Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2014, 02:08 PM   #71

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Schoenberg View Post
I have not found the answer. I am still looking for the answer...weighing all factors, which is why I post my thoughts here.

If cost were not an issue, I'd buy a Tiffin DP in a heartbeat.
Obviously I was joking -
Try here http://www.myrv.us/pgs/rv/depreciation.htm

For ideas on deprication.

All of us who have a RV have done all kinds of math and research. The first research is what can you afford and a budget.

And as aside there would be nothing wrong with a Tiffin DP - but there are lots of others that will work as well. We love our '08 Bounder for instance.

If ya can't afford a motor home it doesn't make any difference what other things cost or which motor home you would buy. If if you can afford any motor home on the market and you wife won't be happy - it doesn't matter that you can afford it. Happy wife, happy life.

Put the pencil to the meaningful numbers. What can you afford. Find some units in your price range and show her.

flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2014, 02:15 PM   #72

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
At one time , and I have searched for it, someone posted a spreadsheet that you could enter all the costs and expenses for a RV and then for traveling in a car and staying in a motel and compare the two side by side.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Obviously I was joking -
Try here Depreciation

For ideas on deprivation.

All of us who have a RV have done all kinds of math and research. The first research is what can you afford and a budget.

And as aside there would be nothing wrong with a Tiffin DP - but there are lots of others that will work as well. We love our '08 Bounder for instance.

If ya can't afford a motor home it doesn't make any difference what other things cost or which motor home you would buy. If if you can afford any motor home on the market and you wife won't be happy - it doesn't matter that you can afford it. Happy wife, happy life.

Put the pencil to the meaningful numbers. What can you afford. Find some units in your price range and show her.
That's it Steve, click on the last selection RV Travel versus Car Motel Travel .......fill in the info.
Thank you and........Happy Turkey day to you and yours!

Old 11-27-2014, 02:28 PM   #73

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
That's it Steve, click on the last selection RV Travel versus Car Motel Travel .......fill in the info.
Ha! Thanks and back at ya. I would have said more... but it's my job to peel and devein the shrimp for the grill... Shrimp pic and where I bought then yesterday. Hmmm... rv or someone else's multi-unit dwelling tax shelter.... ???

Almost fully settled in after retiring 10-17-14. Been in Rockport TX since the 11-14. How do you beat this...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1417119872656.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	80103   Click image for larger version

Name:	1417119934839.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	80104  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1417120102835.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	80105  
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 02:33 PM   #74

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
At one time , and I have searched for it, someone posted a spreadsheet that you could enter all the costs and expenses for a RV and then for traveling in a car and staying in a motel and compare the two side by side.......
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Ha! Thanks and back at ya. I would have said more... but it's my job to peel and devein the shrimp for the grill... Shrimp pic and where I bought then yesterday. Hmmm... rv or someone else's multi-unit dwelling tax shelter.... ???

Almost fully settled in after retiring 10-17-14. Been in Rockport TX since the 11-14. How do you beat this...
Congrad's on your retirement Steve! Looks like by the photo's you guy's are enjoying your self's! 5 more years for me........
Time is going fast these days for some reason
Enjoy and have a great day, snowing here in Pa. today, can still see the grass though......
Old 11-27-2014, 02:37 PM   #75

Winnebago Owners Club
If you are only doing it for the money you should not consider a MH or RV. Hotels make it $$$$. RV makes it priceless.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:51 PM   #76

Greg, there is no way to justify a MH purchase if you are looking at it financially or as an investment. Unlike a house, the older it gets the less it is worth and after about 20 years, no matter what you bought they will all be worth very little compared to what you paid for them.

Purchasing a MH is making an investment in your lifestyle. People have all kinds of things that make them happy, the more descretionary money you have, the more you spend on those things you enjoy doing. Traveling is not to be considered a money saving investment either. To do/see the things you want to is going to cost money, no matter what the hobby is- sports, gambling,hiking, fishing, traveling the world ect. Money that you will never get back or see again, but what you do have is the memories of what you saw, where you explored, the people you met, and the fun you had. Alot of people never realize that as they are always working towards that "financial investment" and never stop to smell the roses and do what they really want. I think this is where you are, either way you go won't be wrong, it's just different and what you chose to do.

I always recommend people be financially sound before making a purchase on such a luxury, so I don't throw caution to the wind and spend/invest my money wisely. But if you can get past the purchase of a MH, and really buy what you want, traveling by MH is definately cheaper than staying in hotels, even taking the gas into consideration. It is even more rewarding traveling this way as you will see the US in more detail. Think of it as the difference between flying somewhere and driving somewhere, you went the same place but the journey had totally different perspectives. I think where people get stuck is trying to justify the purchase of a MH, which you can't do unless you justify what makes you happy and you are justifying the lifestyle you enjoy.

People comment all the time about our MH as it is stored in our driveway. I think we use it alot as we have only had it for 9 months, have taken several trips in it,two that were a month long each, and put about 8,000 miles on it so far. They always ask the same question and that is "how do you justify that and all the work you do on it". (they usually try and talk to me when I'm washing it) My answer is pretty simple "I don't justify it, I worked hard and saved along time for this, we love using it, that's just how we choose to spend our money".

Sorry for the long post I just hope it helps you in some way to really enjoy the MH'ing life style and to make a decision and not doubt it.
Mike and Cha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 03:05 PM   #77

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I lived for 60 years in Portland, Oregon and loved being a snowbird. We spend out winters in Arizona. In fact it is Thanksgiving Day and it is 85* outside and we are in shorts, tshirts and sandals. We love the life. Our feeling is that there is more than "what is cheapest" to living our lives. We wouldn't trade this for anything.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 03:39 PM   #78

I'm betting this thread is from someone just a bored as I am while the turkey is cooking and the guests have not arrived yet. Since we don't dry camp, I like full hookups, only 4 or 5 star rated campgrounds and if possible the premium spot it is hard to say camping is cheaper than moteling. However, how do you pick a motel. Personally, when we travel without the motorhome we seek out Marriot. By day two the staff will usually address me by name, the pool service knows my favorite drink, and the breakfast staff will make the eggs just right. This type of travel is also not cheap. Life has been good.
Happy Thanksgiving to you all, to you and to yours.
Happy Trails.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:10 PM   #79

Send a message via Skype™ to GraciesDaddy
No contest...

One of our planned future trips is to Los Angeles/Studio City for a taping of "Hot In Cleveland." We're going to do Southern Cali/Hollywood/Disneyland for a week or so, head out to the desert/Salton Sea to experience Slab City for a few days then off to Breckenridge for some snowboarding! (Sally's a little skeptical about that part, but I think she'll enjoy it.)

The Point: We take all of OUR stuff with us in the rig... Clothes, sheets, towels, pets, etc., cook food WE like, the WAY we like it and experience different kinds of people in many different settings/environments. And the bars in Breck are the happ'nin' places to be in the winter!

What's not to like about that?
Old 11-27-2014, 04:16 PM   #80

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
With a motor home pulling our very own car you have a major "Up front" investment, parking generally ranges from around 25 to over 100 a night, Of course if you join a membership like thousand Trails (PM me if you choose that one) you can cut that down a bit,, quite a bit in fact.

You can carry a lot of STUFF in your motor home... But here are the big things.

First: If you choose to drive the car south: If you get tired you need to find a hotel or motel, WIth the motor home a parking lot will do. Much easier to find in many cases.

With a hotel or motel you have not idea what is under the bed, or when the matress was last turned or what the last couple in the room did while there. With the motor home you know you turned and you were the last couple there.

I vote for the motor home.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:24 PM   #81

Well, if you have a pet, then you are pretty much going to RV, not motels. Your leasonal rentals may also be limited.

I highly recommend the B-Van. You have the ultimate flexibility in traveling. Are not confined to RV parks only. Good hold on resale value. Low operating cost. And still all the conveniences and comforts of the big rigs. No tow car required.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:06 PM   #82

I think your thinking is correct-for you. My ex-wife's preference was for timeshares....

How about this alternative: stay home and save a whole bunch more money.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:47 PM   #83

we like living in our own dirt smells like us and when traveling you have your own bathroom just the way you left it .there is no place like home, whether you live in it all year or just part time its yours (or the banks).do it you will love it
Old 11-28-2014, 10:04 PM   #84

I agree. We decided to sell our MH, and regretted it since we had to stay the first night in a motel. YOU CAN'T BEAT A RV PARK. We went to Az, and bought a 5th whl, and have it stored out here. Back and forth in motels is for the birds. Good luck.

Al, Michigan.

Tags
motorhome