestyle. Thank you.

Only thing I can add is that the Winnie gasser MH I want to buy is roughly 100k...new or nearly knew. Two models...27N in case I go it alone or the 30T, if she comes along.

I probably stay in 15 motels a year and it's always a case of endurance...not enjoyment.

So...it would be VRBO and the occasional motel in a nice SUV vs. the motorhome. Again...I'm leaning strongly toward the MH.

One objection my wife raises is the look of some RV Parks. I think her words were, "glorified parking lots." Is that perception or reality, when following the sun, during the winter months?

Greg Schoenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:59 PM   #55

Originally Posted by Greg Schoenberg View Post
Wow. Great posts. Obviously some serious thought has been rendered by all in choosing this lifestyle. Thank you.

Only thing I can add is that the Winnie gasser MH I want to buy is roughly 100k...new or nearly knew. Two models...27N in case I go it alone or the 30T, if she comes along.

I probably stay in 15 motels a year and it's always a case of endurance...not enjoyment.

So...it would be VRBO and the occasional motel in a nice SUV vs. the motorhome. Again...I'm leaning strongly toward the MH.

One objection my wife raises is the look of some RV Parks. I think her words were, "glorified parking lots." Is that perception or reality, when following the sun, during the winter months?

It's a matter of choice. Some are like parking lots, some are luxurious, some are in between. I've stayed in WalMart parking lots and I've stayed in beautiful luxury parks. I avoid the cramped, graveled parks because I like elbow room and a nice patio to enjoy. The wife likes the nice places also, so I have no problem staying at them.

My wife was not a traveler nor outdoors person at all when we got married. Now she's been all over the US and hiked up mountains, etc. and enjoys it. We do lots of things that interest her, like collecting rocks, shopping, museums, etc.

The motorhome is her second home and she decorates it and furnishes it just like she does the regular house. She has her cats and Kindle and man with her and she likes that.

I would kind of plan things assuming that you'll be having her with you. If you handle it well, she'll love traveling. A spot like this can be had in the Rio Grande Valley of South Texas for $600/mo during peak snowbird season:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8929.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	383.4 KB
ID:	79953  
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:36 PM   #56
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
I am going to keep my response as close as i can to answering his question. He asked about the financial side of it.

I did not buy a Motor Home for ten years because when I looked at them I did the math and found it was not even close to financially worth while. It was not until I just decided I wanted the convenience that I bought one. I notice a previous poster mentioned 100.00 a day for Hotel rooms I thought that was a pretty good figure. The original Poster mentioned High End. Since i am using 100 dollars a day for the hotel I am going to go middle of the road High End and figure 350,000 new. ( roughly a winnebago journey or Allegro Bus prices)
so 100 per day x 365 is 36,500 which is almost 10 years of Hotel Rooms to pay for it. You have to live in it for almost ten years to equate the cost of staying in a Hotel Room. Now if you add in campground costs ( I know you can boondock a lot but that has its own set of expenses) I am going to take a wild stab and say that it costs on the average 25.00 a night for a campground. I know you can stay monthly for as low as 10 to 15 a night but you can also stay monthly for 40 a night and if you dont stay monthly I have paid as high as 75 a night on a weekly rate. Add 9125.00 per year for a place to stay if we are figuring ten years that would be another 91, 250 to add on to the purchase price. But just to add some spice to the figures You might be able to sell your MH at the end of 10 years for 90,000 ( I cannot see that happening but ) To make my figures easier i am going to figure that the amount you sell your coach for at the end of ten years cancels out the amount you are going to have to pay for a place to camp so we are still at the end of ten years you will have broken even. You are going to have to have something to drive while the MH is parked so you are going to have to have a toad. That will cancel out the cost of having a car to drive to a motel. Another difference I see is fuel mileage for a vehicle to drive around the country versus for the MH. I do not see the MH being a winner in this category. So basically it will take you ten years to break even. This is assuming you paid cash for everything not considering cost of loans etc.

An alternative which is what i did first is a 5th wheel. You can buy a higher quality 5th wheel such as Big Horn or Montanna for 80,000 new. If you do not want residential refrigerator or auto leveling jacks ( which to me are not something to do without) You can bring that down to 50 or 60, thousand new. You still have to buy a truck but that will only be at the most 20,000 more than a toad ( we are talking new prices. With good deals on used these numbers come down significantly) The 5th wheel will be considerably cheaper to operate than a MH.

That was my opinion for what it was worth. Now personally I would buy a 5th wheel if you want to just go somewhere for two or three months at a time. I think they are actually more comfortable in a lot of ways. If you get a two or three year old one they depreciate like wildfire. If you are going to be driving every couple of days or weeks there is nothing as comfortable as a MH for all the reasons previous posters gave. My opinon of Motels is that I was a field engineer for a military contractor for several years. I came home for a week every 3 to 4 months. I lived in Motels the rest of the time. I would never want to live in a Motel full time again.
I don't agree with the cost of a MH. We just bought a new DP for $143,000. The reason we paid so much is because we needed a bunk model that could tow a Tahoe. There are great new gas units that can be had for $80K and class C units for $40k new. Used units in good shape start at $10k. It all depends on what your requirements are. Btw most $100 per night hotels are poor quality I have stayed in them! If you want decent quality then you're going to pay $150 plus tax per night. Oh and most major quality hotels are in or near large cities which is okay if that is where you want to be.

msturtz is online now   Reply With Quote