Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2018, 02:40 PM   #1

Motorhome weights

On new rig researching,,,, i'd love to be able to compare the actual unloaded vehicle weight and the gross vehicle weight rating. It's easy to find specs showing the gvwr but I've never seen the uvw listed for a motorhome online or in a sales brochure. Seems you only get that information if you're able to physically eyeball the sticker on the inside of the rig you're looking at.

I do realize there are variables but i'd still think we'd be able to get good average weights of same model coaches built on the same chassis' and with the same options. Imo, having just the gvwr is pretty much useless since there's nothing to compare it to.

I wouldn't think I was the only one who has curious about this but since I've never seen it asked, I also have to wonder if it's a taboo subject that i'm not supposed to ask about? :angel
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2018, 02:51 PM   #2

Not taboo, just secret. I sometimes wonder if the builders know. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:52 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My rig has a unloaded vehicle weight of 47,600#'s, a GVWR of 54,000#'s and a GCVWR of 69,000#'s. However that's underrating the drive axle and it's tires by 5,000#'s to stay under the old Federal rules for MH axle ratings.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
On new rig researching,,,, i'd love to be able to compare the actual unloaded vehicle weight and the gross vehicle weight rating. It's easy to find specs showing the gvwr but I've never seen the uvw listed for a motorhome online or in a sales brochure. Seems you only get that information if you're able to physically eyeball the sticker on the inside of the rig you're looking at.

I do realize there are variables but i'd still think we'd be able to get good average weights of same model coaches built on the same chassis' and with the same options. Imo, having just the gvwr is pretty much useless since there's nothing to compare it to.

I wouldn't think I was the only one who has curious about this but since I've never seen it asked, I also have to wonder if it's a taboo subject that i'm not supposed to ask about? :angel
Some manufactures give you the CCC or cargo carrying capacity which should be at or near the GVWR minus the Unloaded vehicle weight. If you see CCC, like mine shows, you can calculate Unloaded weight.
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:10 PM   #5

Knowing the unloaded vehicle weight is very important to me also. Further I want to know weights on axles besides just a total UVW. If there is a specific brand, model, year, etc. you are interested in just post that info & hopefully someone can get you the info you seek. Oh my UVW is about 39K & I believe GVWR is 47K.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:15 PM   #6

Because each coach has multiple variables of options factory installed , the UVW and CCC vary from coach to coach .

The bare coach CCC ; in a brochure ; doesn't do much good if at the end of the assembly line the options add 1,300 lbs to the UVW , and drops the CCC; like mine did.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:31 PM   #7

Newmar is the only one that posts them for each coach. As stated, options will make a difference so the weight on the web site or brochure is not completely accurate but can give you an estimate for comparison.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Because each coach has multiple variables of options factory installed , the UVW and CCC vary from coach to coach .

The bare coach CCC ; in a brochure ; doesn't do much good if at the end of the assembly line the options add 1,300 lbs to the UVW , and drops the CCC; like mine did.
Yes, I eluded to that fact. Still, a certain model, with the same options, on the same chassis, should all be fairly close to weighing the same. I know I can come up with the uvw if I physically look at the placard on an already built coach. But when researching online, there is absolutely nothing.

I know having this info is no substitute for actually having the coach I buy weighed. On the other hand, it would certainly be of help in determining whether the coach I was interested in had enough carrying capacity for my needs before I put too much research time and effort into it.

Just figured there would be a website, blog, pdf file, something on the net, that had some basic numbers to give a person a starting point. It's all very hush hush.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomersooner View Post
Newmar is the only one that posts them for each coach. As stated, options will make a difference so the weight on the web site or brochure is not completely accurate but can give you an estimate for comparison.
But that is my complaint,, that websites and brochures don't give a person any info about unloaded vehicle weight.

This just doesn't seem hard to me. Why can't a manufacturer weigh a certain model with standard features, no options, and post that information? Then at the same time, weigh the same model with every option and then post that information? Wouldn't it seem likely that just about every one of that model would weigh somewhere between the two numbers?
Old 08-22-2018, 12:03 AM   #10

I think Thor weighs each coach and puts that weight on the label as a CCC by subtracting uvw from gvw. At least that is what I was told. If that is true then each coach would be different due to options, and maybe that is why they can't publish a uvw.????
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:22 AM   #11
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Tiffin also weighs each coach after it finishes final assembly and before delivery to the dealer. They provide the information on a weight sheet which shows the UVW of our 2017 Phaeton 40IH is 32,873lbs or 14,911kg. The GVWR is 39,600lbs or 17,963kg leaving a CCC of 6,727lbs or 3,052,g.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 12:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Tiffin also weighs each coach after it finishes final assembly and before delivery to the dealer. They provide the information on a weight sheet which shows the UVW of our 2017 Phaeton 40IH is 32,873lbs or 14,911kg. The GVWR is 39,600lbs or 17,963kg leaving a CCC of 6,727lbs or 3,052,g.
And Winnebago does the same. In my case, I ordered my coach before I ever thought about or realized that some coaches get manufactured way too close to their gvwr. Ours in particular is fine but what if I had discovered after it came in, that it had a combined CCC and SCWR of only a 1000 lbs? I'd have pretty much been stuck with a MH that could barely carry us and the necessities. Filling the fresh water tank or adding other optional incidentals would certainly exceed the rating.

I was looking online at a smaller motorhome built on the Promaster chassis. It's gvwr was 9350 lbs so I already have the feeling that's too close to the build weight. It would just be nice having an inkling of what the uvw was so I could alleviate that bad feeling.

Tags
motorhome, weight