Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2006, 07:56 AM   #1

I ran into a motorhome washing thread over on RV.net and thought I would also post here regarding washing your motorhome and a very handy de-ionizer I found.

Everybody posts quite often how to wash their MH's quickly and without spots. My neighbors (almost all of them have large Class A Diesels) used de-ionizing water services that ran in upwards of $75 a month with an initial fee due on signing. I did some research and found this unit right in my own back yard CR Spotless. They went into the spotless water business after using it for such a long time to clean metal parts before powder coating. I have the DI-100 unit with a small pressure washer and am able to get about 2 1/2 washes out of a set of cartridges. The cartridges for me are about $130 for an 8 pack and you use 2 of them each time you replace them. A pack of 8 would do about 10 MH washes which for me is just about a years worth give or take. I can wash my entire 40 rig including the roof in about 1 1/2 hours which also includes scrubbing the bugs off the front. The de-ionizing process is wonderful and as long as your scrub the MH with soap to get the dirt off, you will get a spot free shine. My neighbors thank me all the time for finding this because it is more convienient and they don't have to wait around for the service to get to their homes in case the resins run dry in the middle of a wash. You simply change out the catridges and your good to go again. I don't own a stake in the company nor do I receive any compensation by writing this, I just thought for any of my fellow RV'ers who struggle to wash their MH's themselves, this is a great solution without spending $75 a wash for someone else to do it.

On edit, it also works wonders on any cars AND home windows which I know we all enjoy cleaning!!

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
BigTrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2006, 07:56 AM   #2

I ran into a motorhome washing thread over on RV.net and thought I would also post here regarding washing your motorhome and a very handy de-ionizer I found.

Everybody posts quite often how to wash their MH's quickly and without spots. My neighbors (almost all of them have large Class A Diesels) used de-ionizing water services that ran in upwards of $75 a month with an initial fee due on signing. I did some research and found this unit right in my own back yard CR Spotless. They went into the spotless water business after using it for such a long time to clean metal parts before powder coating. I have the DI-100 unit with a small pressure washer and am able to get about 2 1/2 washes out of a set of cartridges. The cartridges for me are about $130 for an 8 pack and you use 2 of them each time you replace them. A pack of 8 would do about 10 MH washes which for me is just about a years worth give or take. I can wash my entire 40 rig including the roof in about 1 1/2 hours which also includes scrubbing the bugs off the front. The de-ionizing process is wonderful and as long as your scrub the MH with soap to get the dirt off, you will get a spot free shine. My neighbors thank me all the time for finding this because it is more convienient and they don't have to wait around for the service to get to their homes in case the resins run dry in the middle of a wash. You simply change out the catridges and your good to go again. I don't own a stake in the company nor do I receive any compensation by writing this, I just thought for any of my fellow RV'ers who struggle to wash their MH's themselves, this is a great solution without spending $75 a wash for someone else to do it.

On edit, it also works wonders on any cars AND home windows which I know we all enjoy cleaning!!

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 01-18-2006, 09:19 AM   #3

I use one of those Mr. Clean gadgets that goes on the end of the hose. Wallyworld sells them for about $20.

I use it on my cars all the time. No spots, no drying off and it works like a charm. Soap refills are about $5.00 and so are the filters.

Each refill is good for about 10 car washes, so 3-4 motorhome washes. You have to use theire soap for it to work.

It is small and will fit right in a bucket. Plastic, so it's also light.

I think the filters in Mr. Clean deionize the water also.

I like it so much that I went and bought another one after my wife ran over the original laying in the driveway. Boy, I wish she'd learn to pick up my stuff and put it away!!!

Doug
2005 Itasca Meridian 36G
99 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:12 AM   #4

The Mr. Clean thing, does a great job. CHIPPYSGT has the right idea. The replacement soap and filter cartridges are easily obtained. I think they have come out with a commercial one since the original. It works well on house windows too. Definetly no spots. Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:45 AM   #5

I like you guys have used the Mr. Clean before, but have not had good results with it. It is why I switched over to the other system. The soap is good and can be used to wash the MH with, but the spot free rinse wasn't so spot free. JMHO

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 01-18-2006, 01:31 PM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

Mr. Clean for me too....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:22 AM   #7

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Has anyone tried adding some Jet Dry rinse agent (dishwasher additive that gives spot free drying) or similar product to the rinse water? I'm thinking about giving it a try once we thaw out sometime in June or July (just kidding).
Canuck

300HP Cat 3126E, 6Sp Allison
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 09:54 AM   #8

I like the idea of jet dry-- put a bit in a hose end garden spayer and rinse the MH off -- I'll give it a shot and see what happens maybee next weekend as we have rain forcasted for the next few days
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 01:30 PM   #9
PDB

Put me in the Mr Clean line. It does a great job. My only complaint is that it uses a lot of soap.

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd
PDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 04:19 PM   #10

I have been using the JET DRY for over a year now. The idea came to me while reading up on the Mr. Clean product. It seems that they are using the non steak ingreadient in their product.
Bottom line is I put two onces or so in a bucket of hot water and wash the coach with a brush not letting it dry in the sun. This mixture works better to cut road film and oil that anythin I have ever used. When rinsed with plain water it drys with NO STEAKS what so ever.
Sam's Club has large bottles available for under
ten dollars.
MMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 03:03 PM   #11

M. Mouser:
You say that Jet dry works great but it wasn't clear if you use it in conjunction with a car soap or just by itself. Also you use it in the wash cycle not the rinse cycle, right?

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
kenbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 04:53 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have used several times the Windex OUTDOOR attachment for hose. Has a selector for soap,then rinse.Always looks great and is not hard to do. I think these Windex outdoors,like you use on outside windows of a house, are around $6.00 at Walmart. I,ve even used at a camp ground with out alot of soap bubbles hanging around.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:52 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M Mouser:
Bottom line is I put two onces or so in a bucket of hot water and wash the coach with a brush not letting it dry in the sun. This mixture works better to cut road film and oil that anythin I have ever used. When rinsed with plain water it drys with NO STEAKS what so ever.
Sam's Club has large bottles available for under
ten dollars. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How is it on the wax job? And by no streaks, i also assume you mean no SPOTS?
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 12:05 AM   #14
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just for kicks, after I purchased a Mr Clean, I tried a different car soap (Blue Coral). I used my usual soap and water bucket and used Mr Clean to rinse and spot free rinse the car. I let it dry in the sun. Not a spot one! This is really going to be great for the MH. Thanks to all who contributed Mr Clean information.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote