Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2014, 08:13 AM   #57

And you don't have to worry about bed begs, and you can easily have an animal, and you can make friends, and you can stop anywhere for a nap comfortably)

Georgetown 328TS Class A 2010 Toyota Corolla
joannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2014, 08:50 AM   #58

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by joannel View Post
And you don't have to worry about bed begs, and you can easily have an animal, and you can make friends, and you can stop anywhere for a nap comfortably)

Totally agree! A friend of mine told me he was watching TV one evening and that was the only light on in the room and out of the corner of his eye he thought the floor was moving. After dismissing it as his eyes just playing tricks on him until he couldn't take it anymore. He walked over to the overhead light switch and was horrified to see literally thousands of baby spiders crawling across the carpet. He had nightmares for a long time about it. The fun of being a road warrior.

Thanks,

Alan

2001 HR Scepter 38PBD 330 Cummins

Old 11-26-2014, 10:33 AM   #59

Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Quote:
Originally Posted by joannel View Post
These are the most important reasons to me
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:53 PM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
As we drive down the road DW can get up and go to the washroom. When it is lunch time she goes back and prepares lunch. We stop at the next convenient turnout and have a liesurely lunch. What a pleasant way to travel!
Old 11-26-2014, 01:48 PM   #61

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by msturtz View Post
I don't agree with the cost of a MH. We just bought a new DP for $143,000. The reason we paid so much is because we needed a bunk model that could tow a Tahoe. There are great new gas units that can be had for $80K and class C units for $40k new. Used units in good shape start at $10k. It all depends on what your requirements are. Btw most $100 per night hotels are poor quality I have stayed in them! If you want decent quality then you're going to pay $150 plus tax per night. Oh and most major quality hotels are in or near large cities which is okay if that is where you want to be.
Interesting post. I have not seen any New DP for 143,000 but I have not looked that close. I did however miss that the OP said high quality gasser that would make a difference in the monetary part of my response. I stay at some very nice hotels for around 100.00 per night with various discounts. Everyone has a different idea of poor quality. I generally stay in a Hampton Inn. Unless they are located near an airport everyone of them I have stayed in has been what I consider a good quality facility and they have great cookies. I would respectfully disagree with you on good used units starting at 10K I have never seen one. I looked at all the above you mentioned before I bought my DP and the cheapest thing I saw was around 35,000 I have never even seen a used MH that needed a lot of work for 10K. Possibly if you have some knowledge of where I can I find good used MH for 10K maybe we could get together in a MH rental business.

I personally would never consider a gasser. That is my own personal preference though. The air suspension, The air brakes, Jake Brake when available on a DP is to me the major difference between the two when it comes to my purchase selection. Without the above I might would force myself to get used to towing a 5th wheel and do that before I bought a gas powered MH. But that is just a personal preference and a lot of people love their gas powered MH.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:38 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
Possibly if you have some knowledge of where I can I find good used MH for 10K maybe we could get together in a MH rental business.
I bought a 1997 Winnebago Brave with 45,000 miles in Feb 2013 for exactly $10,000 and rented it from March - mid October to a variety of people and anywhere from a weekend to two weeks. From June - August it was rented literally every day for $125 per day (over $11,000 just for the summer. Spring and Fall were another $5,000).

I found it in Denver on Craigslist. I did have some maintenance like brakes, oil and fluid changes and a new starter on the generator and had to fix a few things like a drawer and cabinet hinge. I also had a renter turn too tight into a boulder in Rocky Mtn National Park and damaged one of the compartment doors and some of the trim. Her insurance company paid $6,000 to fix it (thought they would total it).

All-in-all I made some good money. We'll be selling it soon as it now has over $65,000 and lots more wear and tear on the interior. May look for another one in January. I did look at one last week (2003 Rexhall Aerbus) but it had some delam and had been neglected for 18 months. Owner died and estate was selling it for $10k.

So they are out there if you don't mind an older, well maintained coach.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:20 AM   #63
cwf

We considered MHs. instead bought a 1999 TT. It is 34' long. Everything now works...I have about 22k invested. I have traveled 10k miles in last year and although it takes some effort to "setup" in a RV park, I often appreciate Kate the movement after being in the TV. With the TV I can move about.... I can still pull in at Big-box store for necessities, although parking may not be in front of the store...instead, where trucks park.

For a MH, if traveling alone, perhaps a van conversion would suffice.

You may also have the option of RENTING a car. If near a substantial city, Enterprise will pick u up!!

For less impact, a bike may be enough.....and give you some movement to keep flexible.

There are more options... But your decision. With a MH you may just arrive, push a button and have things level out for you then relax. Most any TT will require "activity" to set up, even if just overnighting in a Big-box parking lot.

If you have a TV which can tow a decent TT, maybe that is a good place to start... Or a tenderly used MH.... Best wishes!!!
Old 11-27-2014, 06:35 AM   #64

Newmar Owners Club
At one time , and I have searched for it, someone posted a spreadsheet that you could enter all the costs and expenses for a RV and then for traveling in a car and staying in a motel and compare the two side by side.......
Old 11-27-2014, 06:48 AM   #65

Bed bugs are getting to be a real issue in hotels, motels. I'd rather sleep in the same bed every night to avoid that.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:12 PM   #66

In fairness to my wife's preference, I've been researching the cost of VRBO's or timeshares...one week stay at a time....then moving to the next location. Conclusion. With good planning, $10,000 will buy us four months of lodging, per winter. All our provisions, including golf clubs and 12 V cooler, can be easily transported in our Ford Edge. We simply unpack, stay a week, then move on.

From a cost standpoint, I figure the depreciation of a $100,000 Winnebago is $10,000 per year. That pays the lodging. The savings in fuel mileage, 24 mpg vs 8 mpg, pays for the restaurant food on the road between stops. We would primarily use the kitchen in the VRBO...just like we would if we had a MH. Leftover food is easily transferred it into our 12 volt cooler.

What are we giving up? Spontaneity. But are we?? From what I've read, snowbird RVers must plan ahead and make reservations for the entire season. Boondocking is an option but not for weeks on end. We both like to be near towns.

I'm not concerned about bedbugs. The VRBO's and timeshares I've stayed in were immaculate.

Is my thinking correct...specially from a cost standpoint?
Old 11-27-2014, 01:36 PM   #67

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Schoenberg View Post
In fairness to my wife's preference, I've been researching the cost of VRBO's or timeshares...one week stay at a time....then moving to the next location. Conclusion. With good planning, $10,000 will buy us four months of lodging, per winter. All our provisions, including golf clubs and 12 V cooler, can be easily transported in our Ford Edge. We simply unpack, stay a week, then move on.

From a cost standpoint, I figure the depreciation of a $100,000 Winnebago is $10,000 per year. That pays the lodging. The savings in fuel mileage, 24 mpg vs 8 mpg, pays for the restaurant food on the road between stops. We would primarily use the kitchen in the VRBO...just like we would if we had a MH. Leftover food is easily transferred it into our 12 volt cooler.

What are we giving up? Spontaneity. But are we?? From what I've read, snowbird RVers must plan ahead and make reservations for the entire season. Boondocking is an option but not for weeks on end. We both like to be near towns.

I'm not concerned about bedbugs. The VRBO's and timeshares I've stayed in were immaculate.

Yes! That's why we are all on this time share forum talking about how great it is! You have found the answer! Lol. Have fun!
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 01:43 PM   #68

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Schoenberg View Post

The sales tax ($100,000 coach) and first year registration, insurance, & maintenance alone will practically offset the 1st year of VRBO. However, I agree with the consensus here that it's not about the money rather the convenience and lifestyle that RVing offers. It seems your wife is onboard for traveling with you via the VRBO (not so much RV style) and you both want to be "near towns". Is it possible your mind (& wife) is giving you the answer that your heart/emotions/sense of adventure doesn't want to accept? Using the info provided from your posts here IMHO you will never be able to justify owning an RV that costs $100k+ based strictly from a financial standpoint. On the other hand, we can justify anything if we want it badly enough. Good luck with your decision.
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 01:43 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Yes! That's why we are all on this time share forum talking about how great it is! You have found the answer! Lol. Have fun!

I have not found the answer. I am still looking for the answer...weighing all factors, which is why I post my thoughts here.

If cost were not an issue, I'd buy a Tiffin DP in a heartbeat.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:49 PM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
Cost Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
I did some spreadsheets on the cost of travel, and the motorhome won by a lot.
I went way deep in my own analysis, projecting depreciation, planning restaurant meals ever other day, etc. I guessed maintenance costs, factored in insurance, etc.

As an airline pilot, I can hitch a ride to the destination almost free of charge, rent a car. Even so, such frugal travel barely beats the motorhome method. By far, driving a personal car on vacations longer than several hundred miles and more than a few days is the most expensive way, all things considered.

Tags
motorhome