Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2014, 09:18 PM   #1

Motorhome vs. Motels

Next winter I plan to follow the sun. (56 PNW winters is enough). The question I'm debating within is most cost effective way to accomplish this. Pay for motel rooms and rented houses, traveling in a car, or buying/financing a high quality gasser Class A and using it to search for the sun? Timespan is January through April....for the next 5 years.

What say y'all?

Greg

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2014, 09:21 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Well ... since this a Motorhome Forum, I'm guessing you are going to get a bit of a biased response.

I vote for the convenience and flexibility offered by MotorHome travel!

\ken

Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:21 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You cant make a home in a motel room.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:32 PM   #4

And, to think of 3 meals a day of restaurant food....
Old 11-24-2014, 09:34 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Theres nothing like parking where you want to go and ending the day in your bed.....where no one else has slept. I would vote for a MH.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:37 PM   #6

I completely agree with the sentiments thus far. I would much prefer a motorhome...but is it cost effective? My wife prefers the VRBO option.

Greg
Old 11-24-2014, 09:39 PM   #7

I did some spreadsheets on the cost of travel, and the motorhome won by a lot. However, this didn't include the initial cost. Then there's other considerations. First, eating in a restaurant all the time is typically not very healthy and you end up eating differently than if you were home. I also like sleeping in my own bed where I know it is clean. Ditto for the bathroom and shower. You can also take more of your own things and make it very homey.
vettenuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:42 PM   #8

Put me in the motorhome column.

Have you seen the reports on the yuck in motel rooms?

One thing you may want to consider though is towing a 2nd vehicle. You will be limited on where you can park a motorhome in some towns & cities. They don't fit very well in parking garages or beside parking meters. It's a real pain to have to break camp & repack everything just to run to the grocery for milk as well.

Cost wise, I don't know that you'd be ahead by buying a motorhome to travel in. You not only have a big chunk of $$ tied up in the coach but you also have insurance, fuel & a maintenance budget to consider.

I seriously doubt that we'd travel much if any if we had to stay in motels.
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:47 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Know folks who regularly rent a privately owned park model in Yuma and have for years. They were renting for $600 per month (on 6 month lease). It included everything except cable and hydro. They would pack all of the stuff they could carry in their car and drive down for the winter. It was a wonderful deal and I doubt you will be able to find many like it.

Looks good but here is the other side of the story. You have to commit to one place for the time or forfeit your deposit. You arrive when the contract starts and leave when the contract ends. You may be able to get more time but you have to negotiate. If you want to move or stay at another location you will have to find it and negotiate a price. You are/may be subject to inspections when the landlord wants. You are sleeping in someone elses bed.

If money is the only thing you are considering renting is the only way to go IMO. However I absolutely prefer our RV. We travel at our convenience, prepare our own food when we want, sleep in our own bed and are very very comfortable.

RV is my final answer.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:51 PM   #10

Can you say bedbugs!!!! Worth the extra mula to know I (hope) have none!!
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:52 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The absolute financial winner is a long term rental for 4 months. Start looking now, and you may find a nice Condo or Park model. This is the best solution financially. You will be locked in to one location, but at least you'll be able to enjoy the sunshine everyday.
Florida, South Texas, Arizona, Mexico, there are lots of choices.

I love our RV, I wouldn't want to travel anyway else. I am realistic however about the real cost of RVing.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Know folks who regularly rent a privately owned park model in Yuma and have for years. They were renting for $600 per month (on 6 month lease). It included everything except cable and hydro. They would pack all of the stuff they could carry in their car and drive down for the winter. It was a wonderful deal and I doubt you will be able to find many like it.

Looks good but here is the other side of the story. You have to commit to one place for the time or forfeit your deposit. You arrive when the contract starts and leave when the contract ends. You may be able to get more time but you have to negotiate. If you want to move or stay at another location you will have to find it and negotiate a price. You are/may be subject to inspections when the landlord wants. You are sleeping in someone elses bed.

If money is the only thing you are considering renting is the only way to go IMO. However I absolutely prefer our RV. We travel at our convenience, prepare our own food when we want, sleep in our own bed and are very very comfortable.

RV is my final answer.

You raise very good points. I own a home near Tucson that I intended to live in winter. But each time I visited it, I realize that I wanted to see what was over there. Staying in one place for four months would bore me to tears. Consequently, the home will be sold this winter. What to do next winter and beyond.

The kind of travel that interests me is staying at an area for two weeks, then moving on. That can be accomplished with vacation homes and motels....but is it cost-effective? Financing a motorhome is definitely part of the equation. I'm figuring $600 a month. Also, I will be towing a jeep.

Greg
Old 11-24-2014, 10:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
I did some spreadsheets on the cost of travel, and the motorhome won by a lot. However, this didn't include the initial cost. Then there's other considerations. First, eating in a restaurant all the time is typically not very healthy and you end up eating differently than if you were home. I also like sleeping in my own bed where I know it is clean. Ditto for the bathroom and shower. You can also take more of your own things and make it very homey.

Did you happen to post this spreadsheet or care to share it?

Greg
Old 11-24-2014, 10:36 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
If you are trying to justify the cost effectiveness of owning a motorhome, forget it.

Tags
motorhome